More fun
Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)

Chapter 2 by SG SG

Which tool?

Philosophical Zombie

A philosophical zombie (or p-zombie) is a thought experiment used by philosophers to explore concepts like subjectivity, epistemology, and sentience. In short, a philosophical zombie is a being that is completely indistinguishable from a human being in all ways, but has no subjectivity or consciousness. If you cut a p-zombie, they bleed; if you insult them, they take offense; if you kill them, they die. All of this is mimicry, though - think of it as a computer saying "Please reboot me." There's no "me", it's just a non-sentient device using the language of a subject.

Rather than AI, a philosophical zombie has something called SI, or simulated intelligence. They don't have any true cognition, but are able to perfectly simulate the internal psyche of a human being. Since this is completely arbitrary, they can change things on command. Think of it as flawless acting; as part of the thought experiment, they are able to weep, laugh, or scream in ways that are 100% indistinguishable from how a normal person would.

Until now, p-zombies have been purely theoretical - the stuff of undergrad papers. Today, though, you have learned of a p-zombie, and they have acknowledged their true nature to you as well.

So who's the zombie?

Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)