More fun
Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)

Chapter 2 by Marcus Dark Marcus Dark

Which Monster do you choose?

Alexander Corvus, The Undead Avenger

"Hello everyone at home.," The friendly auburn haired beauty cheerfully stated, speaking into a camera. "This is Tiffany Royce the senior correspondent for Channel 18 News, Live and on site at The Pendelton Maximum Security Rehabilitation Center where convicted Mass Murderer Alexander Corvus is about to be executed for his crimes."

The front of the prison near the front gates was swarming with protestors and the friends and families of many of the people Alexander Corvus was convicted of killing along with other outraged citizens who felt that Corvus' trial was open and shut and should have taken all of ten minutes to convict him and not the seven and a half years that it actually took but most of all they were angry that through it all... The Trial, The Evidence, and The Eye-Witness Testimony he still maintained his innocence. The public was thirsty for blood and they all felt he was getting off easy with his coming execution by electrocution. After his crimes he deserved a slower more brutal and painful but his sentence had been passed and he would die this night as had been decreed by the high courts. High Courts Bah! Nothing more than a bunch of old Men in sacred robes they weren't worthy of even all those decades when they dared to put them on knowing they would use them to serve their own ends instead of serving the law as they had sworn to.

What can you expect from humans? They are corrupted so easily and with the first taste of power they become worse than any Demon. Corvus was innocent but he was going to die anyway for crimes he hadn't committed. Alex Corvus was a Man quick to anger but even quicker to forgive and despite how easily he was frustrated he had never harmed a soul in his life nor had he entertained such thoughts before but as he sat in his cell playing what he thought was his final game of chess with his only friend, Peter Walsh who happened to also be the only Man in the entire city courageous enough to defend Alex and most assuredly the only person to actually believe in his innocence, he would have given his very soul gladly to mete out justice with his own hands.

There were reporters everywhere covering the frenzy of hate and righteous indignation. The people outside the prison were shouting profanities and screaming hateful declarations as they waved signs adorned with curses directed at the soon to be executed Alexander Corvus the most infamous mass in at least the last three centuries.

As a black stretched Mercedes pulled up to the gates, The guards tried to keep the people back so that the car could enter.

"You join us live outside The Pendelton Maximum Security Rehabilitation Center to witness the arrival of Nathan and Erin Randall, The Father and Younger Sister of Alex Corvus' most well known victim Lauren Randall. The impending state execution of Alex Corvus may provide The Randalls and it seems the majority of this crowd with some form of justice.," Another Female reporter announced as she and her colleagues closed in on the grieving Father and Daughter.

Within the armored Mercedes, Erin Randall was holding hands with her Father for support as she saw all of the gawking faces staring at her from the darkness and all the journalistic parasites snapping pictures and shooting video of her stunned and mournful face. Her Father, A successful businessman was use to these kinds of situations so despite the loss of his oldest daughter his eyes and face betrayed nothing of the anguish he was feeling, the disgust he felt toward these opportunistic vultures, or the hatred that burned in his chest for those responsible.

"Why are there so many?," Erin wondered out loud looking from side to side at all the sickening faces eager to pick at her wounds and feed on on her suffering to increase their own standing in the despicable world that stole her beautiful Sister from her and her Father.

"Now just hold on to me.," Nathan said trying to comfort his Daughter as he squeezed her hand for support as the car came to a stop.

"BACK! EVERYONE BACK!," The Police trying to keep order yelled as Nathan Randall and his Daughter exited the protection of their Mercedes under Police guard and were greeted by a short Asian report with supermodel looks.

"Mister Randall SIR! Do You Believe This Execution Will Bring You Closure For You and Your Daughter?"

"Erin! Erin, Your Sister Has Been Gone For Three Years now! Is There Anything You Can Tell Us?," Another reporter asked as cameras flashed all around her. Nathan pulled his daughter close as she closed her eyes and covered her ears trying to block the shouting and painful questions. Lauren may have died nearly four years ago but to Erin and her Father Nathan the wounds were still as fresh and as painful as when they first learned of Lauren's brutal demise.

"A difficult time for everyone involved...," The Asian reporter began again, "Interesting fact: It will take about 21 cents worth of electricity to execute Alexander Corvus tonight, on this, his 21st birthday."

Nathan, Erin and a team of security guards disappeared inside to witness the execution of Alexander Corvus.

