More fun
Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)

Chapter 3 by Templar01 Templar01

Hitting up the Inn.

Time to Drink!

It didn't take long for the pair to arrive at the Inn, a rather modest looking building yet still larger than the home of Bartrand, with an extra room on the bottom floor, a second floor with four extra rooms for the Inns guests, and a basement for the storage of the Inn's supplies. The extra room on the bottom floor at the back of the Inn being where men gambled their hard earned coin away, and the two remaining rooms housing the Innkeep, and his small micro-brewery respectively.

The building was also built similarly to the others, thick wooden walls covered with a white washed clay to insulate it against the elements. Inside the floors were made of dark mahogany, and many smaller round tables dotted the main room, with the bar itself set underneath the stairs, a rather large looking man with pale pinkish skin and two white horns protruding from his head stood behind the counter, the Oni Inkeep known to the villagers of Erlau as 'Brick', diligently serving his customers. Between the tables two young girls smiled and laughed as they brought drinks and food to waiting patrons, garbed in simple green skirts that ended between their ankles and knees, brown aprons hugging the dresses to their hips accentuating their figures, and drawing more than a few leers from the dozen or so people in the Inn.

In the opposite corner to the bar a few young men were sat playing an assortment of instruments, the sound of the vielle, flute, drums, and saz filling the air, likely a group of troubadours travelling to Anhalt.

Smoke from various pipes filled the room, mixing from the subtle wafts of wood smoke that escaped the chimney, and the sweet smell of mead and well cooked pork. Around one table a rather gruff looking man wearing a worn brown gambeson protected further by patchwork of various plated armour pieces over his legs and right arm sat, accompanied by two similar looking characters wearing noticeably less armour flanking him. A vicious looking war hammer hung on the leaders hip, his hair grey and rapidly fading, his face cleanshaven but holding a brutal looking assortment of scars over his cheek and neck. His brown eyes watching as Gawain, and Elariel entered.

Spying Peter sat in the corner far away from the rough looking characters, Gawain and Elariel made their way over to him. A few more eyes flicked over to Elariel as she followed Gawain through the crowd, fixing on her ears, but she paid them no mind, come tomorrow they wouldn't dare look twice at her.

"Sire!" Peter exclaimed happily, quickly putting his tankard of mead down and standing to smile at his companions.

"Peter, enjoying yourself I see" Gawain said with a bemused smirk as he pulled out a chair for Elariel across from his young squire. The elven woman paused, her eyes flicking to Gawain whose face was impossibly hard to read, she could feel even more eyes on them now, curious as to why one so finely dressed as Gawain, and bearing the heraldry of Von Arco no less, would be showing such manners to Elariel, not once but twice.

Elariel sat down in silence, allowing Gawain to show her this kindness again before he sat down himself, "Thank you" she said simply as she crossed her legs and sat back in her chair, arms crossed.

"Hi there m'lord, what can I getcha!" A bubbly young girl asked as she bounced over to the table, her flawless milky skin standing out in the crowd, long tresses of auburn hair fell down to the curve of her back, bright brown eyes sparkling with happiness. Her green dress barely contained the milky white breasts squeezed within them, showing off a delectable amount of cleavage, her trimmed waist accentuating her womanly curves and youthful energy.

"Mead, three pints if you may" Gawain answers, looking up into the girls eyes and flashing a pearly white smile at her, enjoying the obvious red flush up her slender neck, she smiled and nodded turning to leave before he reached out, taking her arm softly, "Oh and some food as well, what have you got?" he asked, releasing her arm watching as the blush spread down her chest.

"Oh, well Brick prepared one of the pigs this morning, an' e' also bought some venison too" She answers, smiling innocently at Gawain as she clasps her hands in front of herself, squeezing her breasts together even more, though if she noticed she truly didn't show it.

