More fun
Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)

Chapter 2 by Bungun Bungun

Pick your poison.

Mushroom Rings

If it's not for the big buck that foraging season saves, then it is definitely for the tastes no place but the forest can offer.

You love the forest.

It's peaceful. It's quiet. There's food everywhere... Why is it that nobody visits it? You always find yourself asking this question. Every day of every summer, you carry your woven basket up a steep dirt path, deep into the forests and beneath towering mountains, wondering where everyone is. It is as if they're avoiding it. And it's not just the people. You haven't seen a single animal since the woods have become your own special place.

Well... Yes, it might have some off-putting aspects... The eerie silence is one of them but that's what makes it special. There's nothing here that can harm you!

At least the grass rustles once in a while. Guided by the blow of wind, it separates little paths and reveals spots of brown and red. When that happens, you quickly make a mental note of their location before the grass stands up again, and then you bring all those fuzzy fellas into a new, cozy home. Reds are no-no's, especially the white-spotted ones. Most of the browns fine... But talking about mushrooms... You suddenly remember another strange point of the forest.

It's something no one else should know!

...

Some mushrooms grow in such a way that they form perfect circles, like a ring! Sometimes, you even find berries and nuts inside the rings. You doubt anyone places them inside, for reasons previously mentioned... But in that case, how do they appear?

As your mind has found a fun mystery to tackle while you fill your basket, you feel as if the time passes faster. Some nuts, some berries, and everything in between; they all find a spot inside your basket. You're very satisfied with your harvest.

Meanwhile, the sun dims to a warm, orange glow and warns that if you loiter around, you might overstay your visit into the night.

The way back is simple enough, you believe. Even on an unmarked path, you're confident you can pick the right direction, and might in fact even reach home faster than following the dirt track. There are no snakes to be afraid of... Yes! You'll do exactly that!

Coming to the conclusion that reaching home faster means you can finish your work faster, and then in turn return to the forest even earlier, your steps race each other to the boundary of the forest. A short while later already brings you to an unfamiliar area, but this doesn't discourage you. There's no danger after all. The boundary should be just ahead.

A look left, a look right, and another dozen steps; you repeat this motion over and over... A look left, a look right, and another dozen steps... A look left, a look right, and there's a mushroom ring!

There seems to be something inside. It's glowing, mainly purple with all kinds of different colors. Sometimes green is the brightest, then the thing turns yellow... It's mesmerizing.

You want it...

Take it?

Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)