More fun
Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)

Chapter 4 by jmueller121 jmueller121

Moving forward...

A return to normalcy, for now at least

Time passes and things begin to return to normal, a few days pass, then weeks and months. You graduate from high school and summer begins. You and your mother adapt to Veronica's absence and begin to establish a normal rhythm around the house once again. Eventually you ask your mom if she plans to start dating again, but she simply says that she is too old to be dating and she wouldn't find the right person anyways. You tell her she is crazy for thinking like that, but you aren't sure if your words get through to her.

The trauma inflicted by Veronica's seeming abandonment of you and your mother causes you to grow closer. Although you had always been very emotionally close, your mother was always a very private individual and avoided close physical contact or public affection. But lately on some occasions the two of you had begun to do things like sit together and even snuggle a bit when watching a movie together.

As summer passes by, working a part time job and having fun with friends, it comes time to make all the necessary preparations for going off to college and moving into the freshman dorms. One night when you return home from an evening out with friends, your mother seems to be waiting for you at the dining room table. As you make eye contact, she asks you to sit down.

"Nick, I'm so sorry, but we aren't going to be able to afford your college tuition" she says.

"What? Why not?"

"Without Veronica's salary and savings, I just don't have enough to cover it. I had hoped she would still be willing to help out with it, at least for your first year, but I have pleaded with her and she won't budge on this."

Tears begin to well in your eyes as you take in the news, but you stiffen your lip and try to stay composed.

Apparently seeing no solutions in sight, your mother simply says, "I'm so sorry baby."

Angry at Veronica, at the world, and yourself and your mother too, you trudge up to bed and yourself to fall asleep.

The next morning...

Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)