More fun
Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)

Chapter 5 by supman supman

Who is it?

Darren, Max's ex-boyfriend

-co-written with sammycolt-

Her eyes narrowed and she cringed slightly. Darren.

Darren didn't wait for an invitation, instead he simple sat down beside her. With an eyebrow raised she looked at her ex-boyfriend. What the hell did he want?

“What?” Max asked plainly. They had 'dated' for a few months about half a year ago. They had first met when Max was, thanks to her screwed up genetics, in a very agreeable mood. He had hung around after that, turning a one night stand into the longest relationship Max had ever had. The sex had been good, and he didn't pester her with boyfriend things so she tolerated his presence. That was until she found him with his head up another girl’s skirt.

“It's been a while,” he looked down, “I just wanted to apologize."

That was enough to get Max's attention. “For what?”

“You know,” he lightly nudged her with his elbow, giving her his famous half-smile.

“That you screwed my friend behind my back?” Max spat and turned back to the half empty beer in front of her. Great. Like her night hadn’t been fucked up enough.

“Yeah… that…” Darren let out a nervous laugh, “I… I think I never told you how much I missed you…”

Max raised her eyebrows and took another couple of gulps of her beer, ignoring the man next to her.

“I realize it was a mistake, you know?!” Darren placed his hand on her shoulder, obviously trying to get her empathy.

Max’ head felt woozy. Crash’s cheap whiskey was really nasty stuff, tasted like cough syrup and she already knew that she’d have a mean hangover in the morning. She shrugged his hand off and finished her glass. “Screw off, Darren!"

Instead Darren waved to get the bartender’s attention and with a gesture of his fingers he ordered two whiskeys. “Come on, Max, I’m serious.”

Max let out a bitter laugh. “Serious? You already came to me three times to ‘apologize’. Every time you end up blaming me for you not being able to keep it in your pants” She turned back to him, glaring at him through red-shot eyes. “You’re an asshole, Darren!”

He lifted his hands in a defensive gesture and she could see that his mind reeled in search of an answer. The barkeeper sat down two glasses in front of them, filled with an amber-colored liquid.

“Please, Max…” Darren begun, "You're right. I was an asshole, maybe I'm still an asshole. It's just I loved you, and every time I thought we were getting closer you would push me away. I was angry... and what happened with Justine was a mistake and I am sorry. I just wanted you to know that."

Max sighed. It was the end of the week, so more and more people began slowly trickling through Crash's door eager to burn off some steam after a long week of work. She was tired and had drunk a little too much and the bar was getting a little too crowded. Logan had put her in a sour mood and Darren wasn't helping any. She was done

“I'm outty,” she said to Darren cutting him off mid-sentence. She looked out towards the front entrance that could barely be seen through the crowd of people. Then decided to head towards the back, it wasn't much better. Slowly she began weaving in and out of the crowd pushing people when she needed.

Not finished trying to make amends Darren followed. Max stopped, blocked by the backs of two very large men, themselves blocked by countless others all trying to make their way to buy water downed beer at the bar.

“Max,” Darren called out, he had followed her into the crowd.

She shivered, feeling his warm breathe against her neck. The crowd moved and Max was able to move a little more forward. Darren did too, this time being up against her.

Eyes closed Max sighed. Maybe she had drunk more than she realized. Darren’s hands were now on her hips steadying himself as the crowd shuffled around them, the gap between their bodies gone.

There were too many people and it was too damned hot for this.

His hands wrapped around her in a half hug resting on her stomach; the movement was enough to pull her shirt up slightly letting his fingers sprawl out against her bare skin.

“What are you doing?” She asked softly, but her words were lost in the crowd.

The crowd moved again as a new wave of people themselves closer to the bar; Max had little choice but to move with the mob which pushed her back against Darren. She could feel him pressed against her. They had first met much like this. It had been too hot then, too humid and much too crowded. Max knew where those thoughts were headed so she shook them from her head.

She needed to stop this before Darren got the wrong idea and before she couldn't stop herself.

What happens next?

Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)