More fun
Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)

Chapter 13 by NeedAMedic NeedAMedic

Continue:

The Bishop discusses his station

"And yours as well" Emmaline responded, raising her glass in kind before lifting it to her lips, drinking enough to be polite. The quality of the wine far outstripped her expectations, a rich, deep, full flavor which was apt for such a lavish event, but would have been completely out of place in Emmaline's prior daily life. She drank again. It felt like a reminder of her life at home, before all the crazy circuses and adventures, with wealth, family and comfort. Emmaline hadn't thought she missed it, and yet...

"Waterford. I do not believe I've had the pleasure of visiting," Emmaline smiled cheerfully as she lowered her glass, keeping it held only slightly raised. She made a small gesture with the glass "Is this from there? It is quite unlike anything I have had the opportunity to taste recently."

Emmaline steeled herself as she held his gaze. The man was like a hawk, or some sort of demon perhaps, unflinching. She recalled her governess telling her about how important it was to never let anyone have an upper hand over her, but in the moment, Emmaline couldn't help but feel as though she had somehow already lost. She kept up her polite, friendly smile, but she felt like little more than a puppet at the end of the Bishop's string.

"I'm afraid Waterford would seem rather dull and provincial to your sophisticated tastes my lady. A trading center, wealthy to be sure and growing in influence, but far from the lavish life of court and the capital. The wine, as you surmise is from there. In fact it is made by the monks of the Abbey. They are very proud of this vintage. Rightfully so, I'm told, although I confess i have an unsophisticated palate. For wine at least." His lips curled in a slight smile, and once again Emmaline felt as though his gaze was stripping her bare.

"Waterford, for all that it lacks in the excitement and frivolity of court, makes up for it in economic influence. And I should say, it's influence in social and political matters as well. Not to mention in matters concerning the Church. It has become the prime center of the Holy Office, charged with rooting out heresy, and the adherents thereof. I have the honour, as Bishop, to be the administrator of said Office. It is trying and difficult work, but necessary, as I'm sure you understand."

The Bishop smiled as he spoke, his tone mild and his face seemingly full of kindness, but his eyes still seemed to Emmaline to be drilling into her, searching for answers.

***

This chapter was co-authored by Shandy (https://chyoa.com/user/Shandy) through a Roleplay! Shandy is the author of Fox in the Henhouse and The Peril's of Lisa-- please check out his stuff! :)

Continue:

Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)