"Excellent, we'll have some of the pork then my dear, bring the venison too as well as what vegetables and cheese you have" Gawain nodded to her, "And your name, young lady?" he asked, his icy blue eyes locking with hers. The young woman, unable to meet her lords gaze soon looked to the ground, her freckled cheeks blushing now as well.

"Lucy, m'lord" She answers softly, curtsying to the table before dashing off.

Gawain watched for a moment as Lucy sashayed through the crowd, a spring in her step as her equally pretty flaxen haired co-worker came up to her whispering in her ear as they giggled and looked back at Gawain, catching him watching and giggling more as they went about their work.

"Ah, I see. Not only a fool but a lecher as well, you almost had me convinced otherwise Sir Gawain" Elariel says in a flat voice, rolling her eyes as Gawain looks back to the table, catching her disproving gaze, and Peters own deepening blush.

Gawain chuckles, leaning back in his chair and propping his feet on the table, utterly relaxed despite the many envious daggers that were being shot his way by the patrons, "Why the anger, Lady Elariel? You aren't jealous are you" he teases locking eyes with the elven lass, the fury palpable in her gaze as Peter tried his best to retreat into his tankard, cheeks burning.

"Oh enough." She sighs flatly, her voice seething as she does her best to ignore the mans jibes, looking towards Peter instead. He did almost have her fooled for just a moment she muses angrily, for a mere moment he seemed suddenly like a Knight from a storybook, defending her, and being a true gentleman. She shakes her head, banishing the fantasy from her mind.

"Peter, take it easy on the mead. We have a long day tomorrow and you need to be alert when we reach the forest tomorrow, nursing a hangover simply will not do" She chastises the young boy gently as he sips at his drink looking at the floor nervously.

"Yes, of course La-" He begins before being cut off by Gawain.

"Bah, let the lad enjoy himself. This is the life of an adventurer, fine food, strong drink, and fair maidens" Gawain laughs, "Besides it's only Goblins, and apparently pacifist Goblins at that!"

"What do you mean, Sir Gawain?" Peter asks, brows furrowed in confusion,

"The Goblins haven't even attacked anyone boy, from the sounds of things we can scare them off without even wetting our blades" Gawain continues with a shrug as he scratches the back of his neck.

"Do not count on that, Sir Gawain." Elariel retorts, shaking her head, "Goblins are dangerous, cunning, and blood thirsty. You ought to take this more seriously."

"Nonsense, the real fight is in the North" Gawain snorts dismissively waving a gauntleted hand in the air as he smiled devilishly, "That's where the real glory is, we might as well be glorified chamber maids"

“But... my lord isn’t it our job as Knights to protect the people?” A nervous Peter asks, his eyes fixed on Gawain intently.

“Well... yeah... but they also need to have glory, honour, and strength too!” Gawain explains counting on his hand as Lucy returns with the drink and food, the wonderful aroma filling the table as his belly grumbles in anticipation. She smiles sweetly down at Gawain, her eyes running up and down his body.

"Anything else, m'lord?" she asks in a cute voice, holding her hands behind her back and leaning foward, her hair swishing slightly behind her, auburn locks catching the light of the hearth as if her hair itself was made of dark fire, bright brown eyes sparkling impishly at Gawain.

"No, thank you, Miss Lucy" Gawain answers, handing her a gold coin from his coin purse. Her eyes go wide as she takes it in hand, feeling the weight of the gold between her fingers.

"M'lord, this is... this is too much" She gasps, trying to return the gold as if it burnt her fingers.

"Not to me. Keep what is left after the food and drink for yourself, my dear" he responds charmingly, closing her fingers around the coin with his left hand as his right picks up his tankard of golden nectar.

"Th-thank you, m'lord, thank you!" she beams, her body quivering with happiness as she practically skips away back to her friend, the two giggling again shooting glances over to the table.

