More fun
Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)

Chapter 2 by Jizzrar Jizzrar

Which piece shall we follow?

The Story and Lore

Welcome to Conflicts of Divine Interest! Clearly, if you are reading this...then it must have caught your eye. The intro is very basic, but that's because the plot is just as. Let me sumarize.

There are 3 factions to play, and they are rather typical in most homebrew fantasy. There is the Allied Coalition, which are your standard proud noble races...humans, dwarves, etc...all that mushy righteousness stuff. The Fey Court...elves, pixies, and the naturey type. And the Kor'ghal Horde...greenskins, beastmen, and all things barbaric and savage.

These three factions have their own pantheons. It's speculation as to whether the pantheons created them, or they created the pantheons. Not of much importance at this point. The gods exist and these gods affect the world in their own unique ways. But they are subject to the will of the cosmos that keep them in check.

The gods themselves are numerous, almost infinite. But they have soem traits of their own. Some specialize in one thing, others stack up. But they are as individualistic as you and I. Every century there is a cosmic lottery to see who is Chosen, to be able to represent their faction and govern their territories as they deem fit. There are only five Chosen for each side.

And this cylce...we have quite the line up...

************************************************

Now the Factions in of themselves are nebulas in construction. You are free to add your own races, but they must make sense in the grand scheme...stick to high fantasy and have them believable in their faction. But, there are some obvious bedrock members that are just a staple. And the pantheons for each race combine into the Faction pantheon to duke it out with the other factions.


Faction: Allied Coalition -

The Allied Coalition is a unification of kingdoms made up of smaller coalitions. They say they stand for honor, pride, piety, justice, and righteousness. But greed, envy, ambition, and dirty politics always finds a means of casting shadows on the light. Sometimes the courtroom has more bloodshed than the battlefield.

Races:

Human Empire -

The Empire is made up of kingdoms of various sizes that formed together when the threats of the Kor'ghal Horde were obvious. They use to do petty infighting, said infighting still having effects that rear their ugly heads even today and causing some stress in relationships. Usually a stern hand takes care of the public issues...but private matters tend to get solved other ways.

Main kingdoms include the Shi'qae Sultanate (major trading and service provider), the Griffinwald Theocracy (named after the founder of the Order, they rule the Empire with a silver fist), the Northalkin Tribe-States (knights of the tundra that make the bulwark of the army), and the Saetra Confederacy (a former free-pirate state turned vigilantes turned navy super power). Only the Saetra use democracy for leadership, the others use inherited monarcy.

Dwarven Stronghold-Kingdoms -

The Stronghold-Kingdoms is a long-standing alliance of the Dwarven strongholds that dwell in the Dagger-Wall Mountain range. These mountains have caught off Humans from the mainlands with Dwarves acting as unintended guardians. Upon discovering the existance of the Humans, a trade agreement was formed that later turned into a Coalition. There is no way into Human lands without going through the Dagger-Wall...except by boat, or through the deadly Dune Seas.

The Stronghold-Kingdoms have the advantage of being around since the dawning of the world's creation. The incredibly long life span of the Dwarves plus their adherence to traditions have allowed them the luxury of great wisdom...though, at the cost of a stubborn attitude that put their mountains to shame. The hierarchy is interesting with each Stronghold ruled by a King. The successor is chosen among individuals from prestigious clans...who select children from birth that they groom their entire lives to be possible kings. When a King dies, he states how he wishes to choose his sucessor with a challenge, and the one who appeases the King gets to inherit the throne. The High King who rules over all of the Stronghold-Kingdoms is selected from the pool of current Kings by doing the High King's challenge.

Daeva Protectorate -

The Daeva are an oddity the likes of wich the world has never seen. Some describe them alien...others as angelic...others demonic. However, they had made their intentions clear when they joined the Coalition to help rid the world of corruption, darkness, and evil. And they care little of such things are done by the scroll or by the sword. Both methods are one in the same when striving for the greater good of all existence to carry the will of the gods.

The Protectorate is part matriarchy (since there are only females that produce asexual via a ritual with a rare crystal), part theocracy (praise be to the gods and all that jive), part military dictatorship (lots and lots of...well, conscripting the entire population for military and religious service). They enforce the Chosen Gods' wills without impunity...even upon their own allies if it is deemed necessary. Thus, there is some general distrust and unease when the sight of such angelic beings is present.

Chosen Pantheon:

Sylvese - A Saetra goddess of lust and love, sometimes called "The Chaste Prostitute" or "The Lusty Bride" also referred to as "Lady Luck" as the Saetra believe a good partner in bed or in life requires great luck to find. She is pictured as the most attractive and elegant woman anyone has ever laid eyes on, though is known to change her form to suit her partners best interests. Her attitude also changes depending on how her suitors view her, to almost nun-like chasteness or to be so delighted by sex even a whore would be surprised. There have been many stories of sailor-warriors and general-captains amassing massive wealth and accomplishing great feats to win Sylvese's affections.

