More fun
Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)

Chapter 3 by zenxraider zenxraider

In which world are you?

The Elder Scrolls

Tamriel; one of the most fantastic and iconic fantasy worlds of gaming history. You couldn't remember how many countless hours and sleepless nights you've spent delving into its deep dungeons, traversing inter dimensional portals into the Planes of the Daedric Princes, or trekking the rugged wilds in search of that one last rogue dragon you needed to slay to complete the final piece of your dragon bone armor. Yes indeed, the Elder Scrolls would forever hold a special place near and dear to your heart, and now you had the opportunity of a lifetime to boldly go where no other gamer has gone before (whoops, wrong franchise). Of course the question now was which game do you choose?

  • Morrowind; your personal introduction to the series back in 2002 while you were visiting a friend's home. For all its quirky issues with movement, easily exploitable spell system, and especially infuriating combat mechanics (my sword went through the cliff racer and did no damage god damnit), the series' debut on console was classically charming if nothing else. The Blighted lands of the Dunmer were home to countless hidden mysteries for you to unearth, and that was what you found most enjoyable about the game anyway; the exploration and dungeon plundering.
  • Oblivion; perhaps Bethesda's first steps into the mainstream market, and as bright and colorful as the countless books from which the team drew inspiration. What it lacked in the simplification of specific game mechanics such as spellcrafting and enchantment, it more than made up for it with a heavily revised combat system more akin to its action-rpg competitors. A truly fantastic world of magic and wonder, you could easily see yourself calling this place your new home.
  • Skyrim; of course, we could never ignore the elephant in the room. All jokes and memes aside about the community, the game itself, Bethesda, and their countless remasters (for money obviously), most would agree that ESV was the high point of the series' glory days before the dark times of rampant DLC packs, broken promises, mod hunting, and outdated game engines (RIP Fallout, our sweet summer child...). All things considered, there was still ample reason to keep coming back for more. The world remained gorgeous, truly a viking's wetdream with countless monsters to slay, lovely maidens to rescue, and a promise of glory everlasting on the other side of 's door in Soverngarde. And this was all before you opened up the literal gold mine that was the Modding Community (Macho Man Randy Savage and Thomas the Tank Engine dragons, and swearing, monocle-wearing mudcrabs ftw).

How many more games did you have to explore? Sure there were others, but ultimately those were the Big Three that came to the forefront of your mind.


A/N: New thread, because why not. Yep, I've been an Elder Scrolls kid since Morrowind. Let's see how deep this rabbit's "hole" goes.

What's next?

Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)