More fun
Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)

Chapter 3 by Ben Rosewood Ben Rosewood

What's next?

Spencer gets to Work

During the week, Spencer and Evelyn exchanged details of the job. His renovations efforts had taught him that every detail mattered. Evelyn did her best to answer Spencer between her busy schedule. Spencer found himself enjoying his preparations for the little project, although he didn't ever admit it out loud, especially in the earshot of the other mothers.

When the weekend came, Spencer headed to Evelyn's small house right after lunch. Like she had instructed, Spencer found her keys under her doormat. He let himself in and moved to the living room, finding the corner of carpet Evelyn had lifted up. He got to work right away, measuring the exact amount of wood he'd have to use, before replacing the damaged floorboards.

Right when he finished, Evelyn arrived back home. "Oh, hey."

"Hey. So it's all done and all."

"Thanks Spence." Evelyn reaches for her pocket and pulled out her wallet. "Now what do I owe you?"

"Nothing Evelyn. The project itself kept me busy."

"Well, what about the wood?" Evelyn sounded dejected by Spencer's response, despite his good intentions.

"Uhh... 20 bucks would be fine."

"You sure?"

"How about 20 and a hot cup of coffee?"

Finally, Evelyn nodded in agreement. "I can do that. Yeah, sure."

Spencer followed Evelyn into the kitchen where she relieved herself of the burden of her duty belt and all the equipment it carried. Spencer asked "So, how was your day?"

"Yeah alright. I mean Britney gave me one hell of a shouting match when I pulled her over, but other than that, not much."

"Jeez, Britney?" Most of the parents dreaded Britney, the overbearing mother who's crowning achievement was being the prom queen over a decade ago.

"Yep. That's going to be fun next week." Evelyn shook her head. "Jeez, I sound like a housewife."

Spencer chuckled as Evelyn made the coffees. The two then sat down on Evelyn's couch, where she kicked off her shoes.

"So when do you have work?"

"At nine. Just guarding some country club in a nearby town. Everyone's paranoid about the opium epidemic."

"And here's me thinking Upstate New York is safe."

"Oh, it is. Some people just feed of the bullshit they watch on TV." Evelyn shrugged. "Works for me."

"Jeez, that must keep you up?"

"Yeah, well, I have nightshift tomorrow, so I'll get some rest."

"Well, that's good."

Spencer noticed Evelyn rub the back of her neck as if she had some sort of cramp. "God Spencer, I gotta say, retirement must be a blessing."

"Uhh, you okay?"

"Just bit of a backache."

"Would you like a backrub?"

"If you don't mind."

Does the backrub go any further?

Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)