More fun
Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)

Chapter 2 by mask mask

Are you mermaid or merman?

First let's find The Librarian(for writers and the studious)

There is a library beneath the ocean, it may be found in all the major Merfolk settlements, but it is the same library. It belongs to a mysterious but oddly easily found mermaid known only as, The Librarian. She is a beautiful mermaid of the fish variety with long curly hair. She has an unrivalled passion of books and will do anything to get her hands on a new one, which she then restores and adds to her own collection. Note that if you find any books in your travels you may trade it to her for a favour or something nice.

No one knows how old the Librarian is, but it is rumoured that she is a keen practitioner of magic. A notion which is strengthened by her ability to telepathically send large quantities of information all at once as well as the ease with which any merfolk can find her regardless of which merfolk society they find themselves in.

This is why you do not need to swim far to catch sight of her.

She barely glances at you before you feel a large amount of information entering you mind labelled:

A Merfolk Crash-course for Young Adults

Merfolk & their environments

The water world is a big and varied place and some species are especially well suited foor specific environments such as cold or fresh water or deep depths.

However regardless of what environment merfolk are best suited for, all of the merfolk are raised in merfolk societies (sometimes called sanctuaries) located in warm oceanic sunlight zones. Upon maturity many merfolk will eventually chose to travel back to their natural habitats. While underage merfolk may exist outside of a sanctuary, these are rare and only due to exceptional circumstances.

It is not unusual for merfolk to be curious about other environments and they may chose to explore or even settle down in other places dissimilar to the preferred waters of their species. Though merfolk may experience some discomfort from being ill adapted to their environment, it seldom poses a danger to their health. Merman may even subconsciously or -more unusually- consciously use magic to compensate and remove any negative effects the environment has on their organism.

(image: freshwater merfolk of the worm variety)

Merfolk & Humans

Many merfolk have a fascination for land-dwellers. Especially humans who have some features in common with us.

Freshwater merfolk are said to encounter humans most frequently as a result of living in proximity to human settlements and shallow waters. However oceanic mearfolk who enjoy beaches or certain fishing spots also frequently come in contact with beachgoers and fishermen. However, given the adventurous nature of humans they may be encountered almost any where in the ocean. Though more infrequently.

Note that many humans individuals and communities are unaware of our existence and may react in a maner which poses a danger to the discovered merfolks health and freedom. But never fear that the same danger will befall well established merfolk communities, for they all have magical boundaries which protect them from outside threats and pollutants.


Merfolk varieties

One of the most notable aspects of the Merfolk is their diversity. However an attempt has been made to categories the various species, and collect defining qualities. Given the nature of generalisations there are many merfolk, who may fall into a certain category but not bear all of the features or match the common mainstream temperament. Especially considering the common practice of interspecies intercourse, miscegenation and the chance of mutations.

Fish Variety

The most common merfolk are the fish variety, which are the kind that most surface dwellers will think about when they imagine what our kind look like. Scaly, glittery tails and human like torsos. Of course this is an umbrella category for countless species, all with their own coloration and quirks.

Dolphin Variety

The second most common merfolk are the dolphins, their distinguishing features are their smooth scale-less hides and the firm flukes that make up their tails along with an iconic dorsal fin.

Usually friendly and curious of other species, they are quick to help should they see someone fall afoul of danger. However, they are even more so inclined to stay in singel- or mixed gender groups of their own kind, where they lead intense, drama-filled social lives.

Whales variety

Often lumped with Dolphins they have some notable features unique to their kind. Much like dolphins they have the same kinds of hides and tails, but lack a dorsal fin. Although also friendly and willing to help if needed, they are gentle creatures and not very excitable.

What makes them most worthy of note is their tendency towards giantism, some times turning them into Leviathan like existences. Though there exist many whales that are similarly sized as other merfolk.

An example of a giant mermaid, take note, this is not actually a whale, but and orca who belongs to the dolphin variety.

Shark Variety

The shark variety are rather notorious in the ocean. Dangerous, temperamental, fickle and mostly carnivores. They are formidable, quick and sturdy fighters with a penchant for biting. Some subspecies of shark are solitary creatures while others are not. Although they may seem unapproachable from afar, brave merfolk quickly realise that none are more passionate than sharks in love.

Cephalopod variety

Yet another species known primarily through their infamy are Squids, octopus, and cuttlefish merfolk. Known crudely as the tentacle variety, by ignorant enthusiasts. Octopuses are frequently solitary, but many species of squid and cuttlefish are known to work in teams or form long partnerships.

Deeply intelligent and sensual, both shy and outgoing, these merfolk are the Jacks-of-all-trades in the Ocean. Many have been known to dabble in magic, but are equally dangerous in close quarters, capable of ensnaring victims with their tentacles. All merfolk of this family are venomous and have a powerful bite. Even more enviable are their extensive repertoire of survival skills of which you'll have to read of more elsewhere.

In short, those of the famed "tentacle variety" are even more unpredictable than the sharks and few can guess at their true intentions.

Dragon Variety

This rarest variety among merfolk have been recorded to grow into what is known as leviathan level existences, however many are sized similarly to other merfolk. Most merfolk have heard myths about them: Fearsome haughty creatures, with a natural gift for magic they nevertheless are said to possess a profoundly spiritual heart.

Dragons are not to be confused with the sea dragon (seahorse variety) or blue dragon(sea slug variety).

Mentions of other Varieties

This crash-course can only scratch the surface of the diversity that may be found in the ocean, however, there are plenty of other species such as rays, eels, seahorses, water reptiles, seals, oysters, jellyfish, sea-slugs and crustaceans to name only a few.

Anthropomorphic variety

Another is the anthropomorphic or humanoid variety. This great mess of a category encompasses those beings who possess human legs to walk on land while preferring an underwater environment and also possessing many merfolk features such as fish tails and fins. They are highly susceptible to mutations, almost none are alike the next rendering most individuals of their kind, unique.

Unclassified variety

Among the numbers of merfolk there are those that cannot even be categorised, seemingly possessing multiple traits of wildly different merfolk varieties, including non-water-dwelling species.

Leviathans

This is a term used to describe the creatures of the sea with the conditions of giantism. An infrequent occurrence in merfolk - with the exceptions of certain species where it appears naturally - this condition also afflicts various other water dwelling species and is usually caused by a mutation.

Although merfolk who do not naturally possess this condition may be reasoned with - leviathans seldom deign to value the lives or wellbeing of those smaller than themselves. This is especially the case with non-merfolk leviathans who might well only consider you a convenient appetiser.

As a merfolk it is important to practice great caution in the presence of a leviathan. Even those whom seem benevolent.


Having steadily received such a great deal of information all at once you shake your head and think you've had quite enough of studying.

You can always request The Librarian for more information on a specific specises if needed by leaving a comment. Heck, maybe you could even research it yourself and share it with The Librarian. But right now it's time to continue on with your business.

Experience is the best teacher, and you would have to work very hard not to learn anything from the ocean!

The Librarian is already long gone by the time you collect your thoughts, obviously not very interested by an inexperienced adult such as yourself.

As you are about to turn back you catch sight a recruitment notice the Librarian had carved on a stone which reads.

"Recruiting editor and marine-life enthusiast to contribute to the library. Leave a comment or send a message to share your observations or apply."

You look away and vaguely think you'll consider it after gaining a bit more experience.

Actually, you have some other questions about...

Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)