More fun
Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)

Chapter 4 by ThreeNipps ThreeNipps

Enable real time score updates?

Yes. Enable the real time feature.

At this point, you don't really care. You check the box and quickly close the app. The icon remains on your desktop. Initially, the real time score update option doesn't appear to do anything. You take a deep breath and regroup yourself. Behind you, Hana types away at her computer. Spinning your chair around, you look at her and are once again shocked. Just above her head floats a mostly transparent and green number six. It's maybe the size of a cell phone. All of a sudden, the possibility that this is a prank vanishes. What the fuck was going on? To your knowledge, this kind of technology doesn't exist. This is like something out of a videogame.

Hana notices your stare and turns towards you again. She appears confused because you aren't looking directly at her. Your eyes are transfixed on the green six floating just above her head. She leans back in her chair and looks above her. Then she looks around for something you could be staring at. There's nothing noteworthy behind her. Just a wall. With her every movement, the number follows above.

With a look of concern on her face, Hana turns back to you and says, "Frank... are you sure that you're feeling alright? You look like you just short circuited or something."

You slowly lower your eyes away from the number and look at her, "I... I don't know. It's hard to explain."

At this point you are fairly sure that you aren't going crazy. This is real. Your brain is flooded with questions and other noise. It's a lot to process.

Hana stands up and says, "Why don't you and I get some air? I'll walk you out. Can't have you passing out in front of everyone."

Getting up to follow her, you say, "Honestly, that sounds great. Thanks for being nice and sorry for being... weird."

Hana nods and walks off towards the hallway that leads down the middle of your office. You see the number above her head change to a green 7. Noticing that you aren't following, she turns and beckons your onwards. As you walk through the office, little numbers start popping up over every coworkers head. There are maybe fifty people in the office. Loads of single digit numbers pop up. Almost an even split between green and red. There are even quite a few grey zero's. Just as you think that at least nobody hates you, Hana leads you past your boss' office. Through the glass wall, you see your boss, Jan. She turns and glances your way as you walk by. There's a red 48 above her head. Well, fuck. That's not good. You wonder if it's just you or if she hates everyone in the office.

Hana leads you out a door and down some stairs to the building's lobby. You follow her out another set of doors to an outdoor courtyard. It's quite nice. There are trees and benches to sit on. Luckily the weather is pretty good. Hana sits down on one leaving space for you beside her. Trying to not sit too close and weird her out, you sit down and take a deep breath.

You clear your throat and say, "I've never been out here before."

"Really? I come out here all the time. It's nice to get away from everybody. Get a little fresh air and think."

"Sorry if this sounds rude, but, why are you being so nice to me? We've talked more in the last 10 minutes than we have in the previous two years."

This makes her laugh.

"I really did think that you were about to have some sort of breakdown. Thought that you were going to be the guy that snapped and started smashing computers or something."

"Ehh... it's not an anger thing. More like an existential crisis thing."

"Well I can sort of relate to that."

A minute or so passes and the two of you just sit there in silence.

Hana continues, "Don't take me not talking to you personally. It's just that I didn't really expect to work here long and then next thing you know two years have gone by..."

"It's cool. I get it. You looking for a new job, then?"

"Well I've been looking since I started here. The thing is, every job requires several years of experience and this is my first job out of school. So I'm stuck here getting paid shit and barely being able to afford my apartment."

"How old are you?"

"Turned 24 a month ago."

Jesus, she is young.

"You'll be alright. You've got a pretty good work ethic and you're young so you'll find something good."

"Forgive me if this is too personal but... why are you working here? You seem really out of place."

Laughing, you say, "Oh really? I'm not THAT old."

"Sorry..."

"Oh it's fine. I get it. Unfortunately the last company I worked for went under. Worked there for almost twenty years. Thankfully I paid off my house before that happened because I definitely couldn't pay a mortgage with this gig. I just feel... stuck."

You feel a hand on your shoulder. You look over at Hana. She has a small frown on her face. Curious, you look above her head and see a green 14. The app wasn't kidding about that multiplier.

Realizing that it wasn't even 9 am and you are taking a long break, you say, "We should probably get back. Jan definitely noticed us leaving."

"I wouldn't worry about it. It's not like she's going to do anything. We get paid shit for the amount of work we do. You'd probably have to spit in her face for her to actually fire you. Until then, the exploitation continues."

You sit back and relax again. Hana is probably right. Jan definitely knows it would be too much trouble to actually fire you. But that red 48 above her head makes you anxious. You sit in silence for a few minutes next to your new friend. What exactly was possible with this new ability that you were gifted? Where did it come from? What exactly did it mean by "affection." Was there a sexual element to it? You hazard a quick glance over at Hana. She's far too beautiful for someone like you. But then again, maybe the app makes the impossible, possible.

Deciding to press your luck, you turn to Hana and say, "What do you usually do for lunch?"

"Well normally I just come down here and eat. It depends on the weather, though."

"Mind if I join you today?"

"Well part of the reason I like eating down here is for the quiet. You aren't going to talk my ear off, are you?"

"If there's one thing I can guarantee you, it's that I can be counted on to be quiet."

Hana thinks for a moment and then smiles at you, "I guess I could use a lunch buddy."

She gets up and starts to head inside. You follow behind, trying to not be too obvious about staring at her shapely bottom. Just above her head, a green 19 follows her up the stairs.

What happens back in the office?

Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)