More fun
Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)

Chapter 2 by DFang DFang

Whose role do you take on?

Jacob Carter - a lonely genius with bad luck (DFang)

My main character, Jacob, is a genius. As geniuses often are, they get fascinated with new things that are good/positive and explore them and sometimes need other people or circumstances to rein them in.

The general themes I'm using are the quality of the choices decided on by a young, horny male who has too many of them presented to him and has to choose, vs forgiveness and redemption, collaborative (eventually) harem, and "when is enough, enough." Jacob, like many smart people I know, figures some things out quickly, and others...not so much.

There will, obviously, be sex, including , but it won't be happening quickly. Be prepared for a long ride.

(Editor’s Note: At the author’s request we’ll be publishing one chapter/week to give him some time to work things up. I’ve already read the next two chapters and lemme tell ya, this one is gonna be fun. ~W)


You frown as Mrs. Hansen, the owner of your company, announces a promotion of yet another of your teammates to lead the department instead of you. You’d applied for the last three vacancies and hadn’t gotten any of them. You’re not sure why. You know you’re not the most socially smooth person out there but in your, admittedly biased, opinion, you’re the best analyst in your department. At least your new boss is someone you consider a good analyst and you think she will be better than the last few managers who had been, in your opinion, frat-boy jocks from other departments. Fortunately they hadn’t lasted long since the power had more or less gone to their heads and they had never bothered to learn how your department ran before moving on. Unfortunately, however, your new boss seems to not like you very much.

You were hoping that the announcement would be about your promotion and would improve your day but as it is, it’s just something else in an already shitty work day. Since the owner had called this meeting at the end of the work day, all there is for you to do is shut down your computer and go home to your small studio apartment.

You turn to leave the room and you’re bumped aside by yet another of the ubiquitous frat-boy jocks that seemed to populate the other departments.

“Watch it, nerd,” he growled and then walked away laughing with one of his buddies, slapping the upraised hand of one of them.

You just sigh and follow them out of the room and go to your desk. You lock up and pack your bag and walk out of the building, barely mumbling goodbyes to the others in your department. You can’t even muster a smile for Kate, the one person in your department you have more than a nodding acquaintance with. Penelope, your new manager, isn’t even a nodding acquaintance for all that she is very outgoing and outspoken in team meetings, etc. With everyone but you, to be accurate. In fact, you're pretty sure she avoids you as much as she can.

You sigh as you acknowledge that her outgoing nature is probably why she got the promotion but you can’t muster the energy to think about it at the moment. You walk to the bus stop just in time to see it drive away. You look at your Apple watch and realize that Mrs. Hansen had taken just long enough in the meeting that you were later leaving than usual instead of the bus leaving early as you had assumed at first because that was just the way the day had gone. Of course, this isn’t much better.

Fortunately the next bus would be along in fifteen minutes so you just sit down on the bench to wait.

Halfway through the wait, Kate pulls up. “Missed the bus?” When you nod and shrug, she asks, “Want a ride?”

You know it’s really out of her way to do so, so you turn her down. “The next bus should be along in five minutes or so, but thanks.”

“You sure?”

You nod and manage a smile this time, weak as it is, so she sighs and nods. “Okay, if you’re sure. See you tomorrow.”

By the time the next bus arrives - on time, thankfully - you’ve been joined by others at the stop. You walk on and show your passcard to the driver and turn towards the inside of the bus only to mentally groan as you realize it’s full. You remember - again - why you always made such a point to try to catch the previous bus. It’s usually not that full because most people dawdle as they leave their offices so they don’t make that bus. You are nudged by the person behind you so you just shuffle along the aisles until you get to the back. Having , you reach up and grip the handlebar they place for that purpose. Fortunately you’re pretty tall at 6’2” so you don’t have to strain.

The bus ride home is as tiring as you expect since you’re standing up during the whole half-hour bus ride. You arrive at your stop and wiggle (shove) your way past the other passengers to the door. You get off the bus and walk the three blocks to the street you live on.

As soon as you turn the corner, however, you see fire trucks right in front of your apartment building. Hoping it isn’t actually your building that is on fire, you hurry towards it. It doesn’t take long for your hopes to be dashed and you stumble to a stop, groaning in dismay.

There’s smoke coming from basically every window and you know the place is a total loss. As you stand there staring, a cop comes up to you.

“No loitering, please. Move along.”

You just sigh and rub your face with a hand. “That’s my building,” you say.

He winces and shakes his head. “It’s not good. You better find another place to stay the night and come back tomorrow and see if anything can be salvaged. What floor did you live on?”

“Third.”

He winces harder but all he says is, “Come back tomorrow.”

You shake your head at the unsaid message then nod and walk away from the building. You may not be the most socially smooth person out there but it doesn't take much to tell from his face that the third floor is likely a total loss. The only thing you’ll be coming back for tomorrow is insurance - at least you had that.

You pull your phone out and dial a number from memory, just barely noticing a new icon on the phone you don’t remember seeing before.

“Hello Jacob?”

“Hey Tammy,” you say. Fortunately your sister answered the phone - she doesn’t always, being a very busy manager of a high-end fashion boutique. “So I just got home from work and my building was on fire. They’re not letting me in. Any chance I can crash at your place for the night at least?”

“Shit, I’m sorry that happened.” Her words were sympathetic enough but her tone of voice was a little abrupt which was unusual for her. “Alright, sure I guess you can - but it’ll just be the sofa though. Do you need a ride or can you get here yourself?”

“The public transportation sucks in your area, I wouldn’t be able to get there,” you say apologetically.

“Right, right, you don’t have a car.” She hmmed for a moment. “Hold on.”

I could hear faint yelling - obviously she’d put her hand over the microphone.

“Hey, I’m back. Do you think you could get to the Starbucks on the corner of Monterey and Main? If so, Molly can pick you up there.”

You think for a moment trying to remember the bus schedule - yes, if you hurry back you can just about catch the right bus. You start hurrying to the bus stop before you even answer. “Yes, if I can catch the next bus. I’m hurrying to the bus stop now and I’ll let you know if I catch it.”

“Alright, talk to you in a few then,” she says and hangs up.

Fortunately as you get to the bus stop you can see the bus approaching. You give a sigh of relief. As you walk on the bus and show your passcard, you’re dialing Tammy again. “Hey, sis. I caught the bus. I should be at that Starbucks in about twenty.”

“Great. I’ll order some pizza from the place next to it so if you can help Molly get it that would be great. You still like hawaiian, right?”

It goes without saying that you’re paying but that’s a small price compared to getting a hotel. “Sure. And yeah.”

“Alright.” And she just hangs up.

This bus is emptier than the last so you are able to find a seat and you sigh in relief.

Now what?

Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)