More fun
Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)

Chapter 3 by crunchyspag crunchyspag

Where to next?

The coronation, of course!

Ah yes, the coronation. While it does feel interminably long, waiting as the blowhard high priest reads the usual shtick, it gives you a good opportunity to think about your situation.

You now rule the Kingdom of Ostgrenze, though it is a kingdom more in name than fact. Your country, though small, has guaranteed its independence, of a sort, by joining the Noble Confederation, a sprawling group of loosely-allied realms ranging from moderately sized to little more than minor city-states. Despite the difficulties of managing such a network, the Confederation has generally done a good job of protecting its members from the powerful kingdoms and empires in the area.

You must now think about how to proceed. One path to greatness would be election to High Lord of the Confederation, the leader of said alliance. Selected by the most prestigious of the member states, the High Lord is entrusted with the resources of the members, and in return must protect them and their interests. As one of the only two kingdoms in the Confederation, you are well-placed to take this role.

Your kingdom, though small, has a competent military, experienced from various Confederation wars and defending against barbarian raids to the east, where your kingdom forms the linchpin of the Confederation's border protection. The crafty rule of your great-grandfather, a mercantile genius, assured that several trade routes now flow through your kingdom, namely the route to Geldfurt, trade capital of the Confederation, and a shaky route to the exotic Eastern sultanates, through wild territory mostly held by the barbarian tribes. While your kingdom is relatively prosperous, improving one or both of these routes would ensure a golden age, literally and metaphorically, all other factors controlled for.

Internally, as with any new king, you must strengthen your power against self-interested nobles. Peace at home will surely help accomplish any task you have in mind, ingloriousness of this goal aside.

Eventually the high priest ends his speech, and you take the crown. The swears are given, oaths of fealty received, and so on. A waste of an afternoon but fine.

What next?

Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)