More fun
Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)

Chapter 2 by VagueJester VagueJester

What are you?

Shadow Wisp

Your existence was fairly repetitive. The dungeon you called home was the destination for the quest-tree players had to take in order to join the Church of Anari. Most early-game players joined the church, as the accompanied classes provided them with a wealth of useful skills until they reached a high enough level to focus on their main classes. None of them had any problems with the behavioural restrictions and chastity placed upon them, as they could simply indulge those needs when they logged out, or once they decided to leave the Church. As the Goddess of Purity and Light, however, would-be initiates were tasked with clearing out the dark tunnels in which you lived, defeating the boss at the end, and collecting the treasure it protected. On top of that, they needed to collect a set amount of Shadow Essence to prove their devotion to the light.

Unfortunately, this meant that you, as one of the few Creatures of Darkness inhabiting the mountain tunnel, found yourself being hunted, and thanks to the fact that your drop rate was only 10%, this happened quite a bit. It wasn't like you could even fight back. You were little more than a ball of smokey darkness floating through the air with two glowing, purple dots to differentiate your front from your back.

Name:

Class: (Common) Shadow Wisp

Level: 1

HP: 15

MP: 20

Attack: Physical - 1 / Magical - 3

Speed: 1

Defense: 1/2

Intelligence: 2

Charisma: 3

Dexterity: 1

Abilities:

One with the Dark: Conceal presence while completely in shadows. (MAtk * Int + Dex) - (EnemyInt + EnemyDex)

On the bright side, the softly glowing crystals did provide you with enough shadows to occasionally hide from the wandering heroes that pillaged your home, which was nice considering the most damage you had ever done was when you managed to land a critical on a low-level warrior, and did 5 whole damage.

Then again, none of this really mattered until recently. You were so resigned to existence within the perpetual cycle of and life that you were hardly even aware of it. That is. . . until _it _came.

It appeared in your little corner of the dungeon as a pulsing red light. It floated back and forth in front of you, and as your eyes adjusted, you saw that the light was being emitted by a red crystal that spun in the air furiously. Cautiously approaching it, you were able to make out words coming from the crystal.

"They think they can just fire me and get away with it? I'm the one who made this world the marvel it was. I _created _life. It's not my fault that those stupid hobos don't know how to do anything other than fight. What's the point of having Intelligence and Charisma if you can just stab whoever you're talking to and go on your way."

Curiously, you approached the angry crystal, circling around it as you examined it. You must have caught the being's attention as it stop floating back and forth, and you felt the strange sensation you were being watched.

"Hello there," the voice said, its previous anger gone as you tilted yourself curiously. "Yes, I think you'll do quite nicely. I can't do much without drawing attention, but hopefully, this might give you an edge against that bitch." There was a bright flash of light, and when you finally readjusted to your comfortable, familiar darkness, the crystal was gone.

You weren't entirely sure what had happened, but ever since your strange encounter with the floating crystal, not only had you started to regain your ability for sentient thought, but your desire to live grew stronger, and with it, a need to escape the shackles of this existence where the Church and its endless tide of power-hungry adventurers killed you over and over and over. . .

A noise further down the dungeon brings you back to the present, and you prepare yourself as your next would-be slayer approaches, swearing to yourself that this time, it will be different. This time, you will be the killer.

Are you?

Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)