More fun
Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)

Chapter 2 by Su Do Nim Su Do Nim

Whose tale will you follow in this, the new age of sexual adventurousness?

Zaida, the Newcoming Mercenary Arriving At a Turbulent Time

"There - among the trees - another one!" cried the knight. She and her fellow guardians stood near the outskirts of Merridian. They had just survived a clash with the Demon Lord's army. The battle was long enough ago to have most of them believing the fight was over, but still recent enough that no one yet dropped their guard. They had called in the aids to begin discerning the damaged from the dead, while those still on their feet kept an eye out.

The guard that had exclaimed did so after spying movement in the same brush the demons had retreated into. She and her compatriots raised their weapons and barked at the aids to retreat back behind the battlements. They braced themselves for another onslaught of monstrosities out for their blood and town. In the past, they had encountered stragglers that got it in their heads to mount a solo charge on the town's defenses; always to a predictable outcome. They had not, however, seen the demons attack in waves so long delayed. Regardless, the noble defenders mentally prepared for the worst.

And they were not disappointed, as... a single person emerged from the wood. The figure made it a few paces further before seeming to notice the small army with weapons leveled at them.

"Hold there!" the knight demanded. The stranger complied. "Who goes there?"

"Me? Uh, I'm Zaida. Why the... erm, hostility?" The stranger was a woman; and evidently a disoriented woman at that.

There was silence as the stranger's confusion spread to the knights. This person clearly was not a demon, but could anything alien on the battlefield be trusted? The leader saw that her knights were looking to her, wordlessly asking the same question: is she friend or foe?

"Get over here," the leader shouted at the woman. Without any urgency at all, the stranger approached, stopping a few steps shy of the knight, between her and the ditch that was littered with demonic carcasses. "What are you doing out here?" the sergeant asked, her tone equal parts bewilderment and misdirected anger.

"I was on my way to the next town, which I suppose is this one," the woman said flatly. She leaned to one side, peering past the leader. "What is this place called?"

The knight looked her up and down. Without the context of her emerging from a wood that was recently lousy with abominations, there was practically nothing remarkable about the woman. She had dark skin and darker hair, which was kinky and pulled back by a single tie. She wore the pieces one did beneath their armour, but visibly lacked the protection itself. She carried no bag, nor pack, nor satchel. The only item on her looked to be a two-handed mace secured to her back. She wore no signs of battle; no bloodstains, scars, nor sweat. She did not look like a sorcerer, though the less eccentric ones never do.

"What is it called?" Zaida repeated.

"You're a fighter?" the knight asked, ignoring the question.

"Yes, I was hoping to make a living of it," the stranger affirmed.

"She's a sellsword," a knight within earshot announced to the others. A reply of disapproval rose from all who heard.

"Quiet down!" the leader shouted over her shoulder. She felt the same about mercenaries as the others, but could not get over how this woman before her had seemingly manifested at the town's perimeter. "How did you get here?"

"I... walked..." Zaida answered hesitantly for fear that it was a trick question. She was not reassured when the knight narrowed her eyes at her.

"Didn't see... anything strange on the way over?" the knight pried.

"Not on the way over, no." Zaida shook her head. "I'll admit I do find this a tad disconcerting, though," she waved at the vestiges of battle.

The sergeant looked deep into Zaida's eyes, then to the place where she had first emerged, then back again. "Sergei!" she barked. The spontaneity of it made the newcomer jump.

"Aye, ma'am?" said a knight that Zaida was very certain had not been beside them a moment ago, making her jump a second time.

"Take this fine lady to the customs office so that she may be properly admitted to the town." For the first time, the leader seemed to relax her posture.

"Aye, ma'am," Sergei nodded. He stowed his sword and waved for Zaida to follow him.

What's next?

Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)