More fun
Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)

Chapter 2 by Storier Storier

What power do you wish to explore?

Subliminal Messaging

Subliminal Messaging

How it works: Through exposure to engineered subliminal messages over an extended timeframe, individuals can be conditioned to feel, think, and behave in any way chosen. These messages may be embedded as a secret payload beneath other audio, such as music or a video, imperceptible to the waking mind of the listener, but affecting their subconscious. Conditioning is insidious if carried out carefully, with victims unaware they've been compromised. Even for those victims that do notice, it's likely they'll rationalize new thoughts and behaviors as their own choice rather than as a product of outside influence, especially if encouraged to do so by their subliminal programming.

Limitations: Subliminal messaging requires a mix of circumstance, equipment, and technique to work. Only specialized software can mix the sound files. You need customized speakers to impart subliminal conditioning, and you may have to tailor your scripts to the psychology of your target for maximum impact. In addition, the victim must listen to the subliminal audio several times, dozens of times, before it takes hold.

During the process, any number of things can go wrong. The victim may realize what's happening and try to stop it. A friend, coworker, or family member may confront the victim about their changing behavior, or the victim may go too long without listening to the subliminals and find them wearing off. Alternatively, the victim may internalize the subliminal messaging in a way you didn't plan for, throwing a wrench into your plans.

Variants

Strong Subliminals: Your particular method of messaging is especially powerful. programming that would normally require years or months only takes months or weeks instead. Even one exposure to your messaging, such as through listening to a song laced with subliminals, can lead to measurable changes in thought and behavior. Due to their base power, victim psychology is less important a factor when writing your subliminal scripts. Anyone subjected to such conditioning will be similarly influenced, differences in the time required being minimal from individual to individual.

Universal Carrier: Where subliminal messaging normally requires specialized speakers or screens to convey, your messaging is uniquely engineered to be effective over frequencies native to commercial audio equipment. Common pieces of technology, such as earbuds, radios, and sound systems, may all serve as carriers for your subliminal scripts.

Visual Delivery: You embed your subliminal messaging not in audio, but in visual components (or both audio and visual). Any moving image can contain your subliminals, such as video files, video games, or movies.

Latent Messaging: Your subliminal messaging style is so insidious that no extra effort is required to hide or disguise them. Tones inaudible to the human ear may carry potent subliminals to listeners, without them hearing anything more than a slight ringing in their ears. With Visual Delivery, even static text or images (such as posters, books, or even something like wallpaper), otherwise innocuous to visual inspection, may deliver conditioning to all who see it.

Overt Messaging: Your messaging technique is particularly blunt. Victims must be aware of the contents of the conditioning in order for it to affect them. For you, there's no such thing as a hidden track playing beneath audio, or graphics hidden in plain sight. Subliminal music must have audible lyrics describing the programming for the listener. Subliminal graphics must feature hypnotic spirals, strobing colors, or white-noise patterns with visible text-based conditioning to have any effect.

Crude Conditioning: While most subliminal messaging uses natural language to influence its victims, your subliminals are particularly crude. You cannot convey higher-order concepts through your subliminals. Your messaging may only utilize basic emotions, triggers, and instinctive behaviors for conditioning. (eg not "You want to have sex", but rather, conveying low-order concepts without words, such as <sexual pleasure> == <good>, equating the sensation of sexual pleasure with good, rewarding emotions)

Insidious Application: Your subliminals utilize a much more delicate and refined delivery method - one that renders even overt influences to behavior or mindset invisible to the target. The victims of your subliminal messaging will nearly always believe all their new thoughts or behaviors originated within themselves as their own ideas, however they may be. Only explicit evidence to the contrary has a chance of shaking this belief - though even that isn't a guarantee.

Wielder, power variant, and motive?

Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)