Corvus and his best friend Peter were still playing chess as a guard approached Corvus' cell carrying a large rectangular birthday cake adorned with 21 lit candles. As the guard neared the cell the door slid open and Peter looked up from the board with a somber and irritated expression on his face then he exhaled and spoke, "He didn't order that."

The guard, A black man of unremarkable features save for a rough-hewn face and vindictive brown eyes ignored Peters dismissal of the cake he and the other guards had gotten for Alex's final birthday. Instead he looked over to Corvus and said in a voice that sounded like he had just gargled lit coal oil, "We found the The Man with the Scar." Bending down he showed Corvus the cake... The icing was Red, White, and Blue and on top was a mound of meticulously sculpted icing in the shape of a human arm, The left arm to be precise. On what would have been the underside of the forearm was a series of v-shaped chevrons done in red icing.

"Go ahead make a wish.," The guard taunted but it wasn't the first, From his very first day... The guards as well as the other inmates all knew he was guilty after all if he were innocent what was he doing in jail with all the other outcasts and dregs of society.

Corvus looked over at the cake briefly coldly taken in the arm and the words, "Happy 21st Birthday Murderer" before smiling up at the guard who flinched momentarily then he returned his attention back to the game.

"Get. It. Out of Here!," Peter said angrily.

The guard straightened, disgusted and blew out the candles before leaving, laughing as he wished Corvus a happy birthday and walked back down the corridor.

"Have you been to alot of executions?," One of the many news anchors camped out outside asked a old Woman dressed in luxurious furs, expensive jewels, and more makeup than a Woman 35 years her junior could make look good. She looked like a 90-year old dressed like a high class call girl.

"Oh yes, I've come to alot of these over the years, but this one, well, has many unique aspects. The youth of the condemned. Now that's unusual. And 53 stab wounds! Hmph! Kind of a record not to mention the other 128 people he killed."

Alex and Peter were both highly skilled players who could go days without capturing a single enemy piece, Truly masters of the game but it was beginning to look like they weren't going to be able to finish this last game because the time of Corvus' final walk was drawing near.

Corvus had no desire to die but after nearly four years, Alex had made his peace with the fact that he was going to die for numerous crimes, no of which he committed. The way he saw it he was simply unlucky. It happens he would often say to himself. He'd had a good life, happiness, he was going to marry the Woman he loved, settle down and have children but that was over. He had been dealt a bad hand and he had to play it. A sad fact of life but he comforted himself with the fact that he had known Love and joy that few in this corrupt world ever would.

Corvus was studying the board after Peter made his move then he looked over to the wall where a picture of him and Lauren was taped. They were both happy and smiling, Lauren was in a beautiful sundress while Alex dressed in Jeans, work boots and a oil stained sleeveless shirt. Ah, Happier Times.

"And Corvus is still maintaining his innocence?," The reporter asked still talking with the old lady dressed up like a whore from the 1920s.

"Oh, They all say that.," The old Woman responded as sure of Corvus' guilt as everyone else.

"I saw those two fighting that day. Facing the chair, You do what you gotta do.," A weaselly looking guy with slicked back blonde hair told one reporter as the guards came to get Corvus.

"You okay?," Peter asked genuinely concerned for his friend as he noticed Alex looking longingly at the photo taped to the ugly grey concrete wall.

Alex looked over at Peter trying not to break down and cry, "The only thing that's been holding me together is the hope that when we die maybe we do go somewhere ya know? That I'll be able to see her again soon. Only what can I say when I see her? That I was too stupid to find the guy that killed her? That he's down here laughin'?"

Trying to comfort Alex Peter said, "Tell her... We'll get him."

Alex scoffed, "WE" Won't."

"Someday he'll surface, and I'll get him for the both of you.," Peter responded confidently.

"I promise. I'll find the Man with a scar."

"This mystery man with the scar, The ZigZag, Whatever? We couldn't find him. Obviously the jury didn't buy it.," Vincent Erlich, One of the cops that worked the Corvus case told the reporter interviewing him and several of his friends outside the prison with only minutes to go before the sentence of by electrocution was set to be carried out.

"Some people here seem to.," The reporter said.

"Hey, Look...," Phillip Dutton, Another Police officer working the Corvus case spoke up, "People here are protesting the execution of a 21 year old kid. A kid who had a tough life. No parents, No dough, Always had to fight for everything. It's a tragedy. It really is."