Bruudalf - The Dwarf god of war and civilization, also known as "The Conquerer-King" or "The Father of Mountains". He is a progenitor god of the Dwarves, and it was he that decreed how Dwarf life should be forever. He hammered the Dagger-Wall upon the world and hollowed it for the Dwarves to claim for their own. The Dwarf life is that of war and crafting of things to use for war, especially against the Greenskin blight that infests their mountains and tunnels. He is also the High-King of the Dwarven pantheon.

Saetolus - The Northalkin god of domestication, reverently revered to as "The Lord of Beasts". Saetolus may not be the king of the Northalkin pantheon, but he is seen as a vital god, one that might even be more important than the God-King. For he is the one who gave the Northalkin the beasts and monsters of the tundras that they depend on for survival. From the ox to use for meat, hide, and farming, to the horses they use for combat and transportation, to the wholly rhinos for hauling carts. He is also for more than just beast domestication, but is also associated with the market that runs rampant in the Tribe-States.

Ahbrendia - The Dwarf goddess of motherhood, she holds no other name as the Dwarves would find it disrespectful. She is the wife of Bruudalf, but she is not attributed to be the progenitor that gave birth to the Dwarves. It is believed that Bruudalf crafted the Dwarves from stone and iron, Ahbrendia was made to be Bruudalf's perfect woman and bride...a role she proudly declares for her own. Due to being the goddess of motherhood, she is also attributed to be the goddess of Dwarf fertility. She has no hold on the fertility of other things, like beasts and crops, but just Dwarf birth only.

Jaris - The Griffinwald god of justice, also known as "The Grand Judicator" or "The Bringer of Judgement". Though he is the god of justice, it is relative justice. For justice in the Human Empire is not the will of the kings and queens of man and their courts, but the judgement of the gods. And the justice system is dependant upon the gods picked by the cosmic lottery. Thus, his decrees are based solely upon who the Chosen are. This cycle, it seems that acts of dominance, lust, and warfare are fair game for the gods.

Faction: The Fey Court -

The Fey Court is a unification of most of the wild lands, the ancient forests and bogs that unite to protect the wilds from the encrouching industries of the Coalition and the machines of the Horde. Typically the ruling body and military might comes from the Elves. But many other spirits of the wilds join the cause and contribute in their own ways.

Races:

The Elfin Lordships -

A united court ruled by the Elf Lords. The leaders and enforcers of the Court, those who carry the law of the Wilds, and the protectors of the ancient glades. The Elves burden a lot of responsibilities; responsibilities they take joy and pride in carrying. Once they were the most powerful empire of Aesyr that harnassed magic so easily. But due to an ancient incident, they forbid the use of magic and retreated into the wilds...communing with the beasts, trees, and spirits. They became the protectors of the wilds to make up for past transgressions that they find irredeemable.

The Lordships are inherited monarchies ruled by warrior-shaman or warrior-druids, the Lord's blood being held to tradition and legend to have been selected by the Gods themselves. It even is said in legends that the Lords themselves partake in a ritual in which the Gods themselves possess their forms...destroying the Elf they once was and become the Gods in flesh. Needless to say, the commands of a Lord is absolute.

The Saytr Tribes -

Sheep-men that were once members of the Beastman hordes and warbands, they now betray their own kind and join the Elves. Blessed by the Fey Gods, they are accepted by their new brothers and sisters of the glades. They were never good in a fight, though a Satyr can make good work with a bow or spear. However, they work well as spies, informants, and caretakers. Making up the support corps of the armies of the Court, you'll find them useful as scribes, entertainers, cooks, and medics. They are loyal and never shy away from a fight despite their rather pasifist standing, but the sight of their former brethren make them timid due to their betrayal and almost inherited memory of the cruelties their kind had faced in the warbands.

The Saytr Tribes are a patriarchial tribe in name only. Sticking with tradition, the males rule the tribal governments and run businesses and perform service. However, enjoying their own personal freedoms from their former abusive brethren, the males have grown...gluttonous. It has become a status symbol of a male for him to over induldge, become gluttonous, and a bit lusty. They tend to get very fat and lazy with many wives to take care of his affairs. The less fortunate males forsake the life of enterprise to instead devote themselves to military services under the Elfin Lordships. Thus, the women tend to actually work as the backbone of their society and do the actual governing while their husbands grow fat or bachelors toil their lives away.

