More fun
Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)

Chapter 2 by Robopoop Robopoop

Who will you start with?

Morgon Greenwing, Warden of Ironwood Forest

Ironwood Forest.

Nestled far to the south of Blackwall and east of the township of Farhold, these ancient wildlands had existed long before Mirantia's founding, a vast natural landscape of colossal trees and myriads of mystifying wild fauna, spanning wide from the base of the Galdona Mountains to the beaches of the Western Sea. When settlers came to harvest its bountiful sources of lumber, the forest came alive to drive them out. For decades, the kings of old had forbidden anyone from returning there, but everything changed when the Usharan Spell Plague arrived from the wastelands to the north. Through no small diplomatic feat, a temporary alliance between Mirantia and Ironwood was orchestrated, followed by a joint effort to fight back a magical malediction that killed everything it touched. When the curse was finally lifted, three quarters of the original inhabitants of the wood remained, scarring the woodland forever. Before parting ways, the Great Guardian, an ancient being that was the living spirit of the forest itself, exchanged tokens of friendship with the Mirantian king of the time. Months later, they committed to a pact that declared the entire territory to be under the official protection of the crown. Although the forest was never considered annexed, common knowledge spoke of Ironwood as being part of the kingdom's borders, as such was the pact that every subsequent king had upheld for many, many years.

Amidst the events that unfolded through history were the wood elves of Ironwood. Long ago, the Great Guardian chose among their number several Wardens to watch over its children, gifting them with great knowledge and divine truth, known as the Va'arin, to pass on to their kin. They formed their people into enclaves, with each protecting a certain part of their home from outlanders, as well as to administer to the delicate balance that gave their ancestral land life. Before their sacred duty was passed onto them, these long lived beings were instinctually as wild as their surroundings, fleeting through the trees buck naked and hunting with crude tools fashioned from stone and twine, savagely forged in a land that was as dangerous to them as it was to any outsider. With the aid of the Wardens, they formed a semblance of society, forming their own language, culture and identity as a people. The first to adopt the wisdom of the Va'arin were the druids, elves who were born with a distinct magical connection to nature. Shortly after, the Wardens trained the warrior rangers, the vast majority of the tree folk who directly protected the wood from all threats within and throughout. With the core of the wood elven enclaves established, they then spread the word of the Guardian to the wild folk, the other beings who shared the same existential allegiance to their Great Mother, and in return, learnt from them their ways. United, the denizens of Ironwood lived in harmony for millennia, until the arrival of the humans and the spell plague. Great changes occurred swiftly after the proclamation of the pact. Many who were curious of the world at large left for uncertain adventure. Those who returned bring with them fantastical stories which fascinated the younger ones, inspiring them to accept the strange cultures and technologies of the outside world. Many who were fanatically against the treaty retreated into isolation, into the deeper parts of the wood where no outsider could ever dream to reach. The Nightwillow enclave was one of these dissidents, and although not hostile to their kin, they were infamous for their deep hatred for any stranger not born under the shaded canopies of their home.

When the powers that be negotiated terms, it was decided that the Mirantians would be allowed safe passage through Ironwood, as long as certain conditions were met. Travelers were forbidden from indiscriminate deforestation or mining of any kind. Permanent settlement within the forest was forbidden. No army would be allowed to march through without the consent of a Warden, and no rights to any portion of land was to be sold or owned by anyone under any circumstance. In return, the Guardian permitted the construction of a single road that connected Blackwall and Farhold, within the region the Mirantians called 'Grandolin's Crossing'. It also gave the responsibility of the administration and protection of this region to the Greenwing enclave, who subsequently migrated into the area. Even though few travelers would ever encounter the Greenwing rangers in their travels, they would know that they were always watching, and the stories told of them were many. Some knew them as woodland guardians, as they rescued lost wayfarers from certain doom or trickery from the more mischievous magical beings of the forest. Some feared and respected their martial prowess as bandits, brigands and poachers were swiftly felled by their formidable skills in archery and swordsmanship. Among all of the enclaves, theirs would be the most well known among Mirantians, and they were often sought out for various intentions and purposes. Despite their good reputations among the common folk, some had a clear distaste for their kind, preaching the tall tale prejudices that wood elves were savage, uncultured, disrespectful of authority and insatiably horny. Whether these claims held any water was debatable, as each wood elf was free to do whatever they wished, and free to experience the consequences of their actions with little to no restriction. The only crimes that warranted severe punishment were acts of betrayal against the Great Guardian and causing substantial harm to Ironwood.

Morgon Greenwing is the 7th generation Warden currently in service to his sacred task. Chosen by the Great Guardian when his late father died of the spell plague, he had kept his charge as best as his ability could muster, which was as much as anything was expected from a leader of a wood elven enclave. Neither young enough to be juvenile, nor old enough to be called an Elder, Morgon had personally led his people through many hardships, including the aftermath that wiped out so many of his kin. Formerly a ranger before his appointment, his skills with the longbow and dual short swords were a to be reckoned with. Carrying a stoic and formidable presence, he was seen as rough and relatively grim in his demeanor, but at the same time, exuding a humbling and externally manly aura. Many of his kin likened him to that of a noble wolf or a majestic deer, attracting many forms of attention and respect. However, he was not one to rest in the laurels of leadership, often being found outside of camp more than within it. He had many followers and proteges that would follow him to the end of time, but even they worry about their leader's well being. Whether this was part of his nature he had yet to admit, or perhaps he was in search of something more.

Where does Morgon's story begin?

Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)