More fun
Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)

Chapter 5 by meriones meriones

What's next?

Interrupt Scene: A Fallen Stranger

Mechanics We roll dice for the event focus - ambiguous - Our actions will be cautious and physical. The Location is Warning. The characters are important. The objects are official... The scene is modified with an interrupt. The interrupt focus -- we will move away from our thread The action will be 'bestow' and 'mysterious' The Location: Cold Characters: Hurt Objects: Solitary


The sound of clashing steel echoed through the dark caverns, sending Maya's heart racing as she fled. She needed to escape, to run as far and as fast as her bound feet would carry her. She didn't want to get captured again.

The adventuring party had left a smattering of candles and torches lit in various locations. She tried her best to follow. They had acted like the surface was close, but she had been in the tunnels for days. Finding more than one way lit, she chose a path.

Minutes passed as she tried to find her way, wandering amongst the interconnected passages. Soon, the sounds of battle became distant. She kept moving. The torchers were her only real maker for direction, and she doubted she'd be out of the caves before they ran out. Her captors had marched her for days.

Rounding a corner, her heart plummeted at the sight that greeted her—a half-elf, wounded and , sprawled across the cold stone floor. Maya hesitated for a moment, torn between her instinct to flee and the compassion that tugged at her heartstrings. But in the end, her humanity won out, and she rushed to his side, her hands trembling as she assessed the extent of their injuries.

Medicine check DC 10 Roll: 11 - Pass

The half-elf was , not dead.

FATE: Is the hurt creature friendly (in truth)? - Yes No random event.

With gentle hands and a whispered prayer, Maya reached out, healing the half-elf's wounds as best she could.

Cast Cure wounds 4

She waited nervously. The sound of fighting could still be heard distantly, but she would not abandon someone in need. As Maya gazed at the half-elf's peaceful face, she knew that she had made the right decision. Soon the man began to stir. Maya watched as he groaned softly, his hand instinctively reaching for his dagger.

"Easy there," Maya said softly, her voice barely more than a whisper in the cavern. "You're safe now."

The half-elf's eyes widened as he took in his surroundings, confusion and panic marked his features.

"Some warriors passed,” Maya said in her most soothing voice, “They seemed to be in a hurry. They set me free and left." The half-elf slowly pushed himself up into a sitting position, wincing as he moved. His gaze lingering on her face before he spoke.

"What's your name?"

Maya hesitated for a moment before answering.

"Maya"

"Thanks," the man said simply, his voice a croak.

His eyes scanning the dimly lit cavern. A look of relief visibly washed over his features when he saw that his pack still lay beside him.

"Do you know the way out of here?" Maya asked, trying not to let her fear color her voice.

FATE Does the mysterious stranger know the way out? No

The half-elf shook his head, his gaze returning to meet hers. He spoke a simple “No.”

Maya's heart sank, but she didn't let her disappointment show. Instead, she took a deep breath and said, “Then I suppose we’ll have to find our way out together?”

“Yes.” Again, he said no more. He seemed much more comfortable with silence than she was herself.

Maya's gaze narrowed slightly as she asked, "Are you with the party that’s attacking this place? The one’s who saved me?"

He smiled at that at shock his head. "No," he said. "I was just... passing through."

If he wasn't with them, then who was he, and why was he here?

For now, she pushed those questions aside, focusing on the more pressing concern of their escape. "We should rest for a bit," she suggested, “you don’t look fully recovered from…” She trailed off. For a moment, she thought he would let the silence linger, but the pause stretched to the point of discomfort, he answered.

"A trap," he began simply.

Short Rest: Stranger HD roll = 5
Fate: Will he come with us? Yes

Character: Mysterious Stranger:

The stranger set about checking his gear. He opened his pack and moved some things around. His armor had some scraps, but would certainly manage. In the pack he carried, everything seemed to be in order. As he examined the equipment, Maya talked anxiously.

She introduced herself. She told of her captivity, the days in the darkness, the marches, the fear. She talked of the Baron Ryker, and the village.

“ I'm ready.” He said eventually, and so, they pressed on.


Scene Wrap-up Chaos goes to 4. Escape the Caves, +2. We add a new Character: Mysterious stranger We award XP = Maya ~ 50.

What's next?

Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)