More fun
Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)

Chapter 3 by Grumblebutt Grumblebutt

How does Kazex proceed?

The Open Approach

Kazex finally decided that the opportunity for a willing mate was far too good to pass up. He was pretty certain he could take this dwarf female if she proved foolish enough to attack him, but with any luck that's not what would happen. So, he simply picked his moment and stepped out of hiding, into the dwarf's path at a great enough distance that her hands could not reach him. His spear was not raised, but held at rest on his shoulder. His eyes were forward and his expression carefully neutral. Agression would probably incite a suicidal rush, but to be overly friendly might make her suspicious, Kazex reasoned.

The dwarf female looked at Kazex with shock, but then a sort of resigned slump took her features. He knew the signs. So far as this female was concerned, she probably figured that she was already dead. He could now see her face and although one eye was swollen shut, the other was glistening and blue, her lips were full and soft-looking, her cheeks wide and friendly. She probably had a pretty smile, although that's certainly not what she's doing. Her head bows suddenly, her long hair in many braids falling into her face.

"I cannot fight you, goblin," she managed, "so if you mean to kill me, please do so quickly."

Every move Kazex made was important, he knew. He took one step forward, seeing the female tense, and then turned his spear over to stab it into the ground, thus disarming himself. With the other hand, he reached into his bag.

"I won't hurt you," he told her simply, "not unless you try to hurt me. I see someone has already hurt you greatly. If I tend to your hurts, will you give your word you will not resist me?"

The dwarf female's head snapped back up in shock, almost as if expecting some sort of cruel joke. Kazex kept his face neutral and his tone level. He had to be very careful not to spook her and told himself that his patience would be worth it. Eventually, the tension seemed to ease and Kazex could actually see tears streak the cheeks of the dwarf, tears of her pain and humiliation...and the betrayal.

"I," she stammered, "Yes...yes please help me."

It was difficult for Kazex to keep his composure. He was not made of stone. He had a heart and could even empathize. The medicines now out of his bag, he guided the dwarf to sit in a concealed area, beginning to tend to her various minor injuries.

"What is your name?" he asked conversationally as he examined her swollen eye.

"I am Dasha Thunderfoot," she said in barely above a whisper, "or just...Dasha, now that my clan has cast me out."

"Mmm, that explains this," Kazax muttered, shaking his head, "why?"

"I was deemed a heretic," Dasha said, now seeming to have given up her defenses, "I questioned that which I was not allowed to question."

"So they threw you into the world so that it would kill you," Kazex finally smiled wryly, "so they would not bloody their hands doing it. Shameful. Well, I will not do that favor for them."

Kazex finished binding Dasha's few small wounds and settled with her, allowing her a moment to just rest and recover.

"I am Kazex," he says, "and I'm also an outcast from my tribe...though I think in a slightly better position than yourself right now. If you wish, I will welcome you in my home. I can offer some comforts, probably more than you'll get out here."

"Why?" Dasha asked finally, "I'm not ungrateful, but why would you suddenly help me. You don't even know me."

"It's simple," said Kazex, "and out of respect, I'll be totally honest. I need a female with which to breed young. I would prefer the arrangement to be...friendly. In exchange, I offer shelter, protection, food, and even some other comforts as they may come up."

How does Dasha react to Kazex's offer?

Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)