More fun
Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)

Chapter 2 by pinkiepill pinkiepill

Pick a story

David, Daddy's Date

Most guys aren't as close with their dad as you are with yours. But then, Henry Hall isn't like most dads. He was the type of dad to miss meetings to see you perform in the school play, or put aside his work to help you with math homework every afternoon. You've always felt like he's had your back, and you prize your relationship with him above almost everything else in your life.

But things have been hard for the two of you lately. Four years ago, your mother died very suddenly. She was the love of his life, and he still hasn't really recovered from the blow. Formerly, he always seemed to be smiling, but now he's quite withdrawn. He was still there for you, but he didn't seem to be invested in much else, spending all of his time working or locked away in his study. It hurts you to see him like this.

You wondered if dating might be the answer. As a charming, handsome guy of forty-two, he would be quite a catch, but he usually won't give other woman the time of day. Probably for the best, since most of them seem to only be interested in his money. Still, you wished he could find a good match- maybe it would get him out of his rut.

One afternoon, you dropped by his office to give him a ride home. He was still finishing up a meeting, so you decided to chat with Pamela, your dad's secretary instead. A high school senior who's just turned eighteen might not seemed to have much in common with a fifty-four-year-old married woman, but she's always been kind to you, and can be counted on to give good advice.

"Now Nate," she said, "don't let your dad forget about the holiday party."

"Holiday party?" you ask.

She nods. "It's a big deal. All of the company higher-ups are going to be there. Between you and me," she leans forward, "if he impresses the right people, it could mean a big promotion. Heaven knows the man deserves it, the way he works. But he's still locked up in his own head, thinking about... well, you know."

You nod. The recognition and challenges that would come with a promotion would do wonders for your dad, but the way he is now, he'd be more likely to stand by himself in the corner than chat up the CFO.

Pam continues, "But it's a competitive position-"

Just then, Trent happened by. A thirty-something hotshot with a cocky smile and a constant swagger in his walk, Trent has always struck you the wrong way. "Hey toots," he calls to Pam, "I have to leave a little early today." (His shift ends in two hours.) "Got, uh, an important meeting, you know how it is." (A round at the driving range, more likely.)

It takes him a moment to see you. "Oh hey, li'l bud!" (You hate that nickname.) "How's it hanging? Take my advice, see if you can't get that old man of yours out of his office. I know he's sad, but hey- plenty of fish in the sea, amiright?" He winks and saunters into the elevator.

"And if your father doesn't get the nod, some cad like that will," Pamela continues. She's right, unfortunately. Despite his flagrant lack of effort, Trent's always had the right touch with the bosses. The holiday party will be the perfect time for him to make his move.

"As much as I hate to admit it, though, Trent might have a point. Your mother was an amazing woman, but she wouldn't want to see him moping like this for the rest of his life. What your father needs is-" she leans forward in a conspiratory manner, "-a date. It would really get his confidence up, and a bit of arm candy might draw the boss man's eye when it counts."

You find yourself nodding in agreement. A date would jar your dad from his depression and give him the extra push he needed to seize the initiative.

"But he'd never ask anyone out," you sigh. "And I don't know any woman who I could get to ask him out."

Pamela smiles. "You're a smart boy, Nate, I'm sure you'll figure something out."

That evening at dinner, you try to delicately broach the question and ask him if there's anyone he's interested in, and that it might be nice for him to get a date to the holiday party. He just shakes his head. You hope maybe he'll come around, but a few days pass and it becomes clear he's not going to do anything. Frustrated, you push on him some more, and he confesses, "I've haven't been on the dating circuit for over twenty years. I wouldn't know what to do or say. And besides, the date is too close. I won't find anyone now."

And that seems to be the end of it. But you won't accept failure. You love your dad, and you know he needs this. But what to do now?

That evening, as you browse some sites of questionable taste, you come upon an online ad. "X-Change: the fast-acting, temporary, gender swapping pills! Now available over the counter from your local pharmacy!"

An idea has been planted in your head...

What do you do next?

Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)