More fun
Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)

Chapter 11 by NeedAMedic NeedAMedic

Does Emmaline join the crowd, or is she more subtle?

Emmaline receives a summons from a powerful guest

She slid along the walls of the ballroom, observing the other guests as they mingled in the lavish room. Emmaline was surprised to find that she could still recognize many of the people milling about. Over there was Lord Addermire, enjoying some of the wine. Nearby, Lady DeLvaux was in the midst of a raucous dance, and to be doing everything in her power to completely expose herself to the rest of the guests, short of actually removing her dress, at least.

She smiled, bemused that the costumes seemed to be having an entirely negligible effect on hiding their identities. She could tell them apart perhaps even easier than if they were plainly dressed. In her amusement, she didn't seem to realize that this would, of course, apply to herself just as well.

As she looked about, her eyes were drawn to a group of men who were keeping themselves slightly aloof from the rest of the crowd, secluded near the staircase that lead to the upper level around one of fine wooden drinking tables. Their costumes were more austere than those of most of the other guests, largely devoid of the flamboyant feathers and gemstones that many of the others favored.

The man who appeared to be the leader, dressed in finer white cloth, was watching the crowd. His harsh pale blue eyes seemed to miss nothing, sliding from one person to the next, resting on each of them as if judging them in turn. His companions were likewise vigilant, though their looks seemed more so cautious than powerful. They were watching for potential threats, while the leader was fully aware that he was the threat himself.

Emmaline didn't recognize him, which was odd given his unique appearance and demeanor. He almost certainly wasn't an aristocrat, but he was clearly familiar with wielding power, as evidenced by both his behavior and the very fact that he was attending this ball. Was he a military man? Perhaps a religious leader?

As she tried to puzzle it out, the man's gaze fell over her. His pale eyes seemed to take in everything about her in an instant. His lips curled slightly in a dry smile and her turned to say something to one of his companions. The other man nodded, then began to make his way toward her, the crowd parting easily for his passage.

"Greetings my lady," the man said with a slight bow, before gesturing back to his group. "My master invites you to join him for a glass of wine. He asks me to say that he would value a few moments of your precious time."

***

This chapter was co-authored by Shandy (https://chyoa.com/user/Shandy) through a Roleplay! Shandy is the author of Fox in the Henhouse and The Peril's of Lisa-- please check out his stuff! :)

Does Emmaline meet with the intimidating man?

Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)