More fun
Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)

Chapter 3 by hobbyistnobody hobbyistnobody

Your course of action is...

Search the wreckage for a trail...

You're an accomplished hunter and tracker. Whoever sacked this caravan, judging by the ferocity of the attack, likely wasn't very cautious. There had to be something to lead you back to their hideout, and all their ill-gotten gains as well...

It's difficult in the dark, the flames from the wagon casting bewildering shadows and making it hard to see in the dark, but you find something: a footprint, leading east. Smallish, likely belonging to a woman, and it's the only one you see, but you know there had to be more.

You follow the direction it went and find another, and from there you can track them easily through the woods. Bent branches, grass or shrubs, markings in the mud where particularly heavy cargo was dragged or footprints are particularly deep, and in hardly any time you find yourself at the edge of their encampment.

It's at the foot of a hill, and it looks surprisingly defensible. Large wooden walls with spiked tips, guard towers on each side of a sturdy gate, it looks like a military fort, not something a group of bandits would have. You watch from the shadowy woods, looking for any sign of guards... and after several minutes, you still haven't seen any.

Odd. No activity whatsoever on the towers. You decide to make a break for the walls. Just because no one's in the towers doesn't mean you vault over the gates and take your chances. You're not an idiot, not like your brother. Through the darkness you move swiftly, your footsteps quiet, and you reach the perimeter with no problem, ears straining for any sound. No voices, no clanking of armor or weapons. Undetected. But this is odd.

You creep along quietly, looking for an opening, and on the far side you find one, a damaged wall that looks like it had been that way for a long while. You stand at your full height and manage to look over, eyeing the courtyard. So, that explains it...

It's a simple place, low stone buildings surrounding the dirt courtyard, a fire crackling in the middle of it and showing the tattered banners that once flew proudly, but were now faded and rotting from the stands. An old fort that belonged to the military, left abandoned and now used by these bandits to prey on travelers from the nearby road. You see four sleeping bags, gently rising and falling with the breath of their occupants, and no one else. Some small time gang got lucky in finding this place, too small to have a patrol, apparently.

You smile fiercely as you formulate a plan. Just four? You could take them, you could end them before they even got out of their sleeping bags. It's just too damn easy...

What should you do?

Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)