The Treemen Glade-Clans -

The original guardians of the wilds before the Elves came to take in the load. They now serve as the last line of defense and wisemen of the Court. They are spirits of Fey creatures so powerful, that their souls inhabited the trees they once protected. Each Glade-Clan is separated by what kind of tree they are, which influences their role in society. They are ruled by an "Aged One", who is always the oldest living Tree at that time. Not much is known of the history of the Treemen, as they keep to themselves and prefer to never leave their Glade homes...except for when invaders encrouch upon their sacred lands and a retaliatory crusade is in order.

Chosen Pantheon:

Thal'roon - The first Treeman to ever come into existance, also known as "The Watcher of the Glades" and "He Who is the Glades". He was the first Treeman to ever be born, made by the soul of the first creature of the Fey to have died and inhabited a strong oak tree. Ever since, he has lead his brethren and searched for a home to call their own. Then, when battling a of destruction, he became the first Treeman to die in search of a home. His corpse gave birth to a mighty tree, his power so great as to cleanse the earth around him. His skeleton is the World Tree, or Thal'remar as it is referred to. His spirit is said to reside in the tree still, guarding his brothers' new home and feeds the Glades life.

Grum'tak - The Satyr god of celebration, also known as "The Great Hedonist" and "The Winecup that Never Empties". To those that don't understand Satyr culture, Grum'tak is harmless enough upon first hearing about him. Parties, music, dancing, food, drinks...all around a nice guy to be associated with without much consequence. But even when under the boot of their brethren Satyrs are hedonistic people...their duties shaping their culture. A typical party of Grum'tak's liking typical involve orgies and hedonistic over indulgence. If someone attends a Satyr party and not have been fucked by at least five other participants, it is considered an insult.

Vyl'sar - The Elf god of order, courtly referred to as "The Celestial King" and "The First Lord". He is the king of the Elfin pantheon and his will is absolute. He typically reincarnates into the greatest Warrior-Lords, thus making those that claim to be him and can back up are the High Lord of the Fey Court. And as the High Lord, they take on many other aspects of Elf culture, being their own judge and executioner of the law and their own best military strategist. However, like most kings, he thoroughly enjoys participating in "The Noble Duty"...sewing his "seeds" wherever he can for his inheritor.

Sil'thesia - The Elf goddess of beauty, regarded as "The Grand Lady" and "The Courtesan of ". Beauty in Elfin society hold a duality. The Elves believe that beauty is the measurement of quality for giving life and delivering . A beautiful Elf is desirable for creating children as well as potential assassins. Sil'thesia is both the favored wife of Vyl'sar as well as his most capable assassin. It is common for beautiful Elves who do not favor the battlefield to use their beauty to flaunt...the action allowing them to manipulate events as they see fit, to either gain prestige, a worthwhile mate, or to steal and kill as they please.

Eylsira - The Satyr goddess of fertility, known only as "The Great Breeder". Beastmen society found females to be too timid compared to the males and thus useless in war, give or take some exceptions. Thus, most women were used only for breeding and entertaining the Warbands. Eylsira is the progenitor of the Satyrs, and was depicted as a sheep-woman. She was given no attributes, so the Satyrs were considered weak and useless. Saddened at the of her children, she helped the Satyrs escape into the wilds and become adopted by the newly formed Fey Court. She encourages her children to breed, finding it a natural duty to sire offspring.

Faction: Kor'ghal Horde

The Kor'ghal Horde is named after the beast who had started the savage warbands of old. A Beastman Warlord by the name of Kor'ghal Gorebringer. Though it was started by the Beastman Warbands, it is now ran by the Orcs of the Greenskin Tribes. There is only one thing the Horde recognize and respect...strength. Beyond that, there is honor in battle, and the respect to the spirits of their ancestors. However, out of all three factions...the Horde lacks the cohesion. A great many Warbands, Tribes, and Clans have choosen not to ally themselves with the Horde nor desire to fight their battles. Infighting has always been an issue.

The Greenskin Tribes -

The Greeskin Tribes are much like other bodies comprising the Horde...a loose conglomerate of other races that united for mutual survival. The ruling race are the warrior people known as Orcs. The Orcs themselves conscripted and enslaved their brethren...these including the crafty but cowardly Goblins, the beastial and surperstitious Trolls, and the large brutish Cyclopsi. There are many tribes that are comprised of either exclusively one of these races, or a combination of some sort. However, despite the size of the united Tribes, not all Greenskin Tribes have joined the Horde.

The united tribes are ruled over by a Warchief. This is not a hereditary position, an official and honorable duel to the is the only means to choose a Warchief. And by the laws of the Orcs, only other Orcs may become Warchief. And he who is Warchief, is Warchief of the Kor'ghal Horde. All the tribes have their own ways of governing, but they are required by the law of might to adhere to the Warchief.

