More fun
Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)

Chapter 2 by MistWolf MistWolf

Who is going to lose her clothes?

Mason Weaver (Kong: Skull Island)

We don't belong here.

— Mason.

Mason Weaver is a character created by Legendary Pictures who made her first appearance within the 2017 MonsterVerse film, Kong: Skull Island.

She is portrayed by Brie Larson.

Profile :

Description :

“ A street-smart investigative photojournalist and self-described “anti-war photographer,” Weaver has seen the monster of humanity at war. Her suspicions sparked, Weaver’s curiosity about the mission’s true purpose drives her to maneuver her way onboard as team photographer. But once they cross over onto Skull Island, she is plunged into the biggest story of her life – one that will confront all her journalistic instincts and ethics.

Appearance :

Weaver is a woman in her 30s with a square face, long wavy golden-brown hair, and brown eyes. She is introduced to the other characters in a three-quarter sleeve beige jacket, matching pants, and a dark blue half-sleeve turtleneck shirt. Her main outfit has "an almost military look" comprised of a pale gray tie-front button-down shirt and a tank top, dark brown knee-high lace-up boots, and olive drab pants.

Weaver wears a number of accessories including wooden prayer beads with turquoise accents on her left wrist, a military-style watch on her right, a chain necklace with a ring on it, and a gold and turquoise snake ring on her right index finger. She also carries a Leica M3 camera with an attached Leicameter MC and a light brown half case on her belt, with a dagger over her left hip. She also carries a large luggage bag to hold her clothes and camera equipment.

Personality :

The world is bigger than this.

— Weaver to Packard, saying there is more to life than war and .

Mason is a confident and compassionate young woman with a strong connection with nature from her rural upbringing, believing that peace can't be achieved through aggression. Growing up and working in a male-dominant environment, Mason learned to blend in, create boundaries, take control of situations, and assert herself so that men don't belittle her and she can do her job. Mason also has a strong sense of intuition that helped expose many institutional lies, earning Mason her "anti-war" rep. Her strong intuition is what led her to worming her way onto the Skull Island expedition, correctly suspecting it of having an ulterior motive. She has a strong passion to expose the truth at all costs even though that passion gets her into trouble with publications and the men in her photos who don't like the dark side of war being displayed to the public. Being a pacifist, Mason is armed with a knife but she never uses it nor does she ever wield a gun. However, regardless of her anti-war stance, she never shies away from dangerous places whenever there's a story that must be told, and as part of her job, Mason showed considerable bravery for accompanying soldiers on missions, and being brave enough to not flinch and stare down an rifle pointed at her face at point-blank range.

Beneath her strong exterior, however, Mason has a deep sense of insecurity and desire to live in the background, traits instilled in her as a result of unintentional emotional from her father when she was a child. These traits are what drove Mason to spent most of her life behind a camera and remove herself from the world, believing that by doing so she's unable to fail anything as her father made her feel as though she were a disappointment. She also has some issues with her first name as she enjoys surprising people who assume her to be male but for the most part, the reactions Weaver gets from her name anger her as they stem from casual discrimination concerning stereotypical gender roles. She's noted for being a talented photographer as her work was impressive enough to be up for the cover of Time Magazine. Weaver would gladly live in the same set of clothes for weeks if it means getting the shots as it's all about the photos to her. Being someone whose sole purpose is to record and share, Weaver feels a duty to her photos but rarely to her subjects, and wants her pictures to prompt action and understanding from those who see them.

After meeting Lt. Colonel Packard and hearing him blame "people like her" for costing America the Vietnam War, Mason disesteems him for scapegoating journalists and taking it out on her. Mason shows an empathetic and considerate side to her as she befriends James Conrad, with the two becoming close enough for him to confide in her about his father. She also shows a dry sense of humor at times and often tries to be a voice of reason. Mason starts as a background character only interested in taking photos but becomes more hands-on and involved in the action as things progress, showing that she can hold her own and pull her own weight alongside the men, despite being armed with only her determination and wits. In the end, she may have begun hoping to get a big scoop and gain more awards and notoriety, but Mason relents after coming to understand the bigger picture and see Kong as something that should be protected and kept secret.

History :

Mason picked up her first camera at the age of 6. Her father was a demanding but well-meaning man who loved her despite being unwittingly emotionally abusive to her. According to Mason, her father ran their home like a "benevolent dictatorship" but by the time Mason was old enough to realize the damage her father's controlling actions could do to her, the damage was already done. He died when she was 16 and she felt like a ghost during his funeral as none of the mourners during the wake at her house saw her go from room to room seeking comfort that wouldn't come since she was an only child with no siblings to look for.

Six months after her father's , Mason went off to college but ever since her father passed away, Mason has been searching for a thing and place that she couldn't find. She would only feel close to finding them when looking through a camera. Over the years, as she worked on assignments as an independent contractor, Weaver helped expose many institutional lies and built a reputation as an "anti-war" photographer. During the Vietnam War, she spent two years in country embedded with the Command & Control South detachment of MACV-SOG in Ban Me Thuot.

Trivia :

  1. In the film, Weaver makes it off Skull Island with her film intact, while in the novelization, her film is ruined when she falls into the marsh. The book also explains that Weaver's camera acts as a barrier between her and the events going on around her.
  2. Weaver is the only person in the film to ever touch Kong.
  3. In an interview with Collider, writer Dan Gilroy revealed that Weaver was originally meant to be "a war-weary photographer who had been taking pictures for too long and didn't believe in anything, but would experience an awakening during her first encounter with Kong."

Where is Mason when she becomes naked and how does it happen?

What's next?

Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)