More fun
Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)

Chapter 2 by grimbous grimbous

What's next?

STORY BEGINS HERE

Eros on the Orient Eclipse

When Richard and Aria entered the “Guaranteed Covid-Free Cruise” lottery they hadn't a clue what they were in store for. As expensive as the couple's-ticket was Aria had mainly bought it because the profits were going to a good cause. The chance at an all expenses paid trip was just a pleasant fantasy to dream about in the meantime. To their surprise their ticket was drawn as one of the winners! However, what followed the initially exciting news was an ordeal that made them each doubt whether it was all worth it.

A binding legal contract agreeing to abide by all rules and conditions outlined by the company, a rigorous month long screening process, a flight on a private jet to Singapore, being picked up at the airport right on the tarmac and whisked away straight to their lodging without even a tour of the city, two weeks of strict isolation sealed off in a hotel room, swabs and blood tests every two days, a full physical exam at the end of each week, and the only human contact from outside in the form of nurses or cleaning staff decked out in full hazmat suits.

The company spared no expense to ensure that the cruise was Covid-free. Their guarantee wasn't just a marketing gimmick, they were backing it up with cold hard cash. Written into the contracts was a clause that stated that anyone who contracted the disease during the cruise would receive half a million US dollars.

On the bright side, thanks to a good internet connection and flexible bosses, both of them had been able to continue working remotely as they had been doing anyways back at home. And, while this had taken it up a few notches, after so many months of following government and scientific protocols they were pretty acclimatized to living as shut ins at this point.

It had been a long slog but the day had finally arrived when they would at last get their vacation. A break not just from their jobs and home-life, but from masks and distancing and the smell of hand sanitizer and even the relentless news related to the pandemic. For three glorious weeks they could put this nightmare of a year out of their minds. It would be so nice to freely mingle with new people again.

The cruise would take them from Singapore to Sapporo Japan, stopping along the way at specially built resorts on a few isolated islands where the virus had yet to touch. They would get to see some of the sights of the Philippines, China, Taiwan, and Japan from the safety of the ship.

They are suited up in full bright orange hazmat suits and lead through the hotel to the front where three long unmarked buses were parked. Their belongings, which had been taken to be thoroughly sanitized the day before, would be waiting for them in their room on the ship. As they stood there more and more bright orange clad people were lead out by the staff to wait with them. Every person in identical gloves, booties, full coveralls, hoods, masks and face shields. The lot was quite a sight. The couple soon realized that this entire hotel had been reserved exclusively for the people who had won the lottery.

Once all of the guests had been lead out of the building, Aria guessed there were around 100 of them in total, they were loaded aboard the buses and driven to a nearby private port. Again they are taken directly to their destination. Two weeks in Singapore and they hadn't even seen the Supertree Grove, the Marina Bay Sands, or any of the famous sights of the city.

At the port the guests were ushered out of the buses and into a departure area. Here the suits were stripped and they were lead through one final stage of disinfection before let out the other side of the fenced off dock are where they were at last allowed to move about freely.

As they stand there shoulder to shoulder, unsure of what they were supposed to do next, Richard inspects the ship while Aria looks around at the other passengers.

“The Orient Eclipse.” Richard reads out the name of the ship. “Nice boat!” Modern and sleek the vessel was closer to a large luxury yacht than one of those gigantic hotel on the water that the cruise lines used.

“Notice something weird about the other winners?” Aria whispers as her eyes dart between the various groups and individuals standing in the hot Singapore sun with them.

“Huh?”

“There's no children. No families. Couples and singles only.” She says. “Maybe they put family-ticket winners on another boat?”

Looking around he sees that she was correct. It was a motley assortment of people from across the globe. About half of them stood as couples like Richard and Aria, a few of them same-sex couples, where as the rest seemed to be on their own. The ages ranged from freshman college aged right up to one frail old fellow who looked to be into his 90's, though the majority were somewhere in their 20's to 50's. They looked to be from all backgrounds and all walks of life. But no kids.

“Hmm. This must be one of those adult only cruises.” Richard quips suggestively before crooning. “The loooove boooat!”

“Shut up!” Aria laughs as she elbows him in the ribs.

The only thing that seemed to unite this group was they all had at least a functional understanding of the English language. This much was evident when instructions were given back in the bus. Richard was just about to suggest they begin mingling when a uniformed man at the base of the gangplank calls out in a booming voice.

“ALL ABOARD!”

What's next?

Want to support CHYOA?
Disable your Ad Blocker! Thanks :)