More fun
Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)

Chapter 2 by MegaMarshmallow MegaMarshmallow

Who Does Our Tale Begin With and In What Age?

The Royal Daughters of the Platina Kingdom (Age of Repentance: Year 9,969)

It was a sad day in Zariza, Capital of Platina, the heavens themselves wept as the pyre burned with magical flames that refused to be doused. The loss of any life within Thrall’Dom was a rare enough occasion as the magical forces that created the rules of this world tended to keep mortals alive till they died of old age. Battles would often result in the breaking of one’s spirit over their body and other such violent actions had similar effects. But there were ways to overcome this, though they often relied more on luck than anything else. Still such things were possible and as the pyre burning in the courtyard of the Royal Palace proved, no one was immune to this. Golda Platin, First Queen of this nation was dead. Killed by an assassin on the frontlines and now her body was committed to the stars as the pyre burned it to ash and smoke.

Gema’lyn Daxidor stood vigilante over her lover’s pyre even as people slowly approached her and offered their condolences. Her bodyguards kept a respectful distance from the elven widow but remained on high alert. Ever since the successful they had been on more vigilant than normal. Gema’lyn appreciated their dedication and loyalty. The rain came down harder around her as the fire slowly burned out, nothing but ashes remaining. Despite the weather, Gema’lyn remained untouched by water nor wind. A simple abjuration charm protecting herself in addition to her deep red hair and dark gown that clung tightly to her middle-aged body.

She found it ironic that she was left the last of the Queen’s extensive harem, she had been one of many wives that the human queen had taken in her conquest and unification of their nation. Little more than a political marriage to secure treaties and agreements from her people. At least that had been the case to those on the outside. The romance, passion and sheer sexual depravity that followed the union had been unexpected but not unwelcome. She had been approaching middle-age for an elf long before Golda was even born. She thought she knew exactly what would come of such a relationship, how wrong had she been, Gema’lyn thought with a sad smile as she looked back at the remaining assembly.

Her eyes easily picked out her own daughter from among the gatherings as she slowly made her way over towards them. Opal Platin, youngest of three princess’ and the baby of the family. Though that might not be as accurate as it used to be. Sure, as a half-elf she retained a sense o youth that her warrior siblings did not, but Opal had grown into a fine young lady. Hair with the same silky nature as Gema’lyn’s own but brighter in colour, a fiery red that matched her passion, and the hint of a blonde tinge to it, just like her other mother’s hair.

Her skin was not flawless like Gema’lyn’s own, rather it was freckled but pale from years spent indoors. Another remanent of the human blood running through her veins. Still her body filled out the black lacy dress she wore well, she had definitely inherited the elven curves and bust with all the grace to move about in such a way that left one entranced by the motion of that body. Around her, a half a dozen, advises and mentors circled her like buzzing bees around a beautiful flower. Opal had always grown up more sheltered than her other siblings, preferring the quill and a library to the sword and a battlefield. Still Gema’lyn had ensured her daughter could defend herself, teaching her the secrets of the arcane and further inspired her academic pursuits.

“Lyn,” a voice brought Gema’lyn back from thoughts on her daughter as she turned to face one of Golda’s other daughters. Amber Platin was a tall brown skinned woman with the golden hair of her royal mother. Most would think she was human at first glance but a deeper look at her features, which appeared almost to have been crafted from marble itself would tell a deeper story. Amber’s skin glowed with a faint silver hue in the light, her hair was brighter and almost ethereal in nature compared to her mother’s and her eyes shone with starlight. Amber was a gift to Golda from the heavens themselves, a holy child formed from the union between Golda and the divine, she was an Aasimar. “Are you okay?”

“Are any of us?” Gema’Lyn asked and watched as Amber’s facial features softened. She offered her gloved hand to Amber’s gauntleted one and ever the avatar of honour and chivalry Amber took it. She was dressed in a ceremonial version of her regular knightly armour. The orange and bronze of it a duller colour with her royal mother’s signet upon her scapular cloth that hung down from beneath her armour. Even the symbol of Noxumn, the Goddess Amber worshipped, upon her breastplate was stylised to display the scythe over the gavel. Harvest before Justice. True funeral attire for the holy paladin. “How are you doing?”

“Honestly?” Amber asked and got a nod from her elder in return. “I am glad it’s over… planning and arranging all this was a nightmare. But I am glad we did it. Queen Golda… Mum… she deserved this and for all of us to be here today to mourn her together. But she wouldn’t want us to keep doing that forever… would she?” She looked questioningly to Gema’Lyn, who had known Amber’s mother longer than Amber or her siblings.

“You are right. She would expect us to move on and move forward with her plan for our nation,” Gema’lyn’s fae hardened at this. “That is where the trouble begins. If you thought organising and planning all this was difficult… well we are about to go through the hardest part of any newly formed monarchy, the transition of one ruler to another.” Amber’s brow furrowed at this. “The question on everybody’s mind right now is which of you will take the throne.”

