More fun
Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)

Chapter 73 by Zingiber Zingiber

Any drama or intrigue this morning? Otherwise get a GOAL from the Tutor.

Meet with Leontes' Tutor and pick a GOAL.

Preston Sharper sits opposite you and Fay in the Tutor's office. The older man fidgets absentmindedly, sitting on the edge of the chair, his feet shifting as if he's ready to jump into action.

"Well, young ladies," he says, "It's customary to set new members of the House a task to help them settle in and feel like they've joined in with the spirit of Leontes -- brave, bold, and active."

You try to hide your trepidation. Timid, hesitant and languid is closer to your character. Except at parties, perhaps. Oh, Golondrina, what we did for you, you muse to yourself.

"But given your eventful first evening..." the Tutor begins.

Followed by an embarrassing faint doing a simple banishing, then a horrid time being purged in the Infirmary, you avoid adding out loud.

"...I had thought in the spirit of generosity -- another Leontean virtue, by the way -- I would offer you young ladies your choice amongst several suitable tasks," he says.

You and Fay straighten up and listen politely to the Tutor.

"The Housemaster suggested you leap right into things," the Tutor says. "There is an opening for a Prefect in your year. Your academics and skills are strong. The deciding factor here in Leontes would be a trial by combat. Win three duels against the other candidates and you are Leontes' newest Prefect. Of course if you each win your first two, you'll face each other."

Fay chuckles. "Morgan would like that," she says.

Your mouth goes to a flat line. Wouldn't, you avoid saying. But you're not actually bad at duels, just a little out of practice.

Preston Sharper clears his throat. "As another alternative, the Warden had a suggestion that speaks to your difficult first night. In order to test our Wards, you will conjure Sendings against your dormitory." He hesitates when he sees your and Fay's faces change. "No, nothing like that. Giggle-imps, perhaps, glow-crickets or shade spiders. The Warden will watch for gaps in the Wards. It will be both a test of strength and skill."

You and Fay let your breaths out. Difficult, perhaps, and taxing to your strength, but it sounded almost, well, useful.

The Tutor nods. "Or there's a more traditional task," he says. "Third year's hosting Mabsday Eve party. If you two make a good show of organizing, it will be a fine start for you in Leontes. I imagine, as these things go, there may be running around and trading favors to get everything you need."

He takes a breath and looks at you and Fay.

"Do you think one of those would suit?" he asks.


Trial by Combat: HAVE A MAGIC DUEL three times. (The third would be against Fay, and you could use your FAVOR). Take +1 extra XP if you win three times. You may get a list of the other contenders. Before each duel, you may ENCOUNTER other members of Leontes to try and get advantages; or simply ASK FOR A FAVOR given your low BRAVERY handicaps you in when having an ENCOUNTER.

Testing the Wards: Custom Move on Cunning at a -2 penalty. You may use Fay's FAVOR for a +2. On a 10+, gain +1 XP and the Warden becomes a FRIEND. On a 7-9, gain +1 XP and hilarious chaos of some sort ensues. GET OUT OF TROUBLE. Treat a Miss as a Missed Goal. (See Having a GOAL, Owing a FAVOR).

Hosting Mabsday Eve: Use ENCOUNTER and ASK FOR A FAVOR to get at least two FAVORs from Leontes students (especially third-years) and Leontes or Boarbristle staff. Maybe Dorothy the Giantess would be a jolly helper. Mabsday Eve is a party that traditionally has themes of harvest, the Fair Folk, and dreams, especially of love. Once you have the FAVORs lined up, roll TRY TO ACHIEVE A GOAL vs. Ambition at -3. Use one of your FAVORs for a +2, and hold the other in case you need to save a Complicated Success or Miss.

You have +2 Ambition, -1 Bravery, +2 Cunning, +0 Diligence.
You have 4 XP.
You have a FAVOR from Fay, who is also your FRIEND.

What do you choose? Or do you beg off deciding for now, maybe wanting to see Golondrina?

What's your choice? Or do you beg off for now?

Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)