More fun
Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)

Chapter 14 by NeedAMedic NeedAMedic

Continue:

The Bishop asks Emmaline's advice on an important matter

"Ah, well it seems that we certainly have some commonality in that regard." Emmaline did her best to rally some sort of cheerfulness to combat the Bishop's overpowering gaze. But, yet again, she felt as though she was being drowned out by his intensity. She stifled a sigh as she continued. "I am certain that a man of your position would be well acquainted with the work I have undertaken in recent years to rid the lands of those who would do harm to good and innocent men and women."

"It is always a pleasure to meet those aligned with the cause of the righteous" Emmaline raised her glass in a toast. Once again, she found herself drinking more than she knew she should; the glass was already partially drained. "Perhaps I shall be able to afford a visit out to Waterford in the coming days. Though it pains me to bring up occupational trivialities on the evening of an event as fine as this, I imagine we might have a lot to discuss."

She considered that this man would likely make for a powerful ally, if their interests did indeed align as she hoped they would. If nothing else, he might be able to set the Bravos on the right track of finding the source of the Lust curse that seemed to be running rampant. A man of his status in the church was certain to have useful connections, after all. Still, she couldn't help but imagine how bizarre it would feel knowing that someone watching her back had such a frightening stare.

"Yes my lady, I am familiar with the work of you and your companions. You are to be commended for it. And indeed, as you say, we might have much to discuss." He takes a sip of wine and gestures for both glasses to be refilled. Emmaline found her glass full again before she could protest.

"In fact," the Bishop continued, "It is a matter of mutual interest that urged me to seek your company this evening. As you said, while it pains me to bring up occupational trivialities at such an affair as this, sometimes one must bow to necessity."

He smiles gently at her, his gaze looking deep into her face. "As I noted earlier, the Holy Office is charged with investigating and rooting out heresy. No matter where it may lie. Certain documents have come into the possession of the Holy Office, indicating that the daughter of an important and respected family has been in contact with, and quite possibly in collusion with, those who would seek to defile the purity of our lands. Let me ask your opinion, my lady. Were you in my position, charged with guarding against heresy and evil, how would you proceed in such a case?"

Emmaline took another sip of wine as she considered her answer, increasingly uneasy with the Bishop's gaze.

***

This chapter was co-authored by Shandy (https://chyoa.com/user/Shandy) through a Roleplay! Shandy is the author of Fox in the Henhouse and The Peril's of Lisa-- please check out his stuff! :)

How does Emmaline respond to the Bishop's question?

Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)