More fun
Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)

Chapter 3 by Nemo of Utopia Nemo of Utopia

Who are you?

Sister Loquacious The Peripatetic Of Sundval: Wandering Apprentice Herbalist, Midwife, Soothsayer, And Minor Potion Maker. (Elven Level 3 Cleric of Hestia/Level 3 Alchemist.)

Your name is "Sister Loquacious the Peripatetic of Sundval", which is the region where you live and work. You are an herbal medicine practitioner, relatively inexperienced as such things go, but not TOO MUCH of a novice, you can at least make truly useful poultices and salves when the herbs you need are in season. You also are an Apprentice Midwife, only licensed to assist a (Grand-)Mistress/Master or Journey-Woman/Man Midwife in a birthing unless no one else can be summoned in time, and even then you are only supposed to provide palliative care and let the natural process take its course. Over and above all of those things you also are an approved prognosticator, a fortune teller, a soothsayer. You are a mere apprentice at that trade too, but it's still a useful skill to have. Lastly, you know basic potion brewing and some simple alchemy recipes. Again, you are a mere apprentice, but the rough and ready tricks you've picked up serve you well on your rounds about the Sundval region of the Queendom of Loquat, and are much more helpful in dealing with the occasional band of wandering monsters and/or bandits than your goddess's combined favored-weapon/holy-symbol of a 'light' mace in the shape of a thick/heavy steel ladle which is ever on your belt, in your hand, or at least within arm's reach. (Yes, that time you helped deliver Clan-Lord One's youngest son and it was tied to your upper leg so you couldn't use it till you left the castle a few years ago still counts...)

You are a common Elf in terms of race, gaining points in Dexterity and Intelligence but losing them in Constitution, along with a few other useful race perks.

You are roughly 210 years old, give or take about five years, and were found as a barely weaned baby in a basket on the doorstep of the High Temple of Hestia in Derkholm, the capital city of Sundval Province and an area not much known for elves... You were taught all the things an elf should know as you grew up, much of it by visiting Elves over the years, and have moved from one Temple to the next four times over those two-and-a-bit centuries until you became a traveling minister at the approximate age of 181. It was not long after that that you were made a Quest Giver, and not just for a single side quest, but an entire string of twenty-five quests that if they are not done EXACTLY right with absolutely zero hiccups or unexpected delays will take at least a year and a half of in-game time to complete. Most people who stick it out for the entire thing it takes about five years to finish. This is because many of the quests involve gathering rare herbs, flowers, and fungi from hard-to-reach/dangerous places that only spawn there during certain times of the day for a few days out of the year, so if they screw up the timing of that quest the first time around they have to wait a whole in-game year before they can try that quest again to advance in the quest string. You are just as glad that after the first three quests they get to the first time sensitive one and usually give up because the fifth one involves you getting kidnapped and held for ransom by bandits.

Yeah, so not only do the players give you shit about the quality of the quest rewards, and the monsters give you shit because you're traveling through their territories and that's their purpose in life, but a lot of the NPCs, even other Quest Givers, give you shit because you have such a BIG set of quests and a few heroes have even completed all of them. Eh, better than being a nameless peasant, you guess...

So, knowing all that, you need to decide what the situation is when we jump in on following your life... Where are you? What is the weather like? Is it Day or Night? What season is it? Any births coming up you have to assist with? Is the country stable right now, or do we have another civil war/invasion* on our hands?
*(One or the other of those seems to happen every 30 years or so around here. You'd swear it's to keep the bands of NPC bandits topped up with deserters from the warring armies whenever too many members get adopted as PCs and/or age out of the lifestyle if anyone asked why...)

Where/When Do We Begin With The Story?

Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)