More fun
Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)

Chapter 4 by Marcus Dark Marcus Dark

What Kind of Information Are You Looking For?

The Expanded Rules of Magic

Author's Note: Most of The Information Found Here Is From bastardlydastard's The Rules of Magic Section In His Extra Background and Guidelines For Writers (With A Few Additions) and Has Been Provided Here With His Kind Permission. As With The Other Entries In This Expansion Pack I Have Included The World Concepts Provided By bastardlydastard So That It Will Be Easier On The Reader.


Magic Is Divided Into Four Basic Types: Alteration, Conjuration, Transmutation, and Evocation.

Alteration: Alteration revolves around not only affecting but manipulating and controlling the minds of those around you. It allows one to another to feel an emotion, follow a specific train of thought, or some conjunction of the two. Alteration's effects can range from subtle manipulation of a person, to outright hypnosis and mind-slavery. However, The study of Alteration also teaches how to defend against psychic attacks and manipulation. Due to its insidious nature, The study of Alteration is officially Illegal in Estara though it is rumored that some of the noble classes still make use of it in secret to manipulate their enemies as well as their allies.

Conjuration: Conjuration magic is based on the summoning and binding of magical creatures. The act of summoning and binding a small creature is as simple as a wave of a hand, but the larger and more powerful the creature in question is, the more complex and time consuming the ritual becomes. See Magical Creatures for more details on what can be summoned.

Transmutation: Transmutation is focused on changing something from one form to another. Anything can be transformed into anything else, following a few simple rules:

  • Rule 1: something inanimate cannot be transformed into something animate, and vice versa. For Example, You cannot turn a wooden wheel into a goat, and in turn, you cannot turn a goat into a wooden wheel.
  • Rule 2: The original object must have a similar mass to what it is transformed into. For Example, a human cannot transform into a dragon, as there is simply not enough human to be shaped into something the size of a dragon. This does work in reverse, as a dragon CAN transform into a human by simply turning the extra mass into smoke or water or the like, but in cases such as this, the transformation cannot be reversed, as now the dragon's mass is about that of a human. The mass does not need to be exactly the same, and there is a 50lb. margin of error, meaning that transformation can still be done provided the final result and the original object are within 50lbs of each other.

  • Rule 2 Exceptions: Their are several loopholes concerning The Conservation of Mass (Rule 2): Exception 1): The Conservation of Mass as it's name implies only applies to The Mass of the material in question but not the energy contained within it which can be doubled or even tripled when the matter comprising the substance is broken down. Exception 2): One type of energy can be converted directly into an even greater quantity of another type of energy. Exception 3): There are certain Alchemical Catalytic Amplifiers that allow those well versed in the Transmutory Arts to seemingly bypass or even outright ignore The Conservation of Mass although such Catalysts are inherently unstable, unreliable, and as a result extremely dangerous. Exception 4): It is possible for high level Transmuters to turn something large into something small and back again, However, This entails compressing a object or being's mass by reducing the distance between their atoms thereby decreasing their size and increasing their density.
  • The Substitution of Mass: It is possible for a Transmuter to add or regain mass by leeching the mass of another creature or object. Another way to gain mass is to assemble the ingredients in the necessary quantities to build or rebuild lost mass.

Evocation: Evocation is focused on directing the chaotic forces of the elements and the exorcism or banishment of supernatural forces. The study of evocation allows one to throw fireballs, raise tidal waves, throw thunderbolts and so on.

Advanced:

Enchantment: Enchantment is accomplished by mixing Transmutation with one of the other magic types, (usually evocation). It uses transmutation to shape the object into something that accomplishes something else.

  • Necromancy: A Forbidden High-Level Enchantment combining Alteration and Conjuration, and requiring tremendous quantities of magical power. Necromancy can be used to communicate with and/or reanimate the dead, bind the soul of a person or animal to an object or suit of armor placing that beings Magic, Knowledge, or Skills at the disposal of the wielder or wearer, and to trap the souls of opponents killed in combat which can then be used for a variety of uses such as powering spells.

  • Substantiation: Substantiation is a ultra high-level technique that combines Alteration, Conjuration, Transmutation, and Evocation to varying degrees in order to condense massive amounts of magic power into a solid physical form, Usually some form of jewelry or in it's most powerful incarnations, A magical amplifier in the form of a Tome called a Grimoire. A Grimoire is unique to each user and can only be used by the one who made it and is extremely toxic to any other magic user that comes into contact with it. The Grimoire is not simply highly condensed magic but contains the sum total of it's creators magical knowledge and experience but it can only be deciphered by it's creator. Like it's creator, A Grimoire will grow, evolve, and increase in power. The main advantages in creating a Grimoire is in the ease with which one can cast even multiple spells, the increased power and speed of said spells, and the conservation of magical power and resources when casting spells.

