More fun
Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)

Chapter 2 by Stalagg Stalagg

What are you?

Treasure Goblin

You are easily the weakest entity in the entire game. Not in the sense of health, you have more than any other creature in the nearby zone save for the boss and some mini-bosses. But in that you have no way of physically defending yourself. That's right, your attack value is zero! Pests like rats and snakes at the very least have 1 attack but not you. your nature leads you to fleeing combat whenever it occurs so there is zero chance of causing actual damage to something. For most this would be frustrating and you would agree there are times when you'd like to kick someone else around for a change, but you learn to live with what you've got. And what you've got is something rather special.

Allow me to explain, you are a Treasure Goblin. A 'Loot Pinata' as adventurers call you, as well as 'fucking thing', 'gangly freak', 'sack carrier', the list goes on. Whereas some lesser monsters exist to teach heroes the basics of the game or to introduce new mechanics they have to learn, Treasure Goblins exist solely for the sake of tempting greedy adventurers with the promise of easy to get loot. Easy is entirely subjective though because any true Treasure Goblin worth his salt makes it their goal to make adventurers curse the ground they walk upon for how difficult we make the chase. No matter the level difference or how long a hero has been in the business there isn't a single one alive that can resist trying to kill a Treasure Goblin.

You stand at a hunched three feet tall, four if you were to ever stand upright. The massive sack of treasure however prevents you from doing this and as if you're ever setting your Sack down. Your skin is sickly grey and leathery to the touch, glowing yellow eyes shine in your head and a long whip-like tongue darts in between your crooked teeth. Your body is garbed in peasant rags with curled wool shoes and a grey cap kept firmly on your bald head. You open your stat menu out of curiosity, checking up on yourself every now and again when nothing is going on.

Treasure Goblin
Level: 1
Health: 100
Melee Attack: 0
Ranged Attack: 0
Weaknesses: Frost and Traps
Special Abilities:
Looter: Can interact with items in the world so long as it's not inside of a container or inventory.
Treasure Goblin Sack: Whenever you take damage a random amount of treasure is dropped from your sack.

Closing down your stat menu you take a look at your immediate surroundings and smile wistfully. Ahh, the Caverns of Kaligoth. Named after the zone's ill tempered boss (who was a rather spiteful Giant Bat as you last remembered running past his chamber), it was a winding series of dark tunnels and caves infested with swarms of irritable bats and rats, a few shambling skeletons, a tribe of cannibal Gnomes, and of course the ever infamous pits of darkness many careless adventurers have stumbled off into their certain demise. It was the first real challenge new heroes would go up against as it required actual teamwork from parties to navigate the caves. It was a large and confusing zone so supplies sometimes could run low and turning back would ruin any progress the party would have made as well as potentially not even work if their sense of direction was off. Unfortunately sometimes that isn't the case as higher level heroes enjoy coming to the Caverns to farm exp and easy to aquire treasure.

Treasure Goblins are noteworthy enough to where heroes will do whatever they have to in order to get your loot. It was both flattering and tiresome really to be such a focus for heroes. But when you drop more gold than the zone's boss that type of a reaction isn't out of the question. You're a thief and a greedy bastard at heart so you can sympathize with a hero's desire for riches and loot, though not when it gets an arrow or an axe in your skull.

Sighing from encroaching boredom, you wished that something would change in your existence. You picked up some forgotten loot, heroes spotted you, the chase was on, you'd sometimes get away, other times you would be one-shot, and you'd respawn with no more treasure than you had before. It wasn't asking much was it? Is it wrong to want more as a Treasure Goblin? You would kill for a genuine answer if only to break the monotony.

Your answer comes in the form of a...?

Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)