More fun
Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)

Chapter 3 by Rowenar Rowenar

What's next?

Improving her reputation

Asami let out a long sigh. Quickly she glanced in the mirror, adjusting her hair; it was simple, surface level stuff but every little helped. She had to look her best, especially now.

She kept her outfit smooth, her back straight, and her expression even as she walked into the conference room. Future Industries' Board of Directors were all sat in place, each with a few documents that Asami had almost memorised by now. None of it was good news.

"Asami Sato," one said. "Thank you for calling this meeting. There are... concerns."

"I'm aware," Asami said. Mentally she took a deep breath; it wasn't like she hadn't been prepared for this. "I am not my father. I know what he was doing with this company, and I have no intention of continuing that crusade. I want to focus on Satomobile production, and developing other new technologies to hopefully wipe away the stain he's left on his legacy."

"Yes, well..." he said. Asami glanced at him; his name was something like Shui, she was sure. He'd helped represent a few of their interests in the Earth Kingdom. "We're glad to hear you say that, but we're worried that after all that's happened, it might not be enough. People can't connect to CEOs, they'll hear the Sato name and assume the same."

"I won't step down," Asami said. "I want to be part of redeeming the company, not-"

"We understand," Shui said. He hesitated. "I'd be lying if I said we hadn't considered making that request, but honestly we need your experience. And even if we didn't, the name of Future Industries is as bound up with your father as you are."

Inwardly, she sighed in relief. She'd been worried about that course of action; at least so long as that obstacle was out of the way, she could focus on the real problems.

"I've looked at our options," Asami said. "Repairing our image is obviously the priority, and the two best ways I can see would be to give the people an association for Future Industries, and the Sato name, that is nothing to do with the equalists, and to start appealing to new markets. I'm hoping to make some contacts in the Water Tribe, it's the one demographic we've less influence in. That interest should tide us over until stocks start improving."

"We have... similar thoughts," Shui said. He hesitated. "We've had an offer from an Iknik Blackstone Varrick concerning you."

"Varrick!" Asami said. "Yes, he's one of the water tribe businessmen I've been looking at. I think he can be persuaded... Did he make an offer?"

"Not... like that," Shui said.

What was it? Why did he look so awkward?

"It was concerning you personally, Miss Sato," Shui said. "He has a... publication that wished to interview you, one with some popularity behind it. Improving your standing with him, getting your side of the story out, it would be beneficial."

"That does sound... good," Asami said hesitantly.

It was hard to be sure. If it was exactly as he put it she'd be fine, but there was an odd hesitation to his words.

Shui rearranged the papers in front of him; he pulled out a thin magazine, a new medium Asami had seen a few of out on the streets. There were a few people that used printing presses to talk about more niche interests, though mostly it was too specific to get any mainstream appeal.

There were analysts covering pro-bending, or for her field, developments in the fields of business and tech. She'd expect some business magazine to be interested, though that might be too limited in readership to get any-

She caught sight of the cover.

Oh. Oh. Not a business magazine.

"Excuse me," Asami said slowly. "Are you saying we received an invitation for me to do a nude photoshoot?"

"Well, uh," Shui cleared his throat slightly. "They always interview their models, it seems. I, uh, I only read it for the interviews. But it'll definitely ensure people who think of Future Industries wouldn't immediately think of the equalists."

Yeah, they'd be too busy thinking of her naked! Asami blushed slightly.

"This Varrick is a commendable businessman," Shui said. "It's probably the most popular publication in Republic City, let alone the other nations where there's less competition. If you do say your piece in it, your words are bound to get out there, and it'll put us in a favourable position when it comes to negotiating with Varrick."

"B-but," Asami began.

She faltered. This was not how she'd expected this meeting to go.

The issue handed to her had a simple enough cover, she supposed. 'Playbender' in big letters over the top of the page, then in the middle a photo of a woman lying on her back, one arm just barely maintaining her decency by draping over her chest, and a lucky camera angle being all that hid her crotch.

There were a few lines of text either side of her, advertising what was inside. An interview with this 'Opal,' more photos, questions about the last month's issue...

Maybe that wouldn't be... so bad, if it was to save her company. A few... tasteful, less revealing photos, and so long as there was more focus on the interview...

Her hand was shaking slightly as she turned the page, and she couldn't quite suppress a squeak as she saw the inside. Well tasteful went out the window, any photo outside of the cover decided to show off as much of this issue's lead woman.

Hastily Asami shut the magazine, eyes wide.

Dealing with Varrick was good, getting an interview in a magazine as popular as she was sure this one was, definitely good. But was it worth being seen like... that? Her cheeks warmed as she looked up towards the Board of Directors.

And did they even have a better option?

Can Asami go through with it?

Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)