More fun
Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)

Chapter 2 by The-Drunken-Bandit The-Drunken-Bandit

what kind of man are you?

The lonley game maker...

You? You’re one of the lucky few in the world that's achieved all your dreams…

You are Oscar Knox.

You've become a very successful indie videogame developer with many accolades to your name, you’ve been around the world more than once and have become accustomed to a lot of the different cultures that exist out there in the world.

Your rich, successful, and totally alone in the world…

Alone?

Yes, my dear reader alone.

You are alone for the fact that you have never been a social creature; this is due to your upbringing as a military brat. Your family would always jump every three years from base to base, state to state, from country to country, going wherever the government needed them to be and as a result, you've cut yourself off from the rest of the world.

The reason for this being that you’ve never truly had any friendships last longer than three years before you had to move with your parents and forever leave those friends behind, So naturally, the thought arose that you should stop trying to be social with others as you would most likely never see them again the next time your family moved.

This was a terrible mistake, and it is only now as a grown adult that you fully understand and comprehend it. For without growing up with friends and people to connect with you slowly lost your ability to talk with others. As a result, you developed a very stoic and quiet personality.

This personality has hampered your ability to interact with others many a time, but you can’t say that it hasn’t come without its advantages. For it is with this personality and your normal quiet demeanor that you have been able to blend into the background most the time, and as a result, you saw the true nature of many people who thought you weren’t looking.

It is because of this you have long since learned that mankind often has two faces, the first one being the one that everyone sees on the outside, their public face as it were. Then there is the other face the one they show only to their family, to the ones that they trust the most or care about the least, this is the real face, their private face.

You’ve seen the private faces of many people, and you have seen good and bad from all of them. You’ve seen families who are the picturesque nuclear family on the outside, but in reality, in private they are complete and total monsters to each other, who hate and despise each other to the ends of the earth.

Sigh… Just thinking about this duality of man brings up the very reason why you are a very private person. You don’t know who to trust, and now with your wealth that you’ve gained from your successful videogame series, you don’t think you can trust anyone, at least not fully.

Yes, yes, you know it’s paranoid to think such a thought but considering your past interactions with other people it’s understandable. Thankfully, nobody truly knows that you are the author of an amazing videogame series as you went under a pseudonym of Badgeek Ink because you didn’t like the thought of being harassed by the press or Youtubers or whatever fanatic fan that wanted to meet you.

However, as you lean back into your comfortable La-Z-Boy recliner in your large yet secluded castle-like mansion in the middle of the Appalachian Hills, you truly begin to reflect upon your life and look back at all that time you spent alone in the quiet background of the world.

Though you were lonely through most of your teenage years, you can’t say it wasn’t to your benefit as you look back at the many skills and abilities that you learned in this private time to yourself. For it was only with these skills were you able to bring to life many of your videogame creations. However, it wasn’t all books and studying as you became a rather big fan of popular book series, cartoons, anime, and video games.

Heh. God but the amount of time you wasted on playing video games and watching cartoons you could’ve easily gotten a girlfriend but c’est la vie you didn’t, and you severely regret it.

Sigh… But you can’t say it’s not all bad, especially after turning on the news every now and again. Good Lord, how did our world becomes so fucking messed up? There are a lot of wackos running around these days, and personally, that just gives you all the more reason to keep to yourself.

Argh… What are you complaining you have a good life! Your rich, successful, and in good health things that a lot of people would kill for and have killed for.

Sigh… You shouldn’t let these dark thoughts keep you down. You need to cheer up and do something to take your mind off of these dark thoughts, though the question does arise of what-

*ding**dong*

Your mind screeches to a halt as your ears perk up at the sound of somebody ringing your doorbell.

This was rather peculiar, you didn’t have any guests coming over, and you didn’t order any packages. Not to mention you live deep in the woods, so deep in the woods that it takes the mailman all day to reach your house out here and as a result, you’re often the last stop in the day for the Postal Service.

With that said this has become even more strange as it’s the middle of the night, most everybody has gone home to be with their families by now. You of course at first thought that it may be some kids, but again you live in the middle of the woods, no one would come out here unless they specifically came out here to meet you.

It can’t be robbers they would’ve just broken into your home through a window or something. So again who could possibly be ringing your doorbell so late in the evening?

So out of curiosity and concern, you immediately stand up from your comfortable recliner and make your way to your front door. As you do this, you see the many different knickknacks and souvenirs you’ve collected throughout your journeys through the world.

These knickknacks come in many different shapes and sizes; some are small like that souvenir Tiki you got from Hawaii that one summer vacation. Others are rather large such as the replica suits of armor that fill your home’s circular main foyer/entrance. There are many other knickknacks you’ve collected throughout your journeys and vacations to the world, but those could be saved for later as you have a mystery to investigate.

As you near the large dark mahogany door that makes up your front door you immediately look through the nearby security pad that’s connected to a door camera in order to see whatever’s on the other side.

What you see is a rather plain sight of a very large cardboard box the size of a refrigerator on a dolly waiting for pick up. This already is a suspicious package, and you hesitate to even bring it into your home but for some reason… You can’t help yourself but open the door and bring it inside…

This compulsion you feel it’s… Strange and concerning… However, by the time you finally shake yourself free of this compulsion its already too late for you have already brought the box into your home and into your rather large living room.

Shaking your head, you see the box sitting in the middle of your living room right next to the large redwood stump coffee table you bought out at Oregon during a trip to Seattle. Already unnerved by the sudden compulsion that you had to bring this thing in you look left and right of the room to see if somebody else came in with you and you see nothing but you in your large living room.

Your living room is decorated simply with a dark hardwood floor, warm red wallpaper with a dark trim, a couple of lamps, a large old Western chandelier, a large U-shaped dark leather couch that sits facing the fireplace, a couple of bookcases filled with a litany of knickknacks that you’ve collected, and the large flat screen TV that on top of the mantle of the fireplace along with a couple videogame consoles.

This is extremely strange, every instinct inside of you should have made you not bring the box in and yet here it is in your living room.

Sigh… Oh well i brought the damn thing in might as well see what’s inside of it. So with that said you immediately go to a nearby cabinet and grab a box cutter and immediately cracked the sucker open.

An once the mysterious box is opened. You see that it’s just a large clear glass display containing hundreds if not thousands of DVDs. It looks like a very strange yet well-built custom jukebox of some kind, it even has a power cord connected to it and out of curiosity you can’t help but plug it in and see what it does.

Once plugged into a nearby outlet in between two of your bookcases you can see on the machines little display panel that it is looking for a Bluetooth connection and from there you can easily guess it’s looking for your TV to hook up to. So again, out of curiosity you wirelessly connect to your large flat screen TV to this strange jukebox like device and what happens next completely surprises you.

For as you switch your tv to the wireless connection that this jukebox is set up on, you see that this large jukebox is some kind of massive archive of cartoons and other works of fiction. You can see that there’s a help desk option as well, but you decide to ignore it in favor of searching through the many different cartoon DVDs that exist throughout this archive.

You can see that the DVDs are divided up into the parent companies or by the sub-genre that their contents belong to and immediately you begin to look through these categories that this archive is divided itself up into.

Where do you look?

Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)