More fun
Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)

Chapter 2 by Debbuger Debbuger

Cinematic scene over

Notes, Guidelines and Datahub

Small note

I do jump around sometimes, working on different storylines as either inspiration or a want to see an event chain unfold. If you feel I, or the other writers, have abandoned a storyline you were interested in, feel free to flood the comments, also liking a chapter gives feedback on what storylines people enjoy. If you wish to add a chapter of your own that's more than welcome, within the guidelines.

And yes, I am aware the Main Male Hero storyline has been dormant for a while, I just found out it's easier for me to write the characters after I had some experience with them in a shorter plotline. So I will get back to it, it is actually pretty well outlined.

Another Disclaimer

I might go into controversial topics, none of the opinions or actions of the characters in the story necessarily reflect mine. If I added those topics it's because I felt those to be interesting to explore.

If you found any of the topics or storyline offensive, I am deeply sorry, my intent isn't malevolent.

About The Story:

There are two stories happening:

  • The story of the game:

The story happens in a fantasy RPG game. If you played Bioware's RPGs like Dragon Age or the like, you know exactly where the story starts, at the last mission, where all the allies gathered in the campaign join together for a last fight. While the "villain" is more than aware they're in a video game.

Anything that happens in the world of the game should go there, as in what happens to the game's characters must happen in the game branches.

  • The story of the game development:

Slack conversations, kanban, emails, meetings, somebody pushing to Master. The creators of this half-assed game are also part of their own narrative. The game is unfinished for now, still unrefined, bugs all around, a cursed game development.

The studio is an AA studio, still using the old Waterfall model instead of Agile or Scrum. They are not a greedy studio but try to stay afloat.

Anything from explanation about the game's lore, game development dilemmas, staff drama and sexting between team members should go into this branch.

ATTENTION: This branch will contain spoilers for the in-game world.


If you want to add to any of the branches, add a side quest, new characters, alternative narratives, go ahead.

For the in-game: Imagine you're the level designer playing in engine and building the scene, so put characters however you want, you can change any values and variables, from the direction of gravity to how massive the girl's boobs are in the scene or how many instances there are of the same girl. Don't be afraid to use dead tropes or clichés, on the contrary, the narrative writing should be bad, what matters are the characters. A good guide, if you've read it, will be Redshirts, by John Scalzi.

However, if you're writing for the in-game, make sure to read and follow the game's lore. Magic should work in a certain way, cultures and their disposition to eachother is based on the in-game world's history. These will be expanded on in the Data Hub.

As for the game development story, this one is a little more realistic, not strict but more standard less fantastical stories. You have the full company roster to play with, plus their friends, families and people from other game studios etc. If you want to add anyone new, find a role they can fill.

Enjoy!

What's next?

Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)