More fun
Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)

Chapter 75 by Nemo of Utopia Nemo of Utopia

*Which Will She Cover First, The Bagpiper, Or The Conch Chicas?*

*The Bagpiper: Yolyamanitzin, A Considerate And Just Man.*

"Let us start with Yolyamanitzin, the man who moved everyone to tears."

"Yolyamanitzin is known for being considerate and just, a highly respected individual in the community. He rarely has an unkind word to say about anyone and many seek him out for his sage wisdom and ability to cut to the heart of problems, both with thought and with his music. There are those who have submitted their disputes to him as a neutral arbitrator in the past, but they rarely do so any longer, not since his family suffered such hardship with his mother's ."

"His family have been music makers 'since time out of mind and beyond', but they are struggling since the of his mother giving birth to his youngest sister some two years ago. According to Yolyamanitzin his father Toltecatl 'Has no music in his soul since our mother died. When the light was extinguished in her eyes the songs fell silent in his heart: he hears nothing inside himself any longer but the endless monotone scream of his own rage and self-loathing, and so he cannot perform any music which will gladden any heart...' This leaves Yolyamanitzin the main provider of the family, performing music at festivals, weddings, naming ceremonies and any other major event where he can be paid to perform. The younger children run errands and do odd jobs for a few sympathetic families within the city or older couples that hope to earn favor with the spirits by supporting those less fortunate than themselves: and the older children tend a small garden plot that provides vegetables for the table, though the harvests are meager. Still, though Yolyamanitzin works himself like a dog to support his family, they too often go hungry..."

"The instrument he plays is his own invention, he says his mother brought it to him in a dream the night after she died. He learned how to play it with unnatural swiftness, and no one else has been able to master it as he has, but part of that is he refuses to teach anyone. He says that his mother must send him a sign from the spirit world that she blesses his decision to teach, and so far the signs have always been very bad: terrible nightmares of and great sickness for himself and his family if he taught any of those who have asked to learn. There is one man whom she has given her blessing to for Yolyamanitzin to teach how to MAKE the instruments, and he has learned how to play one, but not like Yolyamanitzin does, it is all self-taught, clearly an amateur apeing a master, but he is the best other player of the Chanting-Bags there is, so some seek him out to learn the basics before they approach Yolyamanitzin. His name is Zipactonal, and he is the closest thing to a friend that Yolyamanitzin has left. You should speak to him if you wish to learn more about Yolyamanitzin as he is now, rather than who he was while his mother was still alive." Ahuiliztli explains at length.

"You make him sound like a living 'Saint', what's the catch?" You ask.

"What is a 'Saint'?" Ahuiliztli and Ichtaca ask simultaneously, and you realize you haven't the foggiest clue, you just used the word and couldn't define it now if your life depended on it.

"Unimportant, there's got to be some kind of problem with this guy, he seems way too perfect! He's got some sort of sin, some vice, some flaw..." You elaborate.

"Pride, Excellency, his vice is his pride," Ahuiliztli says. "Many times he has been offered marriage by good families, who could have supported him and all his siblings, but his only love is his music and his Pride would not let him wed a woman for her family connections. He says his mother tells him that the woman for him waits where his music and her love collide without bestial lust getting in the way, and so he waits for that magical moment: meanwhile, his brothers and sisters go to bed hungry, so he can sustain himself on dreams..."

"Got it, a brilliant musician, no common sense: and arrogant to a mortal fault, glad to know the 'wunderkind' isn't quite the 'Ubermensch'..." You say.

"'wunderkind'?" Ahuiliztli queries.

"'Ubermensch'?" Ichtaca asks at almost the same moment.

This time you don't try to brush it off. "I'm not sure what those words mean either..." You admit, but get back on track. "So, the the twins with the conch shell trumpets?" You ask.

*And The Conch Players?*

Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)