More fun
Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)

Chapter 3

What KIND of Critter are you?

Critter (Snake)

You are a common 'Garden Snake', a 0th level Critter, but you have your intelligence and can bite for one damage. ~Whop-de-do! I can kill other critters.~ You think for the thousandth time and more. All 0th level critters have only one HP, so against them your bite is lethal, BUT, 0th level 'Critter' type creatures are worth no XP, so while you can hunt and kill as many Field Rats as you damned well please, it will bring you no closer to your goal of breaking out of this cycle of endless slaughter at the hands of the players.

Speaking of those annoying players, you hear the fanfare that heralds their arrival in your area of the zone and slither under a bush to hide.

"I'm telling you Ronny there are a bunch of snake spawns around here somewhere, and you can use snake skin to make a medicine pouch that gives you resistance to poison!" One of them, a tall shapely Elf lass says to one of the others, a hulking brute of a human who looks like there may have been some miscegenation with a gorilla on his mother's part.

~It's venom glands that go into that medicine pouch you idiot.~ You think from where you observe the wandering party of murderous twits, who apparently are too stupid to even know that Garden Snakes are non venomous, the only things you get from them being a 'snakeskin' and 'snake meat'. The 'Snakeskin' can be used to craft a 'wristband of regeneration' and the 'Snake Meat' is a delicacy in some places, but that's all they get from murdering you, over and over and over.

"Hey I think I see one!" A Halfling, who's readout says:


Halfling: Belinda Broadfoot
Level/Class: 1st Level Sorceress
Hit Points: 4/4


Exclaims and you flinch involuntarily, but she dives for another bush and comes up with a snake held by the head, so it cannot bite. ~Dammit, she's got Trisha.~ You think sadly. You liked 'Trisha', while you had not been intelligent then you could remember the years before you suddenly gained sapience and you and the snake that you had mentally dubbed 'Trisha' after you became fully self aware had mated several times over the years. You wish like hell there was something you could do for her, but...

And this is when fate decides to intervene, The Halfling steps backwards as Trish hisses at her angrily and puts her foot down on a large fallen branch. The branch rolls out from under her and she falls backwards hitting her head on a small rock, going from 4/4 HP to 2/4, and gaining the 'dazed' condition, lying right next to the bush you are under. Trisha, still pissed at being grabbed by the head takes this opportunity to bite 'Belinda Broadfoot' on the hand before slithering away, Droping her to 1 HP left! One shot, one chance to actually earn some experience and put your belly scales on the path to being more than a 0th level critter! If you only have the will, speed, and strength to seize it!

The question is, do you?

Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)