“So what is it?” Elariel asks sharply, looking directly at Gawain now as she tucks a lock of warm chestnut brown hair behind her delicately pointed ears, emerald green eyes piercing into Gawain’s icy blue globes. “Do you want Power? Glory? Or do you just fancy yourself a would-be Hero?”

Gawain looked to to the ceiling of the bustling Inn, thinking over what she had asked him. She meant to trap him of course, expecting him to answer with power, or glory. But in truth, as Gawain thought, looking deep within himself he found that he didn't really want either of those things. As the third child of his father, he wasn't expected to have lands or titles himself, instead he was expected to serve his family in other ways, which he pursued himself by seeking to become first a great Knight, then apply his skills to becoming a great adventurer. As such the idea of power held no sway over him.

“Hero... that has a nice ring to it” Gawain smirks, taking a long drink from his pint of mead, setting it down on the table, and fixing his eyes on Elariel. "Aye" he nods, sure of his answer, "A hero."

Elariel scoffs, taking a drink herself and helping herself to a rib of pork taking it between her delicate fingers and nibbling on it in silence. Fool, she thought to herself, of course he would fancy himself a hero, though, she had to admit that she was pleasantly surprised he wasn't the glory hound he seemed to present himself as.

***

Time passed quickly for the trio, the food was delicious, the mead strong, and the music warmed their souls. Soon the sun had set and they sat in quiet contentedness as Lucy stood before the troubadours, singing a beautiful song for the patrons who were silent, transfixed by the melodic beauty of her voice as it carried over the room.

A loud applause lifted around the room as she came to the end of her song, smiling and giggling at the rambunctious men, all captivated by her allure.

"She's quite the beauty is she not, Peter?" Gawain probed, leaning forward and teasing the young boy as he tussled his hair black hair making Peter fidget embarrassed.

"Y-yes... she is" he mumbled drunkenly as he turned to his Lord, a familiar drunken glow to their cheeks.

"Well, when you come of age lad, you'll no doubt have your pick of fine lasses across this land" Gawain encourages clapping him on the back, as the boy smiled happily.

In truth, Gawain and Peter were not that far apart in age, Gawain only being four years older than the boy. But all the same Gawain looked at the young man not truly as just his Squire, but his closest friend, no. Like a little brother to him. It was by Gawain's insistence the boy was taught the sword and not made a page or choir boy, it was also by Gawain's insistence that he became his very own Squire. No, Gawain loved the lad like family, and was determined to see the boy achieve great things, and gods help the fool that dared try and hurt the lad.

A thump at the table cause Peter to jump and swivel his head, as Elariel and Gawain looked over in turn to see the gruff looking older man stood at the end of their table, a grin on his drunken red face.

"So what the fuck ar'ya doin with a no good knife ear, little lordling" he sneered, looming over them and gesturing with his tankard.

"Excuse me?" Gawain seethed, staring up at the man as Peter moved to rise from his seat,

"Oh ho! The boy wants to fight me does e'?" The thug guffawed, "You any idea oo' I am you lil' pissant. Am Maric fuckin Redax!"

Gawain's hand moved to the pommel of his dagger as he Peter back into his chair with one hand.

"Enough!" Elariel snapped, rising and slaming her hands on the table, making it jump in place. "We did not come her to fight you good sir, please be on your way. We seek no trouble". Gawain looked at Elariel incredulously, his tipsy face one of pure fury, as if he was about to try and gut this 'Maric Redax' here and now.

"Pah, you think I ge'a'damn 'bout what you want, knife ear"

Gawain lunged forward, grabbing the man by the collar and pinning him up against the wall, drawing the eyes of the patrons, music abruptly stopping. Gawain felt somthing thin and sharp poking his gambeson, his eyes flicked down to a long, thin, stiletto knife jabbing his gut around where his stomach is.

"Easy there, lordling. Wouldn't want yer blue blooded guts all over the floor, they'd never get the stains out" Maric grins cruelly, twisting the blade further.

