More fun
Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)

Chapter 3 by Acorn142 Acorn142

What next

Stewart consults with his page along the way

The Crown Prince of Mirantia departs his bedchambers and the lovely Chantelle to make his way to the throne room. As he approaches the room, he sees Tristian, his long-time page, motioning to him to get his attention. He turns in Tristian's direction, but the guard at the door of the throne room says, "Pardon me, Your Highness, but the King and Queen request your presence immediately."

Tristian, upon hearing these words, looks frantically at the Prince and shakes his head furiously.

Stewart turns to the guard and says, “I will speak with my page first. Please tell my parents I will be with them momentarily.”

The guard salutes and departs.

“What is it, Tristian? This better be important.”

“Your Highness, I have grave news,” says the man. “I have received a report that a member of the Englightenment has infliltrated the castle and that an attempt upon the life of a member of the royal family is imminent.”

“What say you?” demands the prince. “What is the source of this information?”

Tristian hesitates and then says, “Your Highness, you remember Arbynnia?”

“The tree nymph? The one you seduced during the Spring Festival last year?”

“The very one, Prince,” says Tristian, looking troubled. “Well, it was more than a one-time thing. We have been quite — intimate — for several months.”

Stewart should be shocked, but is hardly in a position to condemn his page for consorting with a magical being when Chantelle is in his own bedchambers at that very hour.

“Go on,” urged the prince.

“Arbynnia told me this morning that there are rumors among the trees that today’s assembly of potential wives for Your Highness will be used as an opportunity to destablize the crown and bring an end to the rule of humans. She said the rumor is that there is already a member of the Englightenment well positioned here in the castle, and that he or she has been conspiring with the enemies of the crown for many months.”

“Why, this is treason most foul!” declared the prince. “Come with me and share this information with the King. He must know at once.”

“My prince! If I do that, I will be asked the source of my information, and that would reveal my relationship with a tree nymph; you know that is forbidden. You are asking me to condemn myself and Arbynnia both to !”

The guard returns and says, “Your Highness, the King commands your presence immediately.”

Stewart tells Tristian, “Very well. I will see what I can do. Spread the word among the Palace Guard to be on extra alert. I will do what I can to warn the King.”

Following the guard into the throne room, Stewart sees his father and mother seated in their resplendent thrones. A smaller throne, one step down and to the right of the king, awaits Stewart.

“We must not keep the assemblage waiting, Stewart,” says the king. “Noblemen from far and wide are gathered outside, eager to present their daughters for our approval.”

“Father, we must be very cautious,” says Stewart. “There is unrest in the Kingdom because of the rebellious group that calls itself the Englightenment. This would be a perfect time for them to try something, taking advantage of us throwing the castle doors open to one and all.”

The king regards his son somberly. “Do you have particular reason to be concerned, Stewart, or perchance you are simply nervous about whether I will select a bride to your liking? Do not worry, my son; I’m not so old that I have lost my appreciation for beauty.”

What does the prince say?

Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)