More fun
Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)

Chapter 3 by Squiddog Squiddog

To the Castle?

Yes, with a surprise waiting for them

Rein and Skavel made quick work of abandoning the road and slipping across the more wide open plains that lead towards the castle, apart from knee high grass and the odd tree there was nothing between them and their destination.

As the pair closed in it was clear the castle was abandon, or at the very least not occupied by a standing army, but had been the victim of a siege given the collapsed wall and tower, but otherwise was a solid structure.

Passing over the collapsed wall they stood in the middle of a sizeable courtyard devoid of any sign of recent occupation and littered with weeds hiding any tracks, the old gatehouse stood tall in the wall with its gates cracked open but the iron portcullis still stood, albeit rusted.

"Well if nothing else we could set camp here for a few days, get the lay of the land." Rein said offhandedly, glancing around, the place was in need of repair but a moderate could still use it effectively.

Skavel hummed lightly at Reins comment and stared at what caught her eyes from the road, surrounded by the walls, in the center of the fortification stood the imposing stone keep with strong built in towers and arrow-slits aimed in every direction, unlike the exterior the jeep was mostly untouched by ant siege damage.

Rein turned to look at the keep with Skavel for a moment before something caught her eye, a small shadowy figure looking at them from a lower arrow-slit with shiny yellow eyes, unaware that they had been seen, Do you see it?" Skavel stated lowly, pretending to look further up at the keep.

"Aye, smaller then a human, we may yet have some excitement, although gods know how many others are lurking within." Rein replied, looking up at her hulking companion who smirked.

"All the more fun that way." Skavel stated before she started towards the tall stone stairs that lead up to the large old wooden doors of the keep, Rein had followed and stood beside her looking at the doors.

Years of listening for danger had honed their skills and both where aware of the movement and clatter of equipment on the other side of the doors and she say Skavel taking several deep breaths, building herself up for what was to come, Rein meanwhile readied her axe and shield for what was to come.

With a bestial roar Skavel kicked the doors open and Rein lifted her shield.

What is on the other side?

Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)