More fun
Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)

Chapter 14 by hematoma hematoma

What do you do?

Try your luck inside the inn

"I'll send word on what to do with my horse," you say.

"Don't be long," warns the farrier, "or I'll be to tie him outside in the rain. Be a shame if he caught sick."

Despite the man's friendly demeanor, his words are callous. You would much rather try your luck inside the Yard's Beast and at least have a bit more warmth. Stepping beneath the rain-swept eaves, you enter the lantern glow and murmuring conversation of the tavern. The warmth chases the worst of the chill away. There is a fire roaring in the hearth.

The house is not bawdy, but there are a good number of patrons, mostly older locals, and a few who appear to be from the surrounding area judging by their travel garb. They look up at you from their conversations and lonely drinks with increasing interest. It is perhaps not often that a striking, red-haired woman walks in wearing a gown that is waterlogged to look as thin as gossamer. You cover yourself with your arms as best you can.

A busty serving girl brushes past you, her tits jiggling in her low-cut blouse as she slings her tray of ale to a table of laughing customers. You make your way through the tavern, feeling the eyes of men upon you as you approach the bar and a broad-shouldered man with a handsome peasant face and an apron tied around his waist. His frown becomes a smile as he sees you approaching.

"You seem out of place," he says. "I am Thomas. What can I do for you?"

"I rode here from the abbey at White Rock," you say and lean closer to him. "The abbey has fallen to attacker and it is very important that I reach Gerlangen with haste. I need to dry off and see that my horse is fed and watered. But...I have no money."

"I'm afraid my wife is rather particular about who she allows in her kitchen. You could plead your case to her if you'd like." Thomas frowns and strokes the fine golden hair of his beard. He snaps his fingers. "If you'd like to earn some cash, there are some wine barrels down in the basement that need to be oiled. I'll show you where they are if you are interested."

He winks at you, clearly signalling that there are no wine barrels in need of oil in the basement. Whatever he has in mind, you suspect it will threaten your chastity. He shrugs as you hesitate.

"Or you could try asking some of them men here in the tavern. You're a comely woman. I'm sure there's someone who will find it in their hearts to spare some coin."

You glance behind you and realize you are being watched by two men in particular. One is a decrepit old local with watery blue eyes. He is stick thin and tall, with a tangled white beard. He licks his lips and sips at a hot drink.

The other is a handsome and well-groomed man cloaked in velvet and wearing a quilted red doublet. His boots are expensive and his breeches suggest he has been on the road. He stares at you unwavering and smiles.

There are many options for a young woman, none of them particularly savory. Perhaps it would be better to take your chances with Thomas's wife Lydia.

What do you do?

Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)