Elemental Attributes: Those that utilize Magic can also possess a Magical Attribute which can enhance the power of their magic (Especially Evocation-based Magic) though it is not a prerequisite for magic use and the possession of an attribute is dependent on a wide range of factors including the magic user's bloodline as some families have stronger magical abilities than others, training, and even personality. Those with an attribute are easy to spot because when using high level magic the magical energies composing their spells take on the properties inherent in their attribute. Their are numerous magical attribute subtypes but the main Attributes are:

  • Metal: The most powerful Metal attribute is Steel and it is excellent for both attack and defense. Masters of this attribute type are able to blend their attack and defense together so that the two become one but it requires substantial magical reserves to make full use of what their magic is capable of. The second strongest Metal attribute is Mercury which requires incredible levels of control and finesse to control. The metal attribute is also extremely adept at sealing the magic of others, An example of this is by The Legendary Magesmith Lucinda Margolina Astwain who created the first Magiron (Magically-Enhanced Iron) Restraints to seal the power of other magic users using her Iron Attribute Mage-Smithing. Like The legendary magesmith most magic users possessing a Metal attribute are gifted in the smith arts.

  • Nature: The Nature attribute is the most versatile and the second strongest magical attribute when it comes to healing especially where disease and poison are concerned. It's strengths which are many lie in tracking, sensory enhancement, detecting entities either by illumination of the area or by magically sensing their presence, the control and manipulation of animal and plant life, and the control of natural forces. Many magic users with a Fire, Earth, Water, or Wind attribute often begin with a Nature attribute but for some unknown reason they undergo a change which permanently transforms their magical attribute. Beast magic is a Nature attribute subtype that allows magic users to take on the abilities and even the characteristics of any animal. Those that possess a Nature attribute affinity are also the best equipped to survive in the wilderness, have great senses of direction, and are often well versed in the use and treatment of poisons.

  • Fire: Fire Is the most powerful of the attack attributes and lends itself well to defense and healing as well. The sub-attribute of Fire is Ash which is a powerful trap-based counter magical specialty that makes attacking a Ash magic wielder extremely dangerous since they can amplify and reflect the magical and even physical attacks of their attacker. Royal Knight Captains often possess the Fire attribute.

  • Earth: Earth is the most powerful defensive attribute and also lends itself well to the reinforcement of physical strength and the other physical abilities. Those with a primary Earth attribute and affinity for Water as their second attribute wind up with a Mud type attribute which combines the best of both and also excels in binding.

  • Water: Water is the most powerful when it comes to the healing and restorative arts. It is also a powerful defensive attribute with several incredibly fast attack spells and potent healing properties.

  • Wind: Wind is tied with Lightning as the second most powerful attack attribute. Magic users with this attribute are known for their power, speed, maneuverability, and their ability to use multiple high level spells both simultaneously and in rapid succession without tiring significantly.

  • Lightning: Lightning Is the second fastest attribute and possesses both long-range and close-range applications. It's true power is seen in close quarters combat where it's speed is almost impossible to counter by any other attribute except Light. Lightning attribute users can accelerate not only their bodies but their minds achieving a level of speed that borders on teleportation. The more advanced Lightning attribute users can temporarily copy the attribute types of others while still retaining their own allowing them to combine their attribute with others creating types of magic with amazing properties and one of a kind never before seen spells. Lightning attribute users are the most fluid and adaptable of magic users. The mental and physical acceleration properties of the Lightning attribute make those who possess it exceptional strategists and tactical thinkers especially in the heat of battle where seconds mean the difference between life and . High level Transmuters with a Lightning attribute are capable of Telemancy, A magically simulated form of telapathy accomplished by the Transmuter transforming the electrical impulses of their nervous system into a unique form of energy that can travel tremendous speeds near instantaneously allowing them to communicate with one or more individuals at distances.

  • Darkness: Darkness is slow but incredibly powerful and can attain tremendous speed as well as increased power when focused through a weapon such as a sword. Those with a Darkness attribute are adept at concealment, blinding the senses of their opponents, arcane rituals, curse, hexes, and spatial magic. Darkness imbued magic is among the most difficult to control because of it's inherently chaotic and sinister nature as such most of those with a Darkness attribute are shunned out of fear because of the unsettling aura their magic exudes.

  • Light: Light is the fastest of all attributes and while it lacks the power inherent in a Fire attribute it more than makes up for that short coming with the fact that spells can travel at the literal speed of light and this speed doesn't just pertain to the speed of its attack and defensive spells but with the ease with which multiple spells can be cast simultaneously or in rapid succession. It is also a capable attribute when it comes to healing.

It is rare but it is possible for a magic user to demonstrate more than one attribute though the first manifested is always the most powerful while the second or even third attribute can only be developed to about a third of the strength and precision as the primary attribute but by combining the primary attribute with any other attribute or attributes a magic user might have they can create a wholly new type of magic. Those that develop additional attributes often have Lightning as their primary attribute as it naturally attracts magic of all types.


In Estara, Magic is absolutely forbidden to men. If a man is caught practicing magic, his tongue is cut out, and the index and ring finger are removed from each of his hands, preventing him from speaking or writing.

What's next?

Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)