More fun
Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)

Chapter 3 by MickGesitt MickGesitt

What's next?

Arriving at Kaya's Mansion

"I've never seen a house this big before," remarked Luffy as their new 'friend' Usopp led them in the back entrance of the most massive mansion Nami had ever seen.

"Impressive, right?" their guide replied. "Kaya's given me an open invitation to drop by anytime I want."

"Wow!" Luffy exclaimed easily buying the lie. "All of this just for one person?"

"Well, she lives her with her butler and a few other staff," Usopp explained.

When faced with such an elaborately decorated backyard filled with meticulously trimmed topiary trees, colored beds of flowers, and fancy sculptures... Luffy instead decided to bend over the edge of the well and stare down in the dark hole.

"Money really shows you who people truly are," Nami commented as she hung back with Zoro and appraised the place. It was probably filled with expensive jewelry, golden goblets, silverware made out of actual silver, and all sorts of a valuables that could be sold for millions of berri.

How could one girl live in such luxury? That mansion could house everyone in Coco Village. "Most people only care about themselves and what's theirs."

"Sounds like someone I know," the swordsman swiped at her. But she didn't care what he thought. They weren't a real crew and they weren't really friends. She wasn't going to apologize for being what she was and doing what she had to do.

"Aaand the small staff makes for easy pickings," the thief added. An empty, barely guarded house full of expensive items was a thief's dream target. She needed the money more than this rich girl. Lives depended on it. Usopp's rich friend could spare a few million berri worth of valuables that were just sitting unused in empty rooms.

"Why?" Zoro asked. "Gonna rob the place blind?"

"At least a little blurry," Nami shamelessly admitted. She wasn't completely heartless. There was only so much she could carry.

"So if you have an invitation, why are we going around the back way?" Luffy inquired after finally pulling his head out of the well and following after Usopp.

"Oh, I never use the front entrance," the local boy from the shipyard boasted, "This is more of a VIP entrance reserved for special guests.

"This guy's full of shit," Zoro whispered to her.

"Yeah," Nami agreed, At least she wasn't the only one not buying it. For such an obvious liar Usopp really needed to get better at it. "But as long as he gets us inside the house, who cares?"

Usopp then showed them all that he wasn't quite as welcome as he would like them all to believe when he was accosted by large man who Usopp called 'Buchi'. He did not look happy to see the lying intruder and grabbed him by the shoulders while an ominous maid with dark green-blue hair looked on with her broom poised like a weapon.

"You ain't welcome here and you know it," Buchi growled.

"I know nothing of the sort," Usopp blustered, "I'm here to give Kaya an extra-special gift."

"Usopp."

The Lady of the House appeared with long blonde hair, a flowing pink dress. and a pleased smile. She seemed to be having trouble walking and was on the arm of a severe looking bespectacled man with neat black hair and a fancy black suit who guided her down the steps.

The rich girl at least DID appear to be happy to see Usopp. So he hadn't lied about that. "What a wonderful surprise."

Usopp gave Buchi a smug smile as he flicked the large man's hands off his shoulders and approached the rich, blonde girl.

"Kaya! Happy Birthday."

"You remembered," Kaya responded, seemingly touched.

"Of course I did," Usopp assured her.

The butler cleared his throat and reached up to adjust his glasses with the palm of his gloved hand.

"Usopp. We've had this discussion. You mustn't show up unannounced."

"Nonsense, Kladadore," Kaya chided her butler before turning back to Usopp. "Have you come to tell me another story? I do love hearing about your adventures."

"I'll do you one better," Usopp retorted, "I brought some of my crew."

"Is he talking about us?" Luffy asked he turned toward Nami and Zoro looking confused.

"It's so nice to meet you," Kaya greeted them. "You all must stay for dinner."

"Miss Kaya," Klahadore protested, "it is a bit last minute. I'm afraid the kitchen hasn't prepared for extra guests."

"Please, Klahadore," the rich girl pleaded with her servant. "It's my birthday. Can't be too much trouble, can it?"

"Of course, Miss Kaya," the butler indulged his mistress's request. Something about that power dynamic bothered Nami. "Anything for you."

The rich, blonde girl seemed nice enough. But that wasn't going to stop Nami from doing what she needed to do.

"Alright!" Luffy cheered. "When do we eat?"

"You don't," Klahadore objected. "Not dressed like that." He turned to address the thin woman standing near the large Buchi. "Sham, kindly show Usopp and his friends to the guest suites." His attention returned to them. "You will bathe and change before dinner."

"A bath does sound nice," Nami admitted. As Zoro pointed out that morning, they were sailing in a sailboat that didn't even have a bathroom. This was a rare opportunity to pamper herself.

In the end... Usopp had done what he said he would... he got them into the mansion and an audience with the owner. Maybe he wasn't a complete liar. In fact, Nami was willing to be that she was bigger liar than him. Or, if nothing else, a better one.

Luffy, Nami and Usopp followed Sham into the mansion while Zoro hung back and eyed Klahadore before eventually coming after them.

This worked out perfectly. Nami would finally have a chance to bathe and change into some clean clothes, they'd partake in a fancy dinner and could try to ask their host about giving them a ship. She'd refuse, obviously. Because what kind of rich person gave things away for free? Then, the thief would take advantage of the lax security and rob the place blurry.

What could possibly go wrong?

What happens next?

Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)