More fun
Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)

Chapter 4 by SpiralFelix SpiralFelix

Where are they going for today's investigation?

An old abandoned mansion

The Carter Mansion for New Families was built in 1903, and had initially been intended as something of a boarding home for impoverished young married couples, especially those who had children. However, over the years it had severed several purposes, including a stretch of time as in "insane asylum" before it was permanently closed in 1955. That was what had begun its haunted reputation, which had only grown in the decades since.

"Let's hurry up, guys!" she called as she deposited her final handful of equipment into the back of their van. She then hopped into the shotgun seat and started impatiently tapping her fingers on the dashboard.

"Calm down. I'm pretty sure the ghosts aren't going anywhere," Aaron said, already sitting in one of the backseats of the vehicle. "Or lack thereof..." he added softly.

"The spiritual entities," Mackenzie emphasized, trying not to bristle at her cameraman's skepticism, "aren't what I'm worried about. I want to make sure we have plenty of time for the exterior shots of the building before the sun starts setting!"

"Almost done, Mackenzie!" Jason called as he finished placing a large case of equipment into the van. He turned around and jogged back towards the building. "Just got one more case!"

Mackenzie sighed, but decided to let him continue, even though he probably would have left the last case if she asked. The boy seemed to do whatever she asked, always with the utmost enthusiasm. The more they'd expanded their inventory of equipment, the more Jason obsessed over having every single piece of it on hand if needed. He was earnest about his work, after all. Even if it meant taking that much longer to pack and unpack their gear each and every expedition...

"We should be fine for time. This place is barely an hour away," Zack said from the driver's seat as he scrolled through his phone. He added, "Not sure why you've been dying to check out this place in particular. It's already been investigated by, like, three other teams. None of them found much of anything."

"We'll see about that..." Mackenzie said. She'd had a particular feeling about this place, ever since she researched it. She was confident they'd be able to find something the other paranormal investigation teams had missed.

"I still say we're in for a snoozer of an episode, but whatever," Zack said.

"A-all set!" Jason said a moment later before closing the van doors. He hopped in the other backseat and, panting slightly, said, "Sorry that too so long, Mackenzie!"

"Hm?" the redhead asked. Her mind had been focused on the upcoming investigation, but seeing Jason sitting behind her she cried out excitedly, "Alright, let's hit the road then!"

True enough, it was only 70 minutes later, that their van pulled up on the grounds of the mansion. Mackenzie hopped out of the van, wearing her signature look: tight blue jeans and a leather jacket, with a gray long sleeve shirt underneath and sturdy black boots to complete the look.

As she and Jason unpacked, Aaron and Zack got to work on getting as many exterior shots of the building and grounds as possible. The dilapidated building was certainly big enough, and gave off a sufficiently haunted aura. After decades of abandonment, the thing was practically in shambles. Nearly all of its windows were boarded up, and a few (disturbingly) had metal bars over the windows. Big sections of the walls were covered in superficial damage, weathered decay, and countless layers of graffiti.

After spending an hour or two setting everything up, the four of them grouped together in the foyer they had agreed to designate as their base for the night. As they were reviewing the blueprint of the building, though, she was suddenly overcome with goosebumps. For just a moment, she swore she felt something like fingers brush against the back of her neck. When she turned around, though, there was nothing behind her. Just a dusty, empty foyer. Mackenzie shivered slightly.

"You alright, Mackenzie?" Jason asked from beside her, noticing her sudden discomfort. That brought her back to the present, and her enthusiasm came with it. If anything, the pervasive creepy atmosphere was only going to lead to more phenomena for the team to capture.

"Just fine!" Mackenzie loudly said, trying her best to brush off the eerie feeling, "Alright guys, time to get to work! First thing tonight is..."

What does the team do first?

Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)