More fun
Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)

Chapter 12 by NeedAMedic NeedAMedic

Does Emmaline meet with the intimidating man?

Emmaline is introduced to the Bishop of Waterford

"Certainly. Seeing as I am unoccupied, I shall accompany you at once." She adjusted her tone immediately. These men were clearly used to working in high society, and they might know something useful, Emmaline knew it would be important not to offend them. She gave a quick nod to the man who had come to fetch her, matching his gaze for as long as she could while still being polite, before allowing her eyes to flit back over to the other man.

It frustrated her to no end not knowing who this man was. Emmaline had been away from her family for some time, but these games noblemen and women liked to play were still firmly lodged in her brain. They were at once the most enjoyable and most inconvenient part of this sort of life, where no one quite wanted to be direct. But then, their hesitancy toward directness could be quite fun. Emmaline had, in the past, twisted a fair number of noblemen around her finger simply by implying ideas which neither of them could speak to directly and then denying she meant anything at all when he tried to press further. As she looked once again at the man in charge, Emmaline wondered if she might do so again shortly.

As she made her way over to the gentlemen, Emmaline tried to get a read on them once again, judging if their demeanor or stance, if anything about the way they presented themselves might give her some sort of edge. The best she could surmise by the time she reached them was that the man who had approached her was likely a former or current church member, though the rest eluded her. Within moments she was standing before the man in charge, hands crossed in front of her, calmly holding his gaze while she waited to be introduced.

"Your Eminence, the lady Emmaline Beaumanoir has consented to join you. My lady, allow me to present his Eminence, the Bishop of Waterford," Emmaline's companion announced. The Bishop inclined his head to her, then gestured slightly to one of his companions who produced two glasses of wine and presented them to both of them.

"So kind of you my lady," he said softly, his pale eyes not leaving her face. Emmaline had a momentary sense that his eyes could see into her very soul and strip bare all her secrets, expose all her sins. She gave a tiny, imperceptible shudder, telling herself she was being silly as the Bishop continued. "So kind to take time away from these revels to join me. I have no doubt that there are more exciting companions to be had among such gaiety and frivolity, so I value the courtesy you have extended me. Your health my lady," he said, raising his glass in a toast.

***

This chapter was co-authored by Shandy (https://chyoa.com/user/Shandy) through a Roleplay! Shandy is the author of Fox in the Henhouse and The Peril's of Lisa-- please check out his stuff! :)

Continue:

Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)