More fun
Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)

Chapter 34 by Kalion Kalion

What do they advise you to do?

Apologize to Alexia.

"Ok Bruce." Galeon takes charge as you approach the wrestling arena, "you need to apologize to Alexia, and bring her up to date on this latest vision. Tell her to go through her documents of your possible Gifts regarding your destiny." Victor and Barticus nod in agreement. When these three agree it is almost always a bad idea, but if the Gods have a purpose for you here at Athenapolis, you have to agree with your friends.

"Ok, You guys go into the arena to start the event." You tell them as you glance back up to where Alexia's tent sits "Galeon, as Kalion's top general you will represent us as our champion, and host in my place." They all nod and take their leave. You rub your chin thinking of what you could do to make up with Alexia, finally deciding you have a tome about the 100 tribes she would like and a set of exotic twin daggers from the far east that you've seen her eyeing.

You rush to your tent, retrieving the book from a secret compartment on your traveling throne, and the wickedly curved knives from your weapons' chest. Smiling, you grab some cured lamb skin and wrap the gifts. You slip out the rear of your tent, and walk quietly to Alexia's, with most of the camp at the games it is easy to avoid being spotted, but before you can slip in her tent you hear the Ladies Sara and Mara speaking to your spymaster.

"We're sorry Lady Alexia" You hear the soft voice of Sara first and then the more diplomatic voice of Mara. "Your Sire is concerned about you My Lady, the king sent us to check up on you." You hear Aleixa's sarcastic snort, but Sara is determined although her hushed voice sounds a little fearful.

"He doesn't even know why you're mad." That much at least is true, the pretty young woman's voice drops to a conspiratorial whisper. "He doesn't realize the effect he has on women like us ... he has no idea you're in love with him."

"He's an ass." You notice that Alexia doesn't deny Mara's wild claim, she is instead focused on something else. "How hard is it for that idiot to realize I don't think risking the lives of his friends is a smart thing to do?" You almost laugh out loud when you hear what Alexia is upset about. You weren't risking your friends; you were shooting at stationary apples well within your range. You want badly to interrupt the conversation to find out more about your spymaster's feelings for you, but just as you are about to announce yourself you pause to listen as one of the sisters is speaking again.

"You didn't see the look in his eyes, Lady Alexia." You feel bad that you scared the girl, she is clearly not used to being around a confidant man like you.

"What, that irritating look of smug pride?" Alexia asks coolly and Mara takes over for her sister.

"No when he was shooting. He wasn't trying to impress us, or even the crowd." Mara takes a breath. "The King had a look of a man possessed, glaring at the officers of the United Armies and the visiting Lords from Athenapolis." You did? You barely know half of them.

"So what?" Alexia is not willing to forgive you that easily. "Bruce has never been able to hide his distaste for men he dislikes." Alexia asks more to herself.

"We're not sure, but it appeared, to me at least, that the nobles he stared at froze in fear." Mara says before Sara jumps in in agreement, "She's right, they didn't move until after everyone was leaving the stands." You hear the sound of Alexia shuffling through papers.

"The two of you are telling me he put veteran warriors in a trance-like state?" Alexia is incredulous, and so are you. You don't remember doing that, the harder you try to recall the odd vision with the drakes the less it seems real, but you still have no memory of shooting those three arrows. "Yes" both of the twins say. "That's not supposed to be possible." More papers being pushed around. "My father has recorded Bruce's borrowed powers, and none of the Gods that sponsored him would give him that ability." You hear surprised gasps. "What do you mean by borrowed powers, I thought you said King Kalion is a god in his own right?" Mara asks.

You would like to know this yourself. "Yes girls, my father was sure of this, but he was denied his symbol of Godship like Poseidon's Trident or Ares' Spear" She is right; unlike the other gods and goddesses you have no item of divine power.

"What about his longswords?" You think back to when those were made for you years ago. "No those were made by a Master Swordsmith as a gift for the young prince." Alexia explains to the twins. "He had nothing when Zeus gave him to the King & Queen of Kalion."

Why did The King of the Gods give you away without your birthright? You ask yourself for the thousandth time as from inside the tent you hear Mara's question. "So, his powers like archery, swordsmanship, and battle knowledge are his just enhanced by the gods." You marvel yet again at the time and effort Alexia's father had spent to keep track of your abilities.

"He has a weird relationship with drakes that is uniquely his," Alexia explains "and it has only gotten stronger the closer we came to this city" Aphrodite said you had yet to find your own power. Could these visions be happening because of something nearby? "I need to find out if he noticed anything odd?" Besides your two trips to Olympus and that odd vision of drakes since arriving here no.

"Lady Alexia?" Mara offers hopefully, "Right after he sent us to talk to you, I tried to get him to come see you in person, but he was staring into nothing like he was in a distant land." That must be when Aphrodite summoned you.

"That is odd." Alexia says with a hint of concern mixed in with the anger that has been the primary tone in her voice up until now. "I sure would like to know what's going on." The room falls silent, and you wonder if the two sisters are going to leave so you can talk to Alexia and give her your gifts.

Enter now or after they leave?

Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)