The Beastmen Warbands -

Despite them calling themselves Warbands, not all Beastmen walk the warpath. Some try to live in peaceful nomadic lives, trying to be intune with the powers of nature. Most see this as a sign of weakness, a stepping stone to more betrayals like that of the Satyrs. Thus, it is not uncommon to see Warbands go to these nomads and either kill them and/or enslave them. Anything can count as a Beastmen...so long as they appear to be an abominable combination of man and mammilian beast. The only true unifying feature they have are horns...thus, the size of horns are seen as symbols of prestige and respect.

All Warbands follow a Warlord that is advised by a Shaman. They have no set homes as they live on the warpath, forever setting warcamps and blood grounds to fight, eat, and mate. Conflict is nature, conflict is a way of life. Without conflict in all things, a Beastman is not living in a life worth living. Thus it is not uncommon to also see an ambitious young Beastmen take on Warlords whenever possible...preferably when it is inconvenient to the Warlord.

The Hyskrit Clans -

An old and nearly forgotten race of snake-people that resided in the Dune Seas. An enemy long forgotten that was in deep, mystical slumber...their cities and civilization devoured by the endless sands of the desert. They had risen up and were chased away by their new human neighbors. Without homes and lost in a world they did not understand...they retreated to the steppes that the Kor'ghal Horde made their own. It was bloody at first, but after several battles, both sides saw they respected each other's strength and had a common enemy. Now the Hyskrit are devoted allies to the Horde.

The Hyskrit Clans are ruled by a council of Clan Mothers...respected and experiened warrioresses, huntresses, and witches that stood among their peers of their own clans. Each clan is a different species of land-bound snakes that work in uniformity that is alien to the Horde, but they provide a good solid foudnation that the Horde need to stay in working order.

Chosen Pantheon:

Gorgrath - The Beastman god of conquest, is celebrated as "The Bringer of Gore". The progenitor of the Beastmen warbands, it is he that the majority of Beastmen claim to be sired directly from. There were other male gods, but it is said that Gorgrath slaughtered them all and took all the goddesses to be his breeding mates. He is depicted as a Ram, thus they are the ruling class of Beastmen. He decreed that all Beastmen should be proud warriors and hunters while women provide strong offspring as to conquer all lands to bring his children back to their former glory as the rulers of the world before the rise of men.

Sniiklet - The Goblin god of greed and lust, holding no alternative names...though all others of the Horde perceive Goblins as cowards thus hold no reverence to their pantheon. However, he is the favored god of the Goblins and take most after him. A Goblin's life, outside of serving the Orcs, is filled mostly with breeding and hoarding all sorts of treasures. This is the way that Sniiklet likes his subjects and is rumored to give great fortune and wealth to those of his followers who sire many, many children. He even gave them the gift to have their children sired by any species (males can impregnant females of any species with goblins, and females can be impregnanted by males of any species with goblins).

Yirla - The Beastman goddess of nurturing and submission, holding no honorifics like most Beastmen goddesses. She is depicted as a Minotaur, claimed to be the mother of Minotaurs. She is considered the ideal female idol for she is said to be the most nurturing and the most submissive. This goddess is also attributed to be a fertility goddess, though that is redundant to say as all female Beastmen goddesses are attributed as fertility goddesses and progenitors of different Beastmen sub-species. All Beastmen females go to Yirla to make pregnancy, birth, and motherhood easier to bare.

Syss'rah - The Hyskrit god of war, typically refered to as "The Blood Snake". All Hyskrit gods demad sacrifice off and on the battlefield, and Syss'rah is not an exception. Syss'rah only desire is bloodshed, war, and misery. He is depicted as a giant king cobra and requires war leaders to do sacrifice (whether with a Hyskrit victim, or a victim of other sentient species) if they wish for victory. Many warriors paint king cobra heads on their chest with little armor, so as to allow Syss'rah to taste the carnage they bring to him.

Nazro'grah - The Orc god of domination, also known as "The Overchief". He is the Warchief of the gods and subjugator of all. He has called for the Orcs to dominate all they find and bring them under the Orcish banner as slaves. The Overchief does not favor bloodshed, slaughter, and war...though sees them as a necessisty to assert dominance. His only goal in eternity is for his favored champions to go out and conquer all that is on Aesyr in his name. All the gods in the Greenskin over-pantheon are his slaves and he will not be satisfied until all the other gods are as well.


Forum thread: http://forum.chyoa.com/threads/conflicts-of-divine-interest.785/

Let’s take a deeper look into...

Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)