"If I was facing the hot seat, I'd want my attorney banging down the door of the supreme court not playing some damn board game but maybe that's just me.," The black guard from earlier mused out loud as he stepped in front of the opening door.

Corvus looked up briefly, "Maybe."

"Your Move.," Peter stated looking at Corvus without even acknowledging the guards presence.

Corvus was about to make his move when the guard interrupted his train of thought, "No! It's Time."

Corvus took a deep breath and he stood ready to face his end like a Man... with Dignity. Peter and Alex shared a hug then Alex told him, "I don't want you to watch. I don't want to give them the pleasure." Peter nodded with tears in his eyes.

"Come On Now.," The guard commanded firmly and Alex stepped out of his cell which had been his home for nearly four years and he began his last walk with one guard in front of him and one behind.

"The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want. He maketh me to lie down in green pastures. He leadth me beside the still waters. He restoreth my soul. He leadth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake. Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of ... I will fear no evil... For thou art with me. Thy rod and thy staff, they comfort me. Thou preparest a table before me... in the presence of mine enemies. Thou anointest my head with oil. My cup runneth over. Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever.," Everyone in the small observation booth listened as the Priest said a final prayer while the guards strapped Corvus into the chair.

Once the Priest had finished he closed his bible with a loud thump, placed his hand on Corvus shoulder and leaned in close, "And may you burn in the deepest pit of hell for your sins you evil bastard."

Corvus turned to look at the priest whose face while old was Angelic and innocent as he turned to the spectators in the observation booth and he bowed his head and made the sign of the cross before saying Amen.

As The Priest exited the Warden entered and stood off to the side of where Corvus was strapped into the large wooden chair and said, "Alexander Fredrick Corvus, Do you have any last words before we carry out your sentence?"

Alex looked around before focusing his attention on the people in the booth in front of him, "I loved Lauren. I still do and I never would have done anything to hurt her. Whether you believe that or not is irrelevant because it doesn't change the simple and immutable fact that someone else killed Lauren and the others and you are about to kill an innocent Man...."

The Warden, The Guards, and The Spectators looked on in disgust and disbelief because even now in his final moments, Corvus couldn't admit that he had killed his Fiancée and 128 other people.

Outside several large Crows were perched on the prison walls watching the crowds of angry people with their blind, bleeding eyes as a storm began to rage.

The Warden gave one the guards a nod and he approached the chair and took a leather mask connected to a number of electrodes and fitted it to Corvus' face before strapping his head to the chair. As everyone cleared the room, The Warden gave a simple nod to the executioner in the switch room to prepare to pull the lever and send Corvus to his just reward.

After everyone had left the room, The large metal door was bolted and the executioner watched as the final seconds ticked down and at the stroke of midnight the executioner pulled the switch.

Corvus' body twitched, jerked, and convulsed violently as the tremendous voltages passed through his brain and heart while the onlookers watched. Strapped in as he was Corvus' eyes were trained on the people in the booth, one in particular that was acting suspicious. Corvus couldn't see their face but he saw them step forward and roll up their left sleeve to reveal the scar that Corvus had described to the police.

Corvus' eyes widened and he roared, "MURDERER!" as the voltage tore through his body then suddenly a bolt of lightning struck the prison throwing the executioner against the wall, knocking him out while at the same time supercharging the generators which we're pouring volt after volt of electricity into Alex's poor body.

It was a terrible scene as Corvus flesh began to darken and bubble, The skin and muscle from his fingers melted as he clawed at the chair's arms trying to get free so that he could wrap his hands around the throat of the Man with the scar. The searing pain was unimaginable and as the Warden and his guards tried to disconnect the generators Corvus felt a presence in the room with him and everything seemed to stop.

Standing in the room with Alex was a beautiful Woman at least Alex thought she was beautiful but honestly with so much electricity passing through his brain he couldn't be sure of anything.

Then he heard it, "Please Forgive Me Dear Sweet Alexander. I Cannot Prevent Your But I Can Take Your Pain." Came the sensuous whisper in his ear and his pain evaporated much like his flesh was beginning to. Alex felt what he thought were lips pressed against his own but they were colder than the longest and deepest winter.

Smoke from Alex's sizzling flesh filled the room and an explosion rocked the observation room as the electric chair shattered throwing wooden shrapnel in every direction. Corvus' body was the only thing in the room not riddled with splinters.

Not quite the execution they had planned I imagine if it were an execution at all.

What's next?

Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)