More fun
Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)

Chapter 2 by Daylan Daylan

What's next?

To Breed A Queen

A number of years ago, well before my lifetime, there were a lot more humans in the world. Of the "higher" races, we had been the most numerous by far and while we may not have been the most peaceful, we weren't exactly evil brutes just looking to destroy everything either. We honestly did make more than a few attempts to get along with our elven, dwarven, orcish, and draconian neighbors, but those attempts were met with either guarded caution or a skeptical stink-eye at best.

The reason for this became known when the War of the United Monster Races began. As the name suggests, it involved the various Monster races of the world suddenly being united by a powerful and that had them engage in a war of extermination against Humanity. Our kind could certainly handle different kinds of monsters, who were normally more solitary and disorganized, when they acted separately, but as an organized and unified fighting we stood no chance and our numbers began to dwindle as a result.

We asked, begged, and pleaded for help from the other "higher" races but our cries fell on deaf ears. You see, it turns out the gods that made them and the god that made us were different. Their gods had only ever created the "higher" races while the one who made us had also been responsible for the creation of the Monster races. From their perspective, humanity had never been a true "higher" race, but a Monster that only pitifully played at being one. That meant this war, again from their perspective, was an internal matter. Thus, while they would not join in on or celebrate our annihilation, they would do nothing to stop or mourn it either.

But then, unexpectedly, one of those "higher" races broke rank and rushed to humanity's side. One that had faced many centuries of alienation and contempt-filled mistrust themselves and decided, if that was how things were going to be, they may as well stick with perhaps the only other race, our race, that might be able to relate to them.

The Dark Elves.

With the addition of the Dark Elves soldiers to bolster our ranks and so many new forms of ancient magics they taught us, we were more than able to hold our ground until the final battle where a small band of legendary heroes was able to break through enemy lines, find the evil behind the unifying the monsters, and slay it. Thus, the monster races returned to their baser natures, disbanded, and left in their wake a new alliance of two "higher" races that still got stink-eyes from the others... but which they could grudgingly accept was an alliance that was here to stay.

So what does that whole history lesson have to do with the Dark Elf Queen Asle being admitted to my family's mansion, I presume giving her entourage the slip, making her way to the little library room that I usually keep to myself in, and is now sitting down on the plush couch near the large window at the back? I have no idea!

I know our kingdom has a direct alliance with hers and she has been to some of the social functions my mother the Duchess and the Duke have hosted in our home in the past. I even managed to see her from a distance once ten years ago, having slipped out of my room one night to look out a window that lets me see the garden area, where one such function was taking place. I had been curious about these gatherings I could not be part of but ended up spending most of my time there gazing at her until her head turned ever so slightly in my direction and, fearing I had been spotted, I raced all the way back to this private library to hide.

Come to think of it, this room is nestled in a far corner of the third floor and would be VERY hard to accidentally stumble into. If she simply wanted to slip away for a moment from whatever royal business has brought her here today, there were other, more comfortable but still isolated rooms she would have found well before this one.

Asle looks up from a book of fables that she must have grabbed from one of the shelves, her deep red eyes framed by the small reading spectacles balanced on her pert nose. My mouth and throat go dry under her intense gaze and not only because it is unexpected to see her here. She had looked stunningly beautiful even from the only distance I have seen her from until now, so to see that beauty in a closer and greater detail than I ever thought would have been possible freezes me to the spot.

Her skin is a rich brown and her sharp face and slender neck are framed by her long, straight, jet black hair that goes down to the small of her back. Her very long, pointed ears poke out from the sides of that black hair and they seem to ever so slightly twitch now and again. The gown she wears is black with purple embroidery and a wide, purple skirt. The top has an opening on the front to show off just a hint of her cleavage, though for her a "hint" is already FAR more than the entire "answer" of most women I've seen in my life up to this point.

Eventually, reason and decorum manage to let me shake off the worst of my shock and I quickly lower my head as I start to step out and close the door. "My apologies for the intrusion, your Majesty," I quickly mutter.

Her full, dark green painted lips part as she says, "Stop. You may only close that door once you are INSIDE this room."

I reflexively flinch at the Queen's commanding tone and quickly obey, keeping my head lowered even after the door clicks shut. She probably just wants me to stay so there is no chance I can tell someone else she is here. Is lowering my head enough in a situation like this? Should I be kneeling?

I hear what almost sounds like a dry chuckle coming from Asle's direction before she says, "Raise your head. There is no need for such deference. I have come to this abode see you, after all."

My head snaps up as ordered, a single, obvious question racing through my mind.

And That Question Is...

Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)