More fun
Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)

Chapter 3 by Acorn142 Acorn142

What next

Stewart is stopped with a message

As Stewart makes his way to the Throne Room, his thoughts are troubled. Preparing for being the king someday has been part of his life from Day One, so he is keenly aware of his duty. Nevertheless, there are many times when he envies his younger brother. Duncan may be next in line to the throne after him, but no one seriously considers that as a possibility. After today, that will be even more unlikely. Once a bride has been chosen for Stewart — and, more importantly, once he has sired a male heir — Duncan will be virtually free of all official responsibilities and will be able to enjoy his life of fame and wealth, unburdened by the weight of duty.

Although Stewart is a mere heartbeat away from becoming the most powerful man in the kingdom, he feels increasingly powerless. Even in something as fundamental as choosing a wife, he has no real say in the matter.

His thoughts return to Chantelle. Granted, he would never seriously consider making her his wife, but they do have a good thing going right now, and it’s a damn shame that something like a marriage would get in the way! Not for the first time, he begins pondering how he is going to work it out to be able to continue to roll in the sheets with her once he has a wife to contend with. He just hoped whomever he ended up with as his wife would not have some of the new-fangled notions that some women do and would turn a blind eye to the sovereign keeping a mistress or two on the side.

Stewart is so lost in his thoughts that he almost stumbles into the royal messenger standing in front of him.

“Forgive the interruption, Your Highness,” says the messenger, who sounds out of breath and appears rather distraught. “Her Majesty sent me to find you.”

Stewart sighs. “Whatever for? I’m not late. Does Mother fear I will miss my own engagement?” Wryly, he thinks to himself, “Why would it matter if I was late? They’re going to choose my bride for me anyway!” He clenches his jaw at the thought, imagining some homely-looking gal with buckteeth and shriveled tits.

“Her Majesty is not in the Throne Room, sir,” said the messenger. “It is rather urgent, and she commanded me to bring you to her straight away.”

“Why? What’s the problem?” Something big must be going on if his parents are not already in place, ready to receive the dignataries. He wondered if Duncan had caused another scandal — probably by bedding one of the girls who was to be presented as a possible future wife for Stewart.

“It would be best if the queen explains,” responds the messenger, with a troubled expression.

Stewart follows the messenger, wondering what could be going on. They walk hurriedly and in silence, as the prince is led to his parents’ bedchambers.

The door is open, and Stewart walks in. To his surprise, there are a few people in the outer room of the chambers. All of them have somber expressions. Their conversations stop when they see Stewart.

Queen Caroline breaks off from her conversation with Norbier, the king’s chief advisor, and approaches Stewart. He can tell right away that she is distraught.

“Mother? What’s the matter?” asks Stewart.

“Oh, Stewart,” she says, taking both her hands in his. “Your father.... He’s dead.”

Her words echo in his ears as he tries to make sense of them.

“Father? What—?”

Then, adding to the surrealism of the moment, Stewart watches as his mother kisses his hands and then makes a long, low curtesy before him. “Long live Your Majesty.”

In response, the others in the room kneel and repeat the words, “Long live Your Majesty!”

Stewart looks around the room in stunned silence.

What does he do?

Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)