More fun
Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)

Chapter 5 by Zigurat Zigurat

Some time later…

The following morning

“Good morning, Kaz –” the red-haired witch paused walking down the stairs, eyes wide at the change in the ground floor. “Oh my.”

“You must have been tired,” the goblin smiled, looking up from his stone mortar, pestle in hand, the work bench cluttered with other sets crafted from different materials, vials of diverse liquids, jars of ground substances, and opaque canisters of components labeled in what she guessed was goblin-script. Behind him, leather stretched on wood poles divided the round stone room into three. Noting the leather stretched over the smallest third, Helga speculated that it was his bedroom.

“I was up early yesterday,” she stared at his endeavors. “You’ve – you’ve been busy.”

“Industriousness can be found in any race,” Kazex nodded. “I can’t speak to the early history of the goblins, but according to some rumors and speculations – again, the researcher I spoke of yesterday – we could be related in some way to dwarves.”

“Really?” her thin eyebrows rose into her bangs.

“It’s possible,” he shrugged. “Most goblins would deny it, but I like to think I have an open mind. Our complexion can be very dark sometimes, almost black or a dark grey-green, and the more insular dwarves I’ve heard have dark grey skin that is similar. And stories do say both goblins and dwarves arrived on the surface around the same time.”

“Huh,” her cerulean eyes blinked.

“Again,” Kazex said, “I show how different I am from the average goblin. Although my tribe’s not as lazy as some others. My – kith – is one of the largest and most productive in the forest – as goblin tribes go. Life is generally short for my kind, which I think is why we breed as we do. Though not with dwarves.”

“Oh?” she arched an eyebrow, continuing down the stairs.

“I’ve never met one,” the goblin explained, watching the redhead stride through the portal to the workshop, the leather door hanging pulled to the side, and turning about on his stool. “But from what I’ve heard, they kill us on sight and the anathema I suppose is commensurate.” He paused. “Have you met a dwarf?”

“A time or two,” Helga said, her nose tickled by a pleasant scent. The witch looked over his workbench, trying to identify the source. None of the containers on the wood surface looked open, but above the table were several herbs and flowers from the forest on strands ranging from and around the windows. “There is a mine in the hills to the east past the villages and the forest’s edge. We’ve – never talked about goblins before.”

“Hmmm,” the green-skin lowered his head, grinding at the leaves in the mortar. “Perhaps I could send a letter and ask about dwarf-goblin relations. Who knows? They might answer.”

“I – I guess so,” the witch blinked. “Stranger things have happened.”

“Like hiring a goblin servant?” Kazex grinned.

“Hire?” her eyebrows rose.

“Sounds nicer and more amicable,” he said. “Is there anything you need? I planned on gathering more materials once I finish up here.”

“Oh. Could you wait a bit? Until I get back?” the redhead asked. “There are some components I need to collect for some charms that have been requested.”

“Certainly,” the goblin said. “I’ll answer the door until you get back.”

“Um…” Her eyes fell on his loincloth.

“Don’t worry, I’ve sewn up a pair of leather trousers. Go ahead. I’ll mind the store.”

************

Knock-knock.

Kazex looked up, blinking. Already? Helga hasn’t been gone that long. He shrugged and slipped off his stool, adjusting the seat of his trousers. I’ll get used to them in time.

Stepping quickly up to the wood door of the tower, the goblin blinked in surprise as the portal opened on his approach.

“Oh! H-hello,” an older human woman greeted him, startled at his visage. “You must be H-Helga’s – um – helper.”

“So she asked,” the goblin smiled, bowing his head briefly. “And good morning to you, Mademoiselle. I am sorry to say that the Lady of the House is away at the moment. I can take a message, if you wish.”

“Um, that’s okay,” the woman said nervously, looking over the goblin’s physique. “You are – very well spoken for a – a – I’m sorry, but – what –uh – are you?”

“Thank you,” he nodded. “I learned from a researcher who studied my tribe for a time. He taught me how to read as well and I’ve taken the liberty to study the Lady Helga’s dictionary. And – to answer your question – I am a goblin.”

“A goblin?” her grey eyebrows rose. “I – I’ve never met a goblin before. You look – almost human.”

“I don’t know how I should take that,” Kazex blinked. “Beyond the biggest differences of size and skin hue, goblins do have more canines and incisors – evidence of a more carnivorous diet, though still omnivorous in total – and, if you look at my hands, you can see that I have claws on my fingers, though like you I do have a nail on my thumbs.”

“Huh,” her dark brown eyes blinked, taking in his held out hands. Her gaze rose, her breath quickening slightly at his muscled chest, a subtle scent from the interior of the tower tickling her nose. “Um – well – uh…”

“I cannot say when Lady Helga will return,” the goblin said, “But – if you would be so kind as to leave your name, I will inform her when she does.”

“I – oh,” her face softened, “You don’t know if she has – uh – anything ready, do you?”

“No, Mademoiselle,” the green-skin shook his head. “She did not leave any instructions beyond answering the door in her absence.”

“Oh,” the woman’s shoulders slumped, a small frown crossing her lips. “Darn. I guess – I’m Mariska. Of Howlett. If you please let Helga know, I’ll be back tomorrow around this time.”

“Mariska of Howlett,” Kazax nodded. “I shall tell her.”

The woman nodded in return and stepped away from the stoop. She paused, turning back to look at him. “Thank you, Monsieur. Until tomorrow.”

The goblin smiled back, waving, watching as she stepped between the trees. That seems like a good impression, he thought. I hope. The green-skin turned around, heading back towards his worktable, the wood door closing behind him automatically. Word will get around after this. I don’t know what the other humans will think. I just hope they won’t come back for my head.

Will anyone else visit previous to Helga’s return?

Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)