More fun
Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)

Chapter 3 by bopoznuvt bopoznuvt

What happens on the road?

They discover a shortcut.

After leaving the tavern and spending a few silver coins on supplies for the road, the trio set out on their trek toward the village of Sapila just after noon. Lorna procured a reliable map of the region from the general shop, and Fabian was known as a reputable tracker; Althea felt at ease in the presence of such experts. They marched on foot, as renting horses was expensive for such a short journey. Fabian remarked that with luck and favorable weather, they would arrive at Sapila by the following night. He explained that the winding road up the mountain to Sapila had fallen into disrepair. Likely as zero trade meant zero incentive for the merchant lords to refurbish the infrastructure. All because the village suddenly rebuked any outside visitors about three years ago.

Althea listened to the local history lesson from the one-eyed tracker over the next two hours. Unfortunately she failed to notice a pothole underfoot, and tripped, falling to her hands and knees. The acolyte hissed in pain and looked down to find the hem of her robes torn and a scrape on her shin. Lorna stooped down to take a closer look before staring at the acolyte with unmoved eyes.

"Can you walk, lass?" the dwarf asked flatly. Althea rose to her feet, dusted herself off, and nodded silently. Fabian had continued on ahead, but he paused now, staring off to the left side of the path. The two women caught up to him, and the bald mercenary pointed toward a mottled, gray cliff face.

"You see that?" he narrowed his eye and drew his sword. Althea saw nothing, but upon looking back down the path ahead she felt disheartened. Potholes, ditches, and uneven terrain lay in a patchwork of disrepair on the road ahead of them. Knowing her accident-prone nature led Althea to expect many more trips and scrapes before the day was done.

"See what, you old fool?" Lorna replied, but after a moment of furrowed brows, she grinned. "That's a shortcut, eh?" Althea looked back again and at last made out a small symbol carved above one of the craggy alcoves. Lorna drew one battleaxe and slunk low, ducking into the alcove. To Althea's astonishment, Lorna seemed to disappear into the face of the cliff.

"What?! Witchcraft?!" Althea gasped, reaching for her prayer book. Fabian gave her a dismissive wave before following after the dwarf.

"No, girl, it's an old thieves' tunnel. Just an illusion," he retorted before also disappearing into the cliff face.

Althea had so many questions. This was her first adventure outside the temple without a mentor, after all. Finding herself alone on the bumpy road, Althea darted off the very beaten path, through the grass, and into the secret shortcut. Immediately, her eyes were met with a wall of darkness.

"F-Fabian? Lorna?" she stammered, blinded without the light of day. The sudden torchlight bathed her companions in an orange glow, each sporting a bemused smirk. Fabian led the way, torch in hand, scanning the man-made stone walls. The dwarf beckoned the girl follow, and she complied, huddling inside the limited light source. "How did you see that small symbol from so far away? With... well..." she trailed off, pursing her lips.

"With one eye?" the man belted out a hoarse laugh before pointing his sword down the tunnel before them. "Been through paths like these all my life. Built by the old thieves' guild, you see. True, they sometimes have traps," he added much to Althea's distress. This only brought out another chuckle, "but your temple hired specialists, little lady. You have no reason to worry." But worry she did, clutching her prayer book to her chest, whispering the hymns of her goddess.

What do they find along the shortcut?

Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)