More fun
Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)

Chapter 2 by Athenaselena Athenaselena

Who finds the remote?

Selena, 23 year old semi-struggling artist.

"Another slow day sis?"

I look up from my phone and see my sister, Athena, standing in front of our booth looking down at me.

"Yep, only 11 sells so far and 7 of those were those cheap post cards we made, so, with any luck in the next few hours before we pack up, we might make enough to pay for the booth for today"

My sister makes a disapproving sound and says "Isaac is waiting tables today if you want to go over and work your magic for some fries or something. Hell maybe you could score us some sandwiches for dinner"

I squeeze out from behind the table of our little booth and hand Athena the little card reader we take debit cards with.

"You know, its not that I am sick of sandwiches. It's just that I am sick of having to lean on the good will of one of our friends all the time" I say before I turn to go.

The fastest way to get to the restaurant that Isaac works at would be to simply exit to the street that runs along the market. Not being eager to repeat the same song and dance we always do when Isaac is waiting tables, I decide to head through the market instead. Snaking my way though groups of tourist, some gawking at fresh and dried flowers, some just stopping in the middle of the path for no obvious reason, I nod at the few regular vendors I recognize when they notice me pass their tables. Nearing the main entrance to the market, a new vendor catches my eye.

He's a tallish scruffy blond man with blue eyes, a pot belly and a jovial smile. He looks deep into a conversation with Amy, the markets quick to anger Vendor Rep, while they both gesture broadly at his empty booth. Being always nosey and a little curious, I wonder a little closer to try to over hear them.

"Its not a great look for the market to have such a prominently placed booth empty on a Saturday afternoon" Amy huffs.
"It's not empty, I have plenty of stuff to sell" The stranger laughingly says
"I know, you keep saying you have items to sell but why don't you put them out so people will WANT TO BUY THEM" Amy is starting to turn red.
"I sell what people are looking for, they just have to ask for what the are looking for and I will give them them what I have"
"Whatever that means" Amy says dismissively, "if I don't see something for sale or even just a sign up the next time I do my walk though, we will have a talk about moving your booth in the future, I DON'T CARE IF YOU PAID FOR THE PREMIUM SPOT" Amy shouts then turns to storm past me into the crowd.

I turn and watch her nearly run over a tourist as she stomps away. When I return my gaze to the stranger and his empty booth, he is grinning that big jovial grin of his and waves me over. Curious to see what he actually sells, I wonder over.

"Hello young lady, can I get you what you are looking for?"
"Two things, one, I probably can't afford it and two, I don't know what I am looking for."
"Tell me a little about yourself and maybe I can find something that will work for you"
I shrug and tell him about the booth my sister and I run, how its not doing great and how I always feel powerless and not in control of my life. I go on to talk about how I feel like I am just wondering around aimless after college and I don't really know what to do with my life. How I always seem to mess up my relationships and how I've been single since just after graduation. Honestly, I tell him way more than I would have ever told a stranger, especially here at one of the Markets we sell at. My sister and I try to keep our heads down and try not to share too much about our selves or engage with others as we might get pulled into the drama that is always present amongst the vendors at the different markets.

He thinks for a few moments, then rummages under the table, coming up with what looks like a walkie-talkie. He then hands me the small device, it has two prominent buttons, green and red and a small screen with an antenna looking protuberance on the top.

Before he says anything, I press the green button while turning it around in my hand while I give it a once over. The screen illuminates and some texts come up on the screen. Looking at the text closely, my heart skip a beat:

  • SELECTED TARGET: Selena Núñez

WHY DOES IT KNOW MY NAME?

I start to panic a little, this is too weird. I start trying to think of a way it got my name and keep coming up with a blank. After what feels like forever racking my brain for an answer, I think of a plausible explanation. It must be an RFID reader! That's it! It simply read the chip in my enhanced drivers license. That had to be it. They put RFID chips in them a while ago to speed up getting into Canada.

My sister and I got them sometime ago, thinking we would maybe like to drive up to B.C. every once and a while once the business took off... that was a while ago and we never used them. They have been saying for years that people could read your info and to put it into a protective sleeve. I never got around to doing that and it looks like that is going to bite me in the butt.

I press the red button, hoping it would cancel what ever the little box was doing. It starts to read out the following:

Identity: Pervert

Initial Attribute Unlocked

DIRTY MIND

The target will now experience dirty thoughts frequently and often unintentionally. The dirty thoughts will become more frequent over time, and become more intrusive. The target will now experience a constant horniness, starting at a very low baseline level that they will never fall below, over time this baseline level will increase.

THIS IS WEIRD... Maybe its a sexual role play game of some kind. Like a random sexy idea generator. Like I would pretend this is true while role playing during sex. Hmm, that does sound sexy...

I look up at the man with the constant broad smile beaming down at me. "That is the Random Remote, as you can see you lock on to people with the green button and the red button seals the deal."

"What do you mean 'seals the deal'"? I respond

"Those changes will happen to your target. What it reads will be true"

"This has got to be some sort of game" i retort.

"This isn't a game." He says in a way that makes me absolutely sure he isn't lying

My mind is racing, this sounds fun and dirty and kind of evil... But it makes me feel powerful in a way I have never felt before... and maybe I can start to get control of my life. If I am being Honest with myself, I just like the idea of having such a device.

"How much?" I ask

"$13.31"

I look in my purse and see exactly $13 in singles... and after digging though the bottom of my purse, I found exactly 31 cents... This is creepy. I hand him the money and thank him.

He says "Everything the remote does is Random, but the random traits are ones the targeted person's brain is most compatible with. Be careful"

My heart is about to pound out of my chest, I decide to ditch the Market and go sit in my car for a few minutes till I can think straight.

I make it to my car and calm down some, what should I do now?

Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)