More fun
Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)

Chapter 3 by Fantasy Fantasy

Dreams of possibilities.

The Labyrinth.

You find yourself in the longest hallway you’ve ever seen and undoubtedly will see in your life. It stretches infinitely and counting the doors at each side would be futile.

Just one look at all of this is enough to make you remember. This is the Labyrinth, a place that, in simple terms, connects the dreams of everyone in the world. Every door represents a person’s dream world. The fact that you’re standing here, in this hallway, and not in your own dream world, means you’ve managed to unlock the ability to freely traverse the Labyrinth, and thus, other people’s dreams.

“Oh oh, so you’re here once more! It seems the first time was no fluke! I’m happy for you!”

You hear a voice behind you. It’s the voice of an aged man, kind and honest. If Santa Clause was real (and he is, dammit!) he would have this voice. You look behind you and see its source: A smiling man, around his early-70’s, looking at you. His once black hair is gray already, but his posture and his bearing would make you believe he’s barely hitting his 40’s.

“Mr. Ortiz!” You call his name. You know this man. Your previous comparison to Santa comes not only from his voice, but from the fact that he gave you the best gift of all.

Knowledge of the Labyrinth, and how to get here.

Elijah Ortiz is one of your teachers at college. For reasons unknown to you, he asked you to stay one day after class, gave you two books, and told you that if you REALLY wanted to make your life better, you had to read them and come back to him.

You had never spoken to him, so he shouldn’t have known about your desire to improve your life. The fact that he not only knew, but was offering you a way to do it, made you read those books in just two weeks. They spoke of the Labyrinth, what it was, and how to get here. After finishing them, Mr. Ortiz helped with the hypnosis and BAM! You gained the ability to enter the Labyrinth!

That was yesterday. This is your second time coming here.

“I’d say you’re here quite late.” Mr. Ortiz muses. “Staying up late?” He asks with a mischievous, knowing smile.

“I wish,” You tell him with a chuckle. “I have a test tomorrow.”

“Ho ho! I see!” He nods in approval. “I was also one to study late at night.”

His smile fades, but his honest and kind expressions remains.

“So tell me, did you remember anything about this place while you were awake?” He asks you seriously.

You shake your head. “I didn’t, just like you said.”

“Good. I know you would rather remember, but this is to protect the secret of the Labyrinth. You can imagine what would happen if everyone had access to it, can’t you?”

“Total chaos. Everyone would be controlling each other’s dreams. We wouldn’t know reality from fiction.” You answer.

“Correct. Most of the people that have arrived here did so by pursuing their own research. That's most of the famous psychologists and philosophers you've heard of. Others have been told about it, like you.” He smiles.

You want to ask him many questions. Why did he tell you about this place? Why reveal its existence at all, and more importantly, why TO YOU? But he doesn’t give you the time.

“Now, since you came here so late, you won’t have that much time to mess around, so let’s skip the pleasantries and focus on doing some experimentation!” He encourages. “There are an infinite number of doors here. If you pick one at random, there’s a good chance it will be a door of someone you know and think about often, since those are the people at the forefront of your mind. However, you can concentrate on someone you know, and the correct door will appear in front of you.” He explains.

What will you do?

Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)