More fun
Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)

Chapter 3 by mr_eff mr_eff

"So what's the first order of business, gentlemen?" says Reglin

"Inspections and Orders, guardsman"

4th Litordae, 25th day of the month of Semens (Sem), the 3672nd year of Salvation's Landing

Those gruff words caught Reglin off guard for just a moment as he looked to the source. He was a tanned and scarred man with a shaved head and bushy mustaches. The wrinkles at the ends of his eyes spoke of many days out in the sun squinting, and he was doing so now. The man had a scroll in hand and gave Reglin a slight nod of the head before gesturing to the side with his head.

Reglin nodded back and looked to where the man gestured as Reglin's fellow guards were forming up into a line in front of the Sergeant-at-arms. Seeing this, Reglin hastened to a spot at the end and stood at attention.

It was only for a few short moments that Reglin and all his comrades stood at attention before the Sergeant-of-the-Watch put them at parade rest. "For the new lad, I am Master Sergeant Grahm. I am the Sergeant-of-the-Watch for the palace guard on the day's watch." the man said in his gruff voice. The voice and the personality did not seem to match to Reglin though. As he went through the news of the day with the watch: inter-kingdom news, happenings within the capital city, and the pass down of information from the previous night's watch. Sure, he spoke in a rough voice, but his manner of speak was refined enough that it did make sense as to the Master Sergeant's assignment to the palace. After the pass down came the assignments. He went through them quickly with all assignments called out in pairs. Finally, at the end, he called out "Lim! Boll! You two will be roving today. Reglin, you are with them. As you were brought here to replace Boll, who will be nearing his time here, you are going to shadow the pair. Learn the ropes. You three hold tight." and with that Sergeant Grahm dismissed the formation to gather their arms and head out.

As the other guards went to their equipment lockers to grab their palace halberds more than likely, Sergeant Grahm came closer to your trio. He spoke more quietly so as to not distract the others more than likely as he pulled another scroll from behind the news of the day scroll. Reglin hadn't noticed that. "Reglin Farmstedt... You are not a stranger to this palace it looks like. Do you remember Boll?"

Reglin gave a sideways glance and a small nod before looking back to Sergeant Grahm and giving him a deeper nod, "Indeed Sergeant. Though not terribly familiar. In my youth I did run messages for the guards as well as any others in the palace. I came across him a few times."

Sergeant Grahm gave a slight squinty smile, "Growing up around all this and you chose to enlist? Interesting..." With that, he began to slowly pace as he looked down and read from the scroll, "So you come to us from the Western Marches campaigns. Those saw quite a bit of heat , lad." He looked up at Reglin. All Reglin did was nod in response before Grahm continued. "Scribes notes here show that you acquitted yourself well. Various acts of bravery and valor..." He looked back at Reglin, "One act is commendable in and of itself, but there more than a half-dozen here, lad." At mention of that, Lim let out a little whistle. "Says you rescued a minor Lordling from his imminent demise after he got his blood up and left himself surrounded. That you have a parcel of his land awaiting you once you leave service." Once again, he looked to Reglin.

Reglin cleared his throat before speaking, "I am sure the scribes did not note such a thing, Sergeant. And I was given credit due to it being me who grabbed him by the gorget and pulled him back amongst allies. But I assure you, it was my squad's credit for Lord Bormley's rescue." It was then that Reglin noticed that the Watch room was significantly quieter, but not empty. Sparing a glance around, all the other guards looked to be busy inspecting their weapons in a not-so-inconspicuous manner. It seemed that they all wanted to hear the intel on the new guy.

Seemed that Grahm noticed this as well, so as he went on his volume grew to dispose of any pretense. "Speaking of your squad... Witchhunters. You headed a Witchhunter squad within your company, it says. Not only did you lead it, it says you created it!" Another whistle from somewhere in the room. "Can you elaborate for me how that came to pass? How you earned to wear that?" At those words, Grahm reached out and finger the green, roped aiguillette hanging from the left shoulder of Reglin's uniform.

Clearing his throat once more, Reglin was feeling the eyes of his new companions and knew they were waiting to hear a story. "In the campaigns, the clans on the Marches use Sorcery like we breathe. Witches are everywhere within the clans. It is recognized as more of an honor in their culture, it seems. But besides all that... Most of the time we did not have true battles. There were countless skirmishes though. And in those skirmishes one of the clan's champion seemed to be unbeatable. In one of those skirmishes one of our own warwitches was able to divine out that the man was aided by sorcery. And not just ensorcelled items, but active magicks. That could only mean that Clan witches were responsible. So rather than keep sending our men to be slaughtered, I approached the Company Commander and volunteered to do the hunting. The Major then asked if any others wished to join the 'Mad Lance Corporal'. He said it in a way that was in obvious discouragement. But regardless, a half-dozen joined my little squad. And that night we went behind the clans’ lines without armor so as to reduce noise and took care of business..." Reglin left it at that.

There was a long, pregnant silence while Grahm just stared at Reglin. Finally, he spoke, "Just like that?! That's it? What? You murdered the witches in their sleep? What of the the champion? Gods, Reglin! You started off well enough, but your close sucked!" and the Master Sergeant shook his head.

Reglin gave a sheepish shrug, "It was that, yes. Not glamorous or particularly valorous. We killed three witches in their beds, though not asleep. We had the element of surprise. In the end, the champion was a notable swordsman, but not nearly as impervious as previously thought. I had the honor of dispatching him in the following morning, early. We returned from our hunt and geared up after relaying the results to the Major. He asked if our success was noticed. Telling him we did not think so, he ordered an attack before dawn, to his credit. He made best use of the surprise. In the fight their champion looked surprised and a bit frantic. He also looked about a foot shorter than previously noted. Without his magicks and the shock of not having said magicks made the man a more manageable opponent that I was able to best." Reglin really did not like all this talk. He would very much rather get on with business.

With that, the Sergeant seemed to unconsciously agree, "A more suiting finish to your tale there, Corporal. But that's enough storytime for now. Though I imagine you have quite a few more that you might be willing to share over some pints some time. Including the origin of that monster of a sword you have." Reglin just nodded to the Sergeant-of-the-Watch. He would have to see just how much of all that he would really wish to recount and share with his Senior guardsman. But Grahm continued. "So, you will be shadowing the rovers today, but not until you take care of something else first. Your presence is requested first thing to Magistricia Fulton in the libraries. Take care of that, then find Lim and Boll. Got it?"

With a curt nod, Reglin's mind wondered what the Magistricia wanted so early. Though it would be wonderful to see her again, he knew she was more of a night owl. These early mornings she was always a bit more lethargic. At their dismissal, Reglin went to his equipment locker and pulled out his flamberge and scabbard. He undid the belt holding the tabard in place neatly and lifted the tabard so as to affix the scabbard strap beneath. Once latched, he returned the tabard and belt to their original status. The flamberge also drew some eyes, but Reglin had inquired and he was authorized by military code to wield it, after the command had given it an inspection to make sure it passed inspection and craftsmanship standards.

He looked over at Lim, the closer of the pair he was to shadow today, "Hey Lim, I will see you in a bit. Let me see what is needed of me first." When Lim gave a nod and a wave, Reglin turned and followed the other guards as they headed out to their assignments.

Head to the Libraries?

Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)