"Captain Maric, mayhaps you might want another drink?" a soft voice urges as a delicate milky white hand clasps his Gawain's forearm gently, urging him to back off, "I'm sure that Sir Von Arco merely misunderstood yer question" Lucy urges, her eyes not looking at Maric, but pleadingly at Gawain.

"Von Arco..." Maric repeated slowly, letting the name sink into his mind as he deftly sheathed his blade with a flurry. "Apologies, Sire. I meant no offence" he suddenly offered with a sneer, holding his hands up in mock apology as Gawain fumed, slowly releasing the man.

"Get out of my sight." he mutter through gritted teeth, a look of disgust on his face.

"Gladly, after all, I've this comely lass to keep me company now, you keep your knife ear" Maric laughed, suddenly taking Lucy in his arms, a large arm wrapped around her waist pulling her roughly to his chest as he violently gripped her chin, his back to Gawain. "This ones prettier anyway!" he called confidently as Lucy whimpered and struggled in his arms to free herself.

"G-Get off me!" She cried out.

"Gawain! Wait!" Elariel shouted, rushing over to him but much too slowly.

In an instant, Gawain's gauntleted left hand visciously grabbed what hair remained on Marics head, yanking him back with viscious brutality as the older man yelped in pain releasing the girl, then, without a single second of hesitation as the man was pulled away Gawain steeped around and swung a furious right hook into the thugs face. Blood and teeth splattered and scattered across Gawain's table as Maric was sent careening back landing flat on his back drawing more than a few gasps of shock from the patrons.

"You... you fucking bastard!" Maric cried in anger as he sat up, his nose crushed into his face by the of Gawain's gauntleted right hook, his front teeth chipped and many along the bottom now lay clustered around him on the floor, if he wasn't ugly before he certainly looked worse now.

Gawain seethed, drawing his blade and readying to drive it through the mans head, but soft arms suddenly wrapped around his chest, holding him tight.

"No... don't" Lucy whimpered into his back, and Gawain froze.

"That's enough the pair of ya." A booming voice called out from across the room, drawing everyones eyes as the mountain of a man that was the Innkeep, Brick, moved across the room with steady, heavy steps, his heavily muscular form bulging under his white tunic. "Maric. Get the fuck outta my Inn, I told ya ta keep yer hands offa the girls and my customers. And take yer men witcha"

Maric for his part froze in place, and looked between Brick and Gawain before spitting on the floor, "Fuck the lot of ya" he sneered as he rose and turned, leaving the inn clutching his bloodied face, minions close behind.

"All of ya, back to yer business. Bastard had it coming to him." Brick called out, giving Gawain a curt nod of approval before returning to his bar counter.

Slowly music and cheer filled the room again, with more than one muttering about what had just happened.

Peter stared up at his Lord in awe, a fierce look of pride on his face that masked his own anger at Maric for what had transpired. Elariel stood nearer to Gawain, and looked no less shocked at Gawain's actions, her face a mix of anger and confusion, she shook her head, saying nothing and sitting down.

"Thank you..." Lucy quietly murmured, squeezing Gawain's chest before releasing him to turn around and face her, tears threatening the corners of her eyes.

"You do not need to thank me, I am glad you are ok" Gawain said slowly, as she wiped her eyes, chest heaving slightly as she smiled softly at him.

"I should get back to work" She explains, looking to the ground for a moment before stepping up to Gawain, craning her head up and rising slightly she kissed his cheek, a soft warm flush filled Gawain's chest as he smiled, watching as she quickly dashed off, once more her friend rushing to her side.

"You sure gave him what for, Sir Gawain" Peter said with awe, Elariel sat in silence, not meeting Gawain's eyes as she stared at the bloodied teeth scattered over the floor.

"I'm going to bed, I will meet you both down here come first light" Gawain sighed, rubbing his face and making his way up the stairs to his room.

What a fucking day. He mused to himself as he slumped down on his bed.

A visitor.

Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)