“Surely that would be… Jade, right?” Amber asked her lips narrowing in a way that reminded Gema’lyn so much of her passed lover. “She’s the oldest and traditionally…”

“Traditionally there has not been a monarch for Platina, Hell below our whole nation is not even a fraction of my lifespan old. Other nations do things certain ways, holding elections, passing such titles of rulership to the first born or the strongest warrior or even the youngest or second child and many other methodology that they believe determines who is fit to rule. But we have not had to do that yet. What happens very soon will determine the outcome of our nation going forward. Which of you wears that crown will be… it will be our future.”

“I see,” Amber said her face hardening. Until this very moment she truly had believed her older sister would rule. Gema’lyn worried now what she may have ignited within the devoted and determined aasimar. Would this lead to conflict between the three children? Was that what Gema’lyn wanted? Was that why she said this? Perhaps, but only time would tell.

“Speaking of her, where is Jade?” Gema’lyn asked with a curious brow raised. The oldest daughter of Golda had barely made the funeral at all. Only arriving very early in the morning. Of course, they would have waited, especially seeing as Jade in the cold north, had the furthest to travel. Luckily, she had made it and been there throughout the ceremony, speaking her piece in turn, alongside her sisters. Gema’lyn had yet to have a chance to speak with the oldest princess.

“Being her moody old self,” Amber grumbled rolling her eyes before nodding to a large lone figure that stood off to the side in the rain looking away from the gathering. “Do tell her I said hello. She just brushed me off earlier.”

“How very unlike her,” Gema’lyn said and shared a knowing smile with Amber. “I will speak to her. You go join your sister. She writes to me so often about how much she misses you both and it is rare enough that you are all brought back together. Enjoy this time while you can before you are all separated again.” Amber gave a nod that turned to a bow and ended with a soft kiss to the back of Gema’lyn’s gloved hand before she shuffled off in her plated armour.

Approaching the last of Golda’s children, Gema’lyn cast her protection charm out around herself and the tall, dark-haired woman before her. She reached out with her gloved hand, resting it up upon the shoulder of the broad, muscular woman, feeling the water soak into her glove. Jade’s head whipped around fast to stare daggers at Gema’lyn but her yellow piercing eyes softened along with her orcish features as she took in the sight of Gema’lyn before her. She was dressed in a suit jacket with a dress shirt that was soaked through so you could see her green skinned rippled abbs. Her tie was loosened, and her wet hair hung down over her face.

“Jade.”

“Gema’lyn.”

“Amber says hello,” Gema’lyn said, and Jade just grunted. There was so much of both her parents in Jade. The Queen and her General. A human and an orc. A truly explosive combination that culminated in the birth of Jade as brutish and course as her appearance would portray with a deep underlying aggression to her every action and feeling. But deeper still was a solid tactical mind that many did not see till it was too late, provided her emotions and thickheadedness did not overcome her. Deepest of all was a fierce passion and love for living life to the fullest and with those around her. “You should come in and talk with her and Opal. They miss you.”

“Ambs and I don’t tend to see eye to eye much,” Jade grumbled. “She’s too soft and I’m… well I’m me.” Gema’lyn had to use all her practice at showing great etiquette to not roll her eyes. If it was anyone else Jade would have shrugged them off, but Gema’lyn felt she was one of the few people the half-orc warrior could be honest and open with.

“You can both put aside your differences for one single night,” Gema’lyn said as a statement, not a question. Jade’s glare never reached her eyes as she stared down into Gema’lyn before her face fell. “If not for your mother’s sake, then for mine please. This may well be one of the last few days we are together as a family before one of you becomes Queen and the rest return home. Have you thought about what will happen if it’s you?”

“It won’t be,” Jade said dismissively as she cast her eyes westward back towards the mountainous ridge that was struck repeatedly by lightning as the storm washed in. “If it is, I will advocate, and Amber will take the throne. Or Opal.” She added it almost like an afterthought. Gema’lyn could see that Jade already had her own idea of how things would go. “Then I will go take my mother’s place on the frontlines, finish this war and return to go lead the next one wherever Amb… the new Queen sends me.”

Gema’lyn looked off towards the mountains along with Jade. Westwards in that direction was the place her lover had died. Jade seemed set on returning there to finish what Golda started. Was that the best such a natural born warrior and leader like Jade could do? “If there are wars that is,” Gema’lyn said and instantly felt Jade’s shoulder tense. She glanced back at the older woman.

“What do you mean by…”

“Well Amber always struck me as the most diplomatic of you three. I imagine given half a chance with what has happened, not just on our side if the reports are to be believed, a peace treaty would be on the table. She could negotiate that as Queen and without our conquest of the eastern lands we are boxed in on this continent. We could try and go a sea route but that might be too hard to hold or expand into such distant territories. But that would not phase Amber I imagine; she has always wanted to focus more on our domestic development anyway. Perhaps reorganise our religious institutes, patch some major wholes in our judicial system and trial some new agricultural methods. I doubt she would want to expand further over developing our own lands.”

“Mother never stopped conquering. Amber can’t just…”

“She can as Queen,” Gema’lyn said firmly and watched as Jade’s eyes narrowed. “She can do whatever she wants. My Opal would probably do something similar. Use one of our well-trained diplomates, maybe even Amber herself, to negotiate a treaty. Probably with more than just the east but with the other nations out there. Develop our trade economy and arcane research. She has long wanted to bring general education to our nation for all citizens. Up skill everyone and build civilian industry. Not something easily done on a war economy like we have been since the start of this nation. In the end the outcome is the same, no more wars.”

“I see,” Jade grumbled her jaw setting in place as she echoed her sister’s words. “Maybe I won’t advocate after all. Maybe I will be like mother and rule from the frontlines. Maintain her conquest.”

“If you get a chance at the throne at all that is,” Gema’lyn said in a casual way she knew would goad Jade further. “That will depend how the crown is meant to move. The instructions Golda left behind… they will be revealed in the coming days by the royal council and then we will have an answer. But till then I suggest you relax, spend some time with your siblings… because everything changes when those words are read.” Jade nodded before lumbering away. Her face was like an open book. She was clearly left with a lot to think about and more so to strategize about but for now she would do as Gema’lyn said and join her sisters.

“Bravo Gema, bravo,” a voice said from the shadows as a tiefling stepped out, her own vestments of morning billowing around her as she projected a similar charm to repel the weather. “Two daughters that were happy to let the throne fall to the other brought back into the fold. This is going to be a power struggle for the ages.”

“I would imagine so Sly,” Gema’lyn said without even glancing back at the woman behind her. “I am sure you have your own plans for my daughter to take the throne?”

“You taught me well,” Sly said as she stepped in besides Gema’lyn, her red skin shining for a moment as the lightning struck nearby and thunder filled the air. Her long black horns curling back upon themselves like that of a goat as her hoofed feet in custom heels moved soundlessly against the battlements. “I will continue my duty as always to guide and mentor your daughter. Just as you wished for me to begin with. But her plans and goals, her secrets and desires, her aspirations and schemes are hers to have and not mine to share.”

“I have taught you well after all,” Gema’lyn said as she looked over towards her former student. Gema’lyn had been many things for her Queen and lover. Mother of her child. Arcane Mistress. Royal Scribe. Adviser. Consort. Ambassador. Harem Trainer. Diplomate. Even Slut and Whore if called upon. But her biggest role had always been Spy Mistress. And who better to fill that role than the woman sent to dispose of Golda during her rise to power? Little did her original handlers know that she would fall for her mark and turn on them. Of course, no one knew about her past anymore, except for herself and her first student, Sly. “I trust you will remain her companion and protector no matter what political changes happen soon?”

“Among other things, yes,” Sly said in a way that would make most mother’s feel that they were anything but a protector of their daughter. But Gema’Lyn knew better than most. She had trained Sly to be loyal. Not to her nor the crown but rather Opal over all others. No matter what happened, Sly would protect her daughter and look out for her best interest. Whether Opal wanted that or not. Gema’lyn could still not tell which of them was the real power behind the princess. To the outside world Opal appeared so soft and delicate, even to her own mother she seemed like a strong breeze may knock her down with only Sly and her other advisors keeping her upright. But Gema’lyn knew better than most. Her daughter had the hints of something more devious going on. But if it was Opal’s own plots or those of Sly, she knew not which. “Can I count upon your support in the coming days for Opal?”

“That depends.”

Sly arched her eyebrow.

“On which way the wind blows.”

“Ahhh I see you are not done with politics just because Golda has passed. Is that why you goaded the other two into having a horse in this race? Do you want to be the right hand of the new Queen as well?”

“I want what I have always wanted for this nation. A strong ruler. Any of them could be it. But how can we know the strongest if they are not pitted against one another?”

“I may still have a thing or two to learn off of you Gema,” Sly said with a grin of her fanged teeth. “Be careful. You may end up upon that throne yourself if you play your cards too well.” She faded back into the shadows as Gema’lyn laughed loudly.

Her? Queen? Well, she could not deny that if none of the other candidates panned out, she would not turn it down. She had the experience and the political pull. Perhaps she could make a run at it. But first she needed to see where everything landed. Who would be gunning for the throne now? Looking back at the three Princess’ she saw three potential Queens.

Jade the Warrior Queen. As fierce and fearless a leader as she was a warrior. With a tactical mind that could expand their nation over the whole continent, maybe further. Amber the Holy Queen. Literally the daughter of an angel and devoted to both the people and her crown. With a deep-seated drive to protect, defend and even avenge her people. With that she could well be the most just and prosperous ruler in all of history. Opal the Schooler Queen. A learned woman filled with curiosity and an academic mind. She could solve the largest of problems this nation could face and maybe even make the greatest of improvements to this nation.

But which would try to take the throne? Which would succeed? Which would fail? And what would become of them all? Whose tale of victory or defeat should we follow?

Which Tale Do